Sync Tasks to Outlook With Windows Mobile

sweat

Registered
For those of you using Windows Mobile, could you tell me if there is a way to sync tasks from a smartphone to Outlook by using a bluetooth connection or a USB cable?

I want to be able to sync tasks between laptop and the phone. The manual for the Motorola Q 9c says I can't sync tasks with a USB or bluetooth, but I'm wondering if there is a way around this?

Thanks.

Tom Shannon

Registered
sweat;56492 said:
For those of you using Windows Mobile, could you tell me if there is a way to sync tasks from a smartphone to Outlook by using a bluetooth connection or a USB cable?

I want to be able to sync tasks between laptop and the phone. The manual for the Motorola Q 9c says I can't sync tasks with a USB or bluetooth, but I'm wondering if there is a way around this?

Well, you certainly can sync tasks both ways with Windows Mobile. I do both myself with my smart phone. I can't say if there's something about the your particular phone that prevents it. If there is, one alternative is to subscribe to an Exchange service like 4smartphone. Then you simply sync with a data connection over the Internet with the server (both from the laptop and from the phone). These services are relatively cheap and, as a bonus, provide a backup for the data.

Tom S.

sweat

Registered
I'm strongly considering a Motorola Q 9c from Sprint.

The user manual does not sound like I can sync tasks with via a USB or bluetooth. Is there a way around this outside of paying an extra $10/mo for another service?

Here is what the user manual says the following about syncing:

The types of information you can synchronize depend on the
type of connection you are making:
If you are synchronizing over the air directly to your
company’s Microsoft Exchange Server using the
ActiveSync program on your device, you can synchronize
email, contacts, calendar, and tasks.

If you are synchronizing over the air to your company’s
server using Good Mobile Messaging, you can
synchronize email, contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes.

If you are synchronizing over the air to your ISP or Webbased
personal email account, you can synchronize email.

If you are synchronizing using your computer and a USB
cable or Bluetooth connection, you can synchronize email,
contacts, calendar, and media. To do this, you must install,
to your computer, the Microsoft Windows Mobile Device
Center (for Vista) or Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 or later (for
Windows XP and prior Windows operating systems) from
the Getting Started CD that came with your device.

Tom Shannon

Registered
I never heard of anything like this. I can't imagine being able to sync the calendar and not the tasks. I would call the company or ask the rep at the store before buying.

Tom S.

sweat

Registered
If it is the case, are there any third-party software programs that would provide a work around? I don't mind paying $30 or $40 upfront, but want to avoid a recurring monthly fee.

JTD247365

Registered
Moto Q9c

I have the Q9 phone and both tasks and calendar sync flawlessly from Outlook and I have mine setup to sync from ACT PIM also.

sweat

Registered
JTD247365;56522 said:
I have the Q9 phone and both tasks and calendar sync flawlessly from Outlook and I have mine setup to sync from ACT PIM also.

Are you using a USB or Bluetooth connection to sync? And which provider are you with?

I spoke to rep at Motorola and they thought I should be able to sync tasks via USB.

I think I'll probably have to just buy the smartphone, try it and return it if the syncing doesn't work. It's possible that Sprint blocked some useful feature.

Of course, the alternative is a BB...

bassdrone42

Registered
Do attachments sync as well?

Hey Jeff,

I have a "vintage" Q with Windows Mobile 5.0. One big drawback I've found is that attachments on tasks do not sync.

For example, when working on a proposal, I attach the files I need to work with to the task itself. This way, when I get to the actual doing part of the task... everything I need is right there.

This works very well when I'm at the office, but when I sync with my phone the attachments don't come with.

To get the files I need onto my phone (and then to my laptop), I have to drag and drop them manually onto my storage card....which is, for lack of a better term, quite the drag!

Is this still the case with Windows Mobile 6.0?
(I assume that's what's on the Q9)

Cheers,

Jeff C.

ChrisF

Registered
No attachments on WM6 either. My company is also big on attachments on calendar appointments and tasks. Can't do on the Smartphone or PPC platforms yet.