Slice of GTD Life with Ariadne

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Without having heard the interview yet, this Someday/Maybe thing is something I can totally relate to... :)

Looking forward to listening!
Wait until you hear the beginning, and you'll know why your ears were burning. You're my example of having to wait months before we found a time to record. Well worth the wait.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Wait until you hear the beginning, and you'll know why your ears were burning. You're my example of having to wait months before we found a time to record. Well worth the wait.
I'm about half way into the episode now.

First of all I was a bit thrown off by the beginning! :)

I don't know to what extent it comes through in our chat from last year, but what @Ariadne Marques shares really resonates with me - such an inspiring listen! I'm just sligthly more lazy than her, it seems...

Ariadne Marques

Registered
I'm about half way into the episode now.

First of all I was a bit thrown off by the beginning! :)

I don't know to what extent it comes through in our chat from last year, but what @Ariadne Marques shares really resonates with me - such an inspiring listen! I'm just sligthly more lazy than her, it seems...
Hi, @René Lie! I'm glad you're finding it inspiring! I remember in your chat with @John Forrister that you mentioned you could implement GTD in any tool now. I kinda feel the same way nowadays, it's just a matter of enjoying enough the chosen tool to stick with it, I guess!

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Hi, @René Lie! I'm glad you're finding it inspiring! I remember in your chat with @John Forrister that you mentioned you could implement GTD in any tool now. I kinda feel the same way nowadays, it's just a matter of enjoying enough the chosen tool to stick with it, I guess!
Totally agree!

I haven't actually put my money where my mouth is and tried other tools full scale, but I'm pretty sure I would be able to make it work.
That being said, as I don't think that the tool that would fit all my needs and desires exists, I have stopped looking and stick with Asana...

Now, I'm excited to check out the video version of the episode, as I am an avid Excel user, too!

TesTeq

Registered
@John Forrister I can't wait to listen to your conversation with @Ariadne Marques, but unfortunately it's on my Someday/Maybe list. And the access to this list is guarded by a horrible guardian, to whom I have to write applications. Unfortunately, he accepts these applications only once a week! ;)

mksilk2

Registered
Great recording. I found many similarities between Ariadne's set up and mine. One area I am now exploring is moving my work GTD Tasks and Projects into Nirvana where my personal GTD Tasks and Projects are managed. My work offers MS ToDo, but I can access Nirvana via the web and as no one else really uses ToDo at work and as long as I'm not saving confidential information in Nirvana then I can do it.

Ariadne Marques

Registered
Totally agree!

I haven't actually put my money where my mouth is and tried other tools full scale, but I'm pretty sure I would be able to make it work.
That being said, as I don't think that the tool that would fit all my needs and desires exists, I have stopped looking and stick with Asana...

Now, I'm excited to check out the video version of the episode, as I am an avid Excel user, too!
I think I mentioned I had a link on my blog for that Excel template, you can find it at the end of this post here: https://noisydeadlines.net/gtd-journey-connecting-it-all-with-a-dashboard

Ariadne Marques

Registered
Great recording. I found many similarities between Ariadne's set up and mine. One area I am now exploring is moving my work GTD Tasks and Projects into Nirvana where my personal GTD Tasks and Projects are managed. My work offers MS ToDo, but I can access Nirvana via the web and as no one else really uses ToDo at work and as long as I'm not saving confidential information in Nirvana then I can do it.
Yeah, at my work people haven't really started using MS To Do, and since I'm still allowed to use Nirvana, I'm sticking with it. I've tested MS To Do and I enjoy it, it's an elegant application. But I still prefer Nirvana to handle bigger and more complex projects. If something happens and I'm not allowed to use Nirvana at work anymore, then I would certainly use MS To Do.

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I think I mentioned I had a link on my blog for that Excel template, you can find it at the end of this post here: https://noisydeadlines.net/gtd-journey-connecting-it-all-with-a-dashboard

Wow! and double wow! Calling this going down a rabbit hole (like Alice in Wonderland) describes it well. I got caught up in there looking around. I had the thought, "No wonder my life is the way it is instead of lots better."
I never learned that the better life I wish I had results from conscious planning with an incredible level of detail.

@Ariadne Marques, thank you for this example. I'm not quite able to grasp it yet, even though it is written in clear ordinary language, at least mostly. It's just an amazing landscape with (I think) many different levels that allow the higher horizons to inform and shape the lower horizons! I copied your page to my favorites because I want to be able to review it later as I get further along in GTD. I appreciate GTD examples so much to see how it can be done.

Ariadne Marques

Registered
Wow! and double wow! Calling this going down a rabbit hole (like Alice in Wonderland) describes it well. I got caught up in there looking around. I had the thought, "No wonder my life is the way it is instead of lots better."
I never learned that the better life I wish I had results from conscious planning with an incredible level of detail.

@Ariadne Marques, thank you for this example. I'm not quite able to grasp it yet, even though it is written in clear ordinary language, at least mostly. It's just an amazing landscape with (I think) many different levels that allow the higher horizons to inform and shape the lower horizons! I copied your page to my favorites because I want to be able to review it later as I get further along in GTD. I appreciate GTD examples so much to see how it can be done.
Thanks for the kind words @Mrs-Polifax! I guess everybody will have a different way of connecting the higher with the lower horizons, and that is just the way it works for me. I hope it gives you inspiration to figure out your own way in the future :). Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to share thoughts!

Ariadne Marques

Registered
I'm looking forward to watching this. I'll probably have to do it in two or three viewings, but I am sure it will be well worth it.

I'm embarrassed to say I have yet to watch @René Lie's video. Maybe I can polish off both this weekend.
Heh, I just realized the recording is more than an hour long! It definitely didn't feel that long with @John Forrister: he has a way of being ultra supportive and I had a wonderful time recording it :).

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I'm always okay with interviews that go longer. Maybe it's an audio/video version of long form journalism. I believe that everyone who has sincerely put in some effort to implement GTD has an interesting perspective on how GTD interacts with their life.