Some Notes from Alan: My GTD Setup (A Three-Part Post)

elbow

Registered
Alan, thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response to my questions and for providing lots of great advice. As someone who's spent too much time in the past sat in meetings I didn't need to go to, wishing I was somewhere else, you've given me a lot to think about.

I've printed your reply out and will be keeping it in mind over the next few weeks, especially every time I get a meeting invite!

Thanks again

Nathan

Karole

Registered
What a relief..

Like many others who have posted already, I have listened many, many times to Alan's interview. And I admit, while driving;as David notes in the intro - there is too much of value in this interview to do it justice by listening while driving. Having said that, I have taken many important messages from this interview - communication channels, saying no to meetings, the value of personal messages via phone vs. email (adding the 3-minute rule to the 2-minute rule) and the concept of the paper hybrid.

Over the last several years I have been morphing into the paper hybrid world and have been somewhat embarrassed to admit to the low-tech drift. I, too, started my tech foray with the original Palm and have embraced a variety of gadgets along the way, the most recent of which is the HTC S640 Smartphone. But my dirty little secret was that I was running a parallel paper system. My excuse initially was that it was a lovely leather binder that shouldn't sit idle. Most recently, I have reconciled my low-tech tendency with the fact that it is an important neurocognitive tool - writing helps to lay down new neural pathways and thus speeds the adoption of new behaviours.

My self-invented system is a 2-pages/day worksheet which is housed in that lovely leather binder. The first page is a daily journal/goals/meditation page. I start most mornings with a cup of tea and write for 15 minutes on this 'almost' blank page using the horizons of focus and my personal goals as a rough outline and answer the question - what I want and what success feels like in the chosen areas.

The second page starts with a box in which I answer the question:
"The strategic priority for today which will generate the most profit and success over the long term is:

under which I list my NAs for the day. To generate the NAs I use my task list from Outlook (I use the add-in) and scan to find the ones that I need to/should/want to address today. And then next to each NA I colour code with a square using a coloured highlighter according to 4 categories:
Strategic priority (hot pink)
Billable/client NAs (yellow)
Business development (blue)
Administrative, personal development, family (green)
and use the same colour schema in my calendar and NA list.

The purpose of the colour coding is to help me see at a glance where my time is going and whether it is in line with my goals etc. And, when I am really past a'humming and into buzzing, I also track my time on a print-out of the daily calendar from Outlook. Again - this helps with client billing and understanding where the heck the day went to.

So what I got from Alan's interview is not only is it OK to use paper and still be tech oriented, wildly successful people like Alan do so. The relief of being able to admit to the joy I get from writing out my NAs with my fountain pen (so retro) and then boldly striking them out when they are completed is palpable. And now justifies expanding my Levenger collection!

Thanks again Alan. I am reminded of the value of my GTD membership and of the community of sharing.

Tara

Registered
Invitation to talk with study group

Hi Alan,

thanks so much for sharing the details of your system with us as well as the super conversation with David. Would you consider sitting in on the Virtual Study Group call some time and letting us ask some questions?

Thanks,
Tara

Alan Nelson

Registered
Tara;56592 said:
Hi Alan,

thanks so much for sharing the details of your system with us as well as the super conversation with David. Would you consider sitting in on the Virtual Study Group call some time and letting us ask some questions?

Thanks,
Tara

Hi Tara,

Yes, absolutely. And my apologies for not responding to the email I received more quickly. I'll contact you directed regarding a date.

~ Alan

Alan Nelson

Registered
"The strategic priority for today which will generate the most profit and success over the long term is:

I love that idea. Stealing it now, and thanks for the kind words!

Also, now that the iPhone will have full Exchange / ActiveSync support come June, I plan to switch from my BlackBerry based on my general principle that technology (presuming it doesn't create too much drag) should make you feel great. Hopefully the iPhone will be on the 3G network by then as well ...

jnz42

Registered
Alan Nelson;56611 said:

I love that idea. Stealing it now, and thanks for the kind words!

Also, now that the iPhone will have full Exchange / ActiveSync support come June, I plan to switch from my BlackBerry based on my general principle that technology (presuming it doesn't create too much drag) should make you feel great. Hopefully the iPhone will be on the 3G network by then as well ...

I too would love to switch to the iphone, but they don't say anything about task synchronization via exchange...which is a non-starter for GTD. Maybe that $100M of VC funding for iphone applications will spur someone to build an app to handle tasks on the iphone.

Alan Nelson

Registered
jnz42;56645 said:
I too would love to switch to the iphone, but they don't say anything about task synchronization via exchange...which is a non-starter for GTD. Maybe that $100M of VC funding for iphone applications will spur someone to build an app to handle tasks on the iphone.

Well, not necessarily. As noted above, I keep my Next Action lists in paper form, so the lack of task functionality isn't a big deal in my system (and certainly isn't a non-starter for my using an iPhone and working within GTD).

Alan Nelson

Registered
A quick update for my fellow GTD Connectors: It's now 8 months since my sabbatical and I've moved back to Outlook for my Next Action management. Even with my still reduced email flow there the power of the Outlook Add In is too great to ignore for my list management, and it's just much easier to reference my BlackBerry than the pages in my notebook (walking through an airport, for example).

I'm also looking forward to the specs of the new iPhone that Jobs will announce next Monday. We know it will provide MS Exchange support ... the question is how long until someone writes an app that will sync tasks via Exchange Server ... Or could it be that the re-branding of .Mac as Me.Com, which folks expect will provide over-the-air sync capability, will also include a long-overdue and much needed increase in the power of the iCal task function?

Who knows, but we will certainly find out.

I plan to post a longer update on the current status of my system. Until then, cheers to your next action.

Alan

sdhill

Registered
Alan Nelson;58574 said:
A quick update for my fellow GTD Connectors: It's now 8 months since my sabbatical and I've moved back to Outlook for my Next Action management. Even with my still reduced email flow there the power of the Outlook Add In is too great to ignore for my list management, and it's just much easier to reference my BlackBerry than the pages in my notebook (walking through an airport, for example).

Thanks Alan. I have seriously been contemplating a move to paper for my NAs for about three weeks. I have the notebook, the tabs and my good pen. Something has been holding me back though. And reading your post doesn't help :). On the one hand I like how easily I can create NAs from email in Outlook but on the other I like the idea of being able to strike out completed NAs on paper. I am printing out my NAs to carry around with me which I took as a sign that my Outlook NAs were repelling me . When I sit and work through the practicalities though the electronic way just comes out on top.

I don't normally tinker with my system so this is quite perplexing and I'm not sure what to do, if anything.

Thoughts anyone?

elbow

Registered
I moved from Outlook lists to a dual system of Outlook and paper about 3 months ago.

The problem for me was that Outlook at work was fine for work-based tasks but if I kept home tasks on there, I couldn't access them from home due to our work IT set up not allowing it. I had to either print lists out or find some way of exporting them every time I moved from the office to the home environment, and it was just too much effort.

Now I keep all my tasks and projects on paper but I have a copy of them on Outlook. The paper lists are kept in a A5-size Moleskine soft-cover notebook, which fits nicely in the pocket of my backpack when I'm on the move. I regard the paper lists as my primary system and Outlook as a kind of backup. I usually "sync" the two lists each morning (if done daily, it's a 2-minute-rule job!) but I always have an action in my Weekly Review to ensure that the two lists are matched up.

It may sound high-maintenance but for me it works really well. For tasks that come at me via e-mail, I can attach the e-mail to the outlook task, but I have the added portability of being able to carry all my tasks around with me wherever I go. If I want to view lists in a certain way other than context, or search through actions for selected text, I can use the Outlook lists, but if I'm at home on the weekend trying to remember what projects I need to be working on I've got the paper lists with me.

sdhill

Registered
@elbow: thanks for your thoughts. I think if I make the move to paper for NAs I will employ some sort of 'syncing' as you've described. I've worried about the inefficiency of duplicating my lists and also the time taken but your words reassure that it's not onerous.

Cheers

elbow

Registered
sdhill, give it a go, it's certainly worked for me!

A couple of tips for you which should help to keep the sync process slick: on my paper lists, when I add a task on paper, after I've also added it to Outlook I put a dot next to the task on the paper list, so when I scan my paper lists, any that don't have a dot next to them stand out as not having been added to Outlook.

Similarly, when I complete a task, I strike through the action on paper with a single line. When I also delete the task on Outlook, I then run a highlighter through the task on the paper list. So any that are crossed out but not highlighted need to be deleted from Outlook.

I've been using this system for several months now and it's working well for me, I don't feel that keeping the two lists in sync is an onerous task. In fact, there's an upside - when you complete a task you get to experience the joy of crossing it off your list twice! :)