Small Fountain Pen?

marcia

Registered
For me one of the pleasures in having a paper-based system has been using my favorite fountain pen at my desk. Now I'm looking for a fountain pen for on the go. For notetaking, I have a small notebook (by Classic Diary) that has a pocket (like a wallet) where I keep a small ballpoint pen. I'd really like to have a fountain pen for it but it needs to be no longer than 4" with the cap on. Does anyone have any recommendations?

ceehjay

Registered
Pleasure of a fine pen?

$200 plus for a 4" fountain pen? I'm nowhere near that "fine." I will seek my pleasures elsewhere.

Carolyn

MsftMan

Registered
ceehjay said:
$200 plus for a 4" fountain pen? I'm nowhere near that "fine." I will seek my pleasures elsewhere.

Carolyn
You'd be surprised, if you had the opportunity to have someone show you some good pens and write with them, then your opinion might change. A good fountain pen is an expression of yourself and your style. As much as I am a tech geek, I still love ol' world tools.

ceehjay

Registered
"lacking couth"

MsftMan said:
You'd be surprised, if you had the opportunity to have someone show you some good pens and write with them, then your opinion might change. A good fountain pen is an expression of yourself and your style. As much as I am a tech geek, I still love ol' world tools.
I express myself in other ways. :) I have had the opportunity to write with some quality pens. I'm happy with my Pilot V5 and a mechanical pencil. Pens have a way of disappearing where I work. People love my V5s.

Gameboy 70 said:
Guess what going on my Someday/Maybe list?
Yeah, there are some $200 and up goodies on my Someday/Maybe list, too, but not a $200 pen.

Carolyn

severance1970

Registered
ceehjay said:
I'm happy with my Pilot V5 and a mechanical pencil. Pens have a way of disappearing where I work. People love my V5s.

I'm a V7 man myself. But I have to agree with the point being implied: these days, there very little correlation between the price of the pen and its quality (unlike shoes). Over $40, the value added is largely aesthetic.

M

Mork

Space Pens Are Out of This World!!!

I'm surprised that nothing has been mentioned of the venerable Space Pen. I suppose it's because they are a tip over 5" with the cap on but they are only about 3" with the cap off.

I love mine . . .and it's only $15.00 at Staples. Writes very nicely.

kewms

Registered
There are also Cartier and Montblanc fountain pens in the size range you're looking for. I especially like the Cartier because it is slim as well as short.

The price, however, is quite chunky. I'm admiring that one from afar for the time being.

There are lots of good ballpoint pens in that size range. I detest ballpoints, but discovered that there's a Parker gel refill in the same form factor as the Parker ballpoint. Not quite as nice as a fountain pen, but not bad.

It's funny that the same people who get bent out of shape over $200 pens think nothing of spending many times that on computers and other gadgets that will be obsolete in two years. I've written nearly a million words with one of my Watermans, dropped it more than once, and wrecked the nib. Got it back good as new under Waterman's lifetime guarantee, and am looking forward to the next million words.

For what it's worth, there are noticeable differences among fountain pens. Gold, platinum, and steel nibs all feel slightly different. If you use one for more than writing checks, the balance matters a lot, too. However, the superexpensive ones (say, over $400 or so) tend to make really lousy writing instruments. They've sacrificed balance and writing comfort in the interests of conspicuous display: someone who spends $400 or more on a pen wants everyone to know it. For serious writing, I like the plain lacquer finishes in the $50 to $150 range. I use a gold nib, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Katherine

MsftMan

Registered
Mork said:
I'm surprised that nothing has been mentioned of the venerable Space Pen. I suppose it's because they are a tip over 5" with the cap on but they are only about 3" with the cap off.

I love mine . . .and it's only $15.00 at Staples. Writes very nicely.
All of us Fisher Space Pen users love our pens, it's just that the person asked specifcally for "fountain" pen in those dimensions.

marcia

Registered
Thank you all for the suggestions. I do have a Space Pen and they're cool but there's just something about writing with a fountain pen that I enjoy :) Katherine, I agree about the gold nibs -- my Pelikan has a 14kt gold nib, it brings a certain amount of flexibility. I did find a small Pelikan 300 but it's a bit pricey, it'll have to go on the Someday/Maybe list. :) I'm considering this pen:

http://www.spaldingpens.com/fountainpen.html

Looks like a good, rugged everyday pen and has a fine point (which I like). I'm not sure about the stainless nib, what that will be like compared to my Pelikan, but it does have a good review.

Day Owl

Registered
Msftman said:

All of us Fisher Space Pen users love our pens

Not all of us -- I thought I would love mine, but the cap keeps falling off when I write. Does anyone else have this problem?

aderoy

Registered
IIRC, the Monteverde Diva is rather small, but is cartridge only filler.

Also the Sensa Meridian not posted (has a converter) might be within the requirements.

Conway Steward has one called the Dinky - for a reason.*grin*

The Caran d'Ache Ecridor is slim as a normal pen.

J

JoHunter

Inoxcrom

I may be in the minority but I found a cheap fountain pen that I absolutely love, and it's quite short. It's by Inoxcrom, has an iridium nib, and accepts standard short cartridges. It's nothing special buy anyone's standards but I really enjoy how it feels in my hand, as I write, and how small it is. I got mine from WHSmiths for about £7. For that price you can afford to give it a try before saving up for an expensive fountain pen.

J

joncheyne

inoxcrom!

A "me too" on the Inoxcrom - small AND cheap ... :)

akonpittbull

Registered
I am a writer so you can consider now, what is my job. Actually I love to write the stories but specially with the fountain pen because my handwriting comes awesome in that and That thing lets me more excited. Not me but for all, fountain pen is the best to get the nice writing.