Slice of GTD Life with a technical consultant in Ghana

Barb

Registered
Fabulous Interview!

Wow, Enyo...that was a fantastic interview! I'm curious to know how long you've been "doing" GTD? (Maybe you said that and I didn't pick up on it).

I'm looking forward to hearing other comments as well. Really great!

enyonam

Registered
Thanks Kelly - such kind words. And btw, you're a great interviewer! It was like having a conversation on my living room couch :)

And thanks Barb! Nice to hear from you as well - I've been listening to you on GTD-VSG and reading you in the forums for years. I totally think you should start the GTD humor section :)

You ladies have made my Sunday.

How long have I been doing GTD? Well, I read the book in '01 or '02 and then tried to implement it several times ... not very successfully. ;-) In fact, I barely had a collected list of commitments let alone next actions by context, checklists, HOF, etc. But I stayed attracted because I could see how much a difference even collecting made and so was sure there were more gems in the methodology to uncover.

Then in '06, I picked up a new role that was more demanding and that compelled me to figure out a system. I did the whole weekend implementation and settled on MLO at the time. Since then I would say I've haven't really fallen off the GTD wagon. In other words, since then, I have evolved my system rather than had to do a whole implementation / re-implementation.

So I'd say 6 years with a 5-year teething stage :D

newellg

Registered
Thanks Enyo

Excellent interview, and some very useful insights into the Weekly review and the importance of it. Thanks Kelly as well.

Regards

G

Barb

Registered
Follow up

enyonam;94143 said:
Thanks Kelly - such kind words. And btw, you're a great interviewer! It was like having a conversation on my living room couch :)

And thanks Barb! Nice to hear from you as well - I've been listening to you on GTD-VSG and reading you in the forums for years. I totally think you should start the GTD humor section :)

You ladies have made my Sunday.

How long have I been doing GTD? Well, I read the book in '01 or '02 and then tried to implement it several times ... not very successfully. ;-) In fact, I barely had a collected list of commitments let alone next actions by context, checklists, HOF, etc. But I stayed attracted because I could see how much a difference even collecting made and so was sure there were more gems in the methodology to uncover.

Then in '06, I picked up a new role that was more demanding and that compelled me to figure out a system. I did the whole weekend implementation and settled on MLO at the time. Since then I would say I've haven't really fallen off the GTD wagon. In other words, since then, I have evolved my system rather than had to do a whole implementation / re-implementation.

So I'd say 6 years with a 5-year teething stage :D

I love that---with a "teething stage"--that's priceless.

I think we talked once on a live call--I have a neighbor with a granddaughter in Ghana, remember? She has either already moved back to the States or is getting ready to--being so far from home was more than she could deal with, apparently.

And thanks for the nice comments.

enyonam

Registered
Weekly reviews do rock!

thanks newellg :) glad to hear it.

the weekly review has definitely helped me keep trusting my system. because i know it's up-to-date it always feels relevant and i can depend on it as reference if I have to make a quick choice about what I focus on at a particular moment. i remember freaking out when i realised that with everything that comes at me in a given day, once every 7-10 days wasn't going to be enough!

But now that I have figured out how to add processing time just about everyday I find weekly reviews are less about get clear and get current and more about get creative.

enyonam

Registered
Barb;94147 said:
I love that---with a "teething stage"--that's priceless.

I think we talked once on a live call--I have a neighbor with a granddaughter in Ghana, remember? She has either already moved back to the States or is getting ready to--being so far from home was more than she could deal with, apparently.

And thanks for the nice comments.

I remember! gosh, that was a couple of years ago wasn't it? with that memory are you sure you need GTD Barb?? ;) Well if she is still in Ghana or would otherwise like to connect please do get in touch. You can reach me at enyo2470@aol.com. I'd love to meet up with her and find out about her experience, or see if I can assist with the move back.

Barb

Registered
I'll see what I can find out

enyonam;94169 said:
I remember! gosh, that was a couple of years ago wasn't it? with that memory are you sure you need GTD Barb?? ;) Well if she is still in Ghana or would otherwise like to connect please do get in touch. You can reach me at enyo2470@aol.com. I'd love to meet up with her and find out about her experience, or see if I can assist with the move back.

I'll check with her grandmother and see what I can find out. That's a very kind offer!!

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Thanks so much, Enyo, for sharing your GTD story!

Loved listening to your chat with Kelly. Have to say, you're a star, in how you've hung in there and kept going. I'm sure even if you fall off the wagon from time to time (please tell me you do, too, like me...otherwise you'd be too good to be true)...you can hop back onto the GTD wagon very easily as required. Mark of the master.

In any case, I'm assuming you'll stay in touch. And know that your sharing probably means a lot to a lot of folks, who benefit from such productivity Light!

All the best,

David

enyonam

Registered
Christmas came early!

Thanks David! I must say my year has been made seeing your forum post :) Some people get excited seeing an actor or singer but I just finished flipping out over David Allen actually listening to 30 mins of me talking! Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. I wish I could say I never fall off the wagon but alas... i do ... usually with a thud. :) Funnily enough, I think it's at least partly the falling off the wagon and getting back on that helped me refine, and trust, my system. I suppose in a way, it's good practice.

I will absolutely stay in touch and keep active in the forums - GTD has made such a different in my ability to achieve my goals and manage my commitments and I hope I can support others as we go along this journey.

Hey Barb, Haven't heard from you yet. Do let me know if I can assist with your neighbors granddaughter. It would be my pleasure to assist!

Barb

Registered
Update--sorry for the delay!

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you with further details. Here's what's happening with them now.

They have moved back to the U.S...for now. They are, however, building a home in Ghana (I think in Acar) and he will be returning in February to check on things (he is from Ghana and she is from the U.S.) They want to start a family and want the child to be raised "internationally", so there will be lots of back and forth, apparently.

There is an upcoming around-the-world trip with her parents...through National Geographic. Not sure when that will happen. Anyway, I would love to be able to put you in touch with them through her grandmother if you can send me contact information privately!

Barb

Registered
Done

Also check your AOL address for an email from me! I also replied on Connect with a bit more information.

TesTeq

Registered
Highly recommended!

kelstarrising;94127 said:
I just posted an interview with one of your fellow GTD Connect members, Enyo. What an amazing demonstration of technical prowess and GTD mastery.

Check it out: https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=413&trackid=1032

I've just listened to this interview.

Just a great Slice of GTD Life that will convince you that there are people with no "WR Problem".

If you consciously choose what you should be doing you have no problem with reviewing your progress (or lack of it :) ).

Highly recommended :!:

GTDmw

Registered
Wonderful Interview

Enyo,

I had a nice coast to coast flight recently and had a chance to listen to your interview with Kelly. Great stuff! Thank you for sharing and contributing your experience and wisdom to the larger GTD world.

Mike

enyonam

Registered
Great to hear Mike! My pleasure. I read an interview you gave and you mentioned you'd love to see a GTD Summit this year. And I'd just like to say sign me up! I'll definitely make the trip (hopefully there's enough notice).

Enyo

louiskim

Registered
Should be part of How to do GTD starter kit

Enyo,

Thanks for sharing. Your mastery is inspiring. A valuable emphasis was the idea of paying attention to the attractiveness of one's system so one is drawn to discipline rather than being driven by guilt.

Louis Kim
Vice President, Advanced Platforms Group
Hewlett-Packard

enyonam

Registered
Your "In Conversation" was great too Louis! I thought the story of your son was just too precious. I hope he has his own notetaker wallet now? :) I really liked your idea of the brown bag lunches. I have had GTD + eProductivity sessions for a large group a couple of times (thanks Eric Mack!), and I think having this more casual 'come-in-and-chat' approach would be a change of pace that'll be appreciated. I'll be trying it out more.

In fact, I had my first (unplanned) one yesterday after one of my direct reports had listened to this Slice of Life interview. He was particularly interested in the concept of contexts and in the workflow diagram. And I knew it went well when I got an evening text message with a random GTD + Evernote question :)