The GTD Binocular (aka AdvancedFind) for the Addin

whkratz

Registered
Okay folks, don't ask me why I'm doing this, since I don't really use the GTD Outlook Addin, preferring instead to exploit the multi-faceted Projects-As-Contacts method. However, I've heard the requests for some sort of "summarizing" functionality in the Addin, akin to the Activities tab for Projects in the P-A-C system, and I decided to experiment a little. The result is the GTD Binocular, a combination of VBA gizmos that more-or-less mimics (for the GTD Addin) the view of Items linked to a Project that is provided by the Activities tab.

With the GTD Binocular, you select an Item that is related, via the Addin, to a Project. It could be the Master Project Task or any other Item "linked" to the Project.....

Binocular7.jpg

Then click the GTD Binocular button on the Toolbar.....

Binocular4.jpg

The GTD Binocular will search all your folders for Items related to the same Project as the originally highlighted Item, and display a list of those Items in a new window.....

Binocular1.jpg

The window will resize to accomodate the number of Items listed.....

Binocular2.jpg

and some common functionality is available in the list of Items.....

Binocular8.jpg

I have this gadget working nicely with an Outlook 2003 PST (I haven't tested it yet on an Exchange installation), but before I post it for everyone's use, I need some brave souls to test it out on their systems to help find the problems that I've missed. If you are interested in a little, simple beta testing, send me an e-mail at whkratz@comcast.net, and I'll send you the necessary VBA gizmos. (Please note that Outlook 2002 [XP] or Outlook 2003 is required.)

Best Regards.....Bill Kratz

M

mochant

Watch this space - I'll let you know soon

I've contacted Bill and offered to help test the GTD Binocular. I'll post my impressions here once he gets me the code and I've had a chance to put it through its paces. It looks like a terrific addition to the add-in's core functionality.

jhegener

Registered
I'll be all over this like a cheap suit!!!

The GTD Add-In is weakest in the project overview/management areas.

tfadams

Registered
Bill,

Having worked with you in the past on your Projects-As-Contacts method, I'm definitely looking forward to the Binocular. Keep us posted!

- Todd

MsftMan

Registered
Joey - I don't think so. Initially Bill asked for anyone interested in "Beta" testing it to email him... which I have. But I am under the impression he is a very busy man and this aspect is a hobby/interest for him and not a job. So I'd just be patient... he seems to be a man-of-his-word.

joeycan

Registered
MsftMan,

I understand this is his hobby, I must have misunderstood I thought the Beta was available someplace.

whkratz

Registered
Binocular Update

A quick update -- I've essentially finished the Binocular. I got totally sidetracked for about ten days while I fought with what is really just a little UI nicety. There is not a lot of info available on the AdvancedSearch functionality that is necessary for the Binocular, so I couldn't stop myself from trying approach after approach. Stupid, because the feature is almost just window dressing, and my general idea looks to be impossible. Of course when I took a break for a couple of days, I came up with a much better looking, simpler means to accomplish the same goal. Duh!!!

I'm just cleaning things up and double checking myself, so I should send out the trial code within a week. I have quite a list of volunteers, so there is some interest in this little gadget.

MsftMan

Registered
Great... looking forward to it.

One of these days I'd like to reward your efforts by treating you to a Starbucks visit. Hopefully you are a coffee achiever! :D

U

Unregistered

Is this available

I would be very interested in this.

Thanks,

R.

J

johnmclean

Curious about status of this

Hi all,
Any news on where the binoculars stand?
I don't mean to push... i'm just really looking forward to this tool!!!
John.

MsftMan

Registered
At this stage in the game, I can only assume that Bill might be waiting for the new update release of GTD Add-in and possibly test with that version before releasing?

whkratz

Registered
Apologies

Actually, I've had a nice version of it operating for months now. I just haven't had time to put the code in "distributable form" and to write up some instructions. Sorry! It is on my list (now, which list was that?).

J

johnmclean

Lookin' forward to it.

...(now, which list was that?).

Now that's funny.
John.