The Power of Vision Boards

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
One of the things you'll hear me and David talk about on the Seamless Completions and Fresh Perspectives webinar is the idea of Vision Boards (aka Treasure Maps). I've loved the Vision Boards I've created over the years and have been amazed at how they've helped manifest something that seemed out of reach and out of my comfort zones.

You can make them as specific or broad as you want. The idea is to create a collection of words and images that represent a direction, focus, or vision for what you want to create. I just did one around body/health/vitality and I can already feel a shift in my consciousness and choices around all of that.

The weekend after we did the webinar, my friend and I facilitated a workshop on creating Vision Boards for a non-profit. We had about 50 people in the room, cutting up about 300 magazines. So fun.

It was amazing to see how different their Vision Boards all were. Some people just had a few key images. Others had every square inch filled with words and pictures. Some people made it about their overall like experience/direction they want to create in 2016 and others had very specific things they were focusing on, like creating a relationship or changing careers. I shared mine with the group:

At the same time I was leading that, the DAC staff was having their staff retreat and was doing Vision Boards as well. Here's a photo David captured from that:

If you've never done a Vision Board, or it's been a while and you could use a shot of inspiration, give it a try!

Attached files

AndrewJMason

Registered
Love it!
So creative, yet fruitful way of pulling the future "from the clouds" :)

I've also heard of others creating Instagram & Twitter accounts that follow others who post pictures / thoughts / ideas solely having to do with an envisioned lifestyle. (ie - Following Cyclists or runners to get started with cardio, etc)

Oogiem

Registered
kelstarrising said:
If you've never done a Vision Board, or it's been a while and you could use a shot of inspiration, give it a try!
Seeing those pictures reminds me why I have never really done a vision board. I don't have access to enough magazines to pull from!

I'm really curious how you locate that many paper magazines.

And what about the on-line ones? I wouldn't mind doing something like that all electronically but I'd never want it out on a public space like Pinterest or Instagram. I'm wondering, has anyone has tried to do an all electronic version of a Vision Board and how did it work for you?

TesTeq

Registered
Oogiem said:
I'm wondering, has anyone has tried to do an all electronic version of a Vision Board and how did it work for you?

You'd probably need one 50" computer display per vision board. Pretty expensive in comparison with analog solutions... ;-)

AndrewJMason

Registered
Oogiem said:
And what about the on-line ones? I wouldn't mind doing something like that all electronically but I'd never want it out on a public space like Pinterest or Instagram. I'm wondering, has anyone has tried to do an all electronic version of a Vision Board and how did it work for you?

An easy way to "Brain Dump" some preferred futures online is to surf the web, screen grab any visuals you like (Cmd-Shift 4 for mac, Windows Logo + PrintScreen for Windows), and throw it into an notes solution (ex: Evernote or OneNote). Then you can catagorize Vision boards per note. Pretty fun to do!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Oogiem said:
Seeing those pictures reminds me why I have never really done a vision board. I don't have access to enough magazines to pull from!

I'm really curious how you locate that many paper magazines.

We started collecting them months beforehand. We also bought some. And people donated a bunch when we put the word out we needed them.

Oogiem

Registered
AndrewJMason said:
An easy way to "Brain Dump" some preferred futures online is to surf the web, screen grab any visuals you like (Cmd-Shift 4 for mac, Windows Logo + PrintScreen for Windows), and throw it into an notes solution (ex: Evernote or OneNote). Then you can catagorize Vision boards per note. Pretty fun to do!

What an interesting idea! I've never thought of doing that. I don't typically think in tags so I never tag even in my Note Program (DEVONThink) but that might get me to try it.

ChristinaSkaskiw

Registered
Oogiem said:

I’ve created vision boards on my computer using my own photos as well as downloaded images and created a collage using MS PowerPoint. In PPT I could add inspiring words. Exporting a slide from PPT as a JPEG allowed me then to use it as my computer desktop. I‘ve also made print outs, but only A4 (letter) size. (Of course, you could use some other program than PPT; it just happened to be handy.)

My husband and I have made larger vision boards and had them on our bedroom wall. I’ve taken photos of them so I could carry them with me. Initially as smaller printouts in a paper planner and now on my smart phone.

It’s great fun! :)