Treo 600

A

Anonymous

Treo 600

Wait for the 610! 320x320 resolution, bluetooth, 32MB. Out this fall.

tallmarvin

Registered
I want to get the Treo 600 as well. My company is dragging heels on it though (I will be the one paying for it-the device itself, not the service). Ah well. It will happen. Eventually.

Went to the Verizon store a couple of days ago to see a demo unit. Bigger than a typical cell phone w/o a clamshell, but similar in size to most PDA'S. For me, going from the 'tool belt' (phone + PDA) to only one device for everything was the clincher.

I'm aware of the rumors of the 'next-gen' Treo coming out but life doesn't wait, and considering how long Verizon took to get this phone (it's been out what, a half-year plus now?), who knows when/if they will get the next gen into their pipeline?

A

Ashok Atluri

Treo 600 is a pretty comprehensive tool. It is a PDA+Cell+Voice Recorder (enabled with third party software). So this is the ultimate capture tool (or ubiquitous capture tool).

Most of the Treo come with Goodlink service which provides online email facility. The Treo has facility to surf.

The keyboard is very handy (much faster than the graffiti).

SMS is maintained as a chat which is kind of very handy when you need to check the thread.

The Call Log keeps logging till you purge. So if you want to know the number of a person who called last Wed. in the afternoon, you can go to the log and check the number (not just the last 20 nos).

All-in-all it is a great great tool to have. My advice: Go Ahead.

AA

A

Anonymous

Treo 600 Now or 610 in a few months?

Yes, that is correct about Verizon. Sprint will be the first one out of the gate with the Treo 610. If you use Sprint, I think the wait will be worth it. If not, get the 600 :lol: .

A

Anonymous

Re: Treo 600

Austin1 said:
Looking at getting the Treo 600. Any thoughts?

I have had my Treo 600 for about 4 months now. My provider is Sprint. I use Goodlink software for work email and the standard mail client to do POP3 to my personal provider. I have no extra software installed yet since I am usually loathe to pay extras since I get this phone through work. My thoughts:

I'm very much into lightening the load. In my younger days, I would have been fine with the twin gun geek look, but have since then I have found it tiresome and don't like to carry more than one gadget with me. The Treo is perfect for this. Although the Treo is slightly bigger than a regular mobile phone, I no longer have to carry my Palm *and* a phone. Web browsing is passable, particularly for PDA formatted sites. The camera is also not bad, as long you get enough light. It is very cool to be able to take a picture of my son when out and about and email it to family from the phone. The Goodlink software is terrific, it gives me instant access to work email and changes made (deletions, moves, etc.) are instantly reflected on Outlook. Processing my inbox from the phone is a snap. The contacts to phone interface is slick, allowing one button navigation and dialing. You can also turn the network connection off while still having the PDA itself on. So you can use it on a plane or in other areas a phone is not allowed.

Minuses: battery life is terrible. I need to charge my phone daily. Yes, that's right, daily. Unless I turn the network connection off. I believe this has to do with the Goodlink software. As a push technology it is always on and always syncing with the office Exchange server, draining the battery very quickly. Travel and car chargers are a must. I have read on the Web of people getting up to 5 days on a charge. I doubt they are using Goodlink.

Other Goodlink misses: you can't search the calendar. And tasks, although synced with Exchange, doesn't have categories. Not ideal for GtD. So I use Memo Pad and ToDo. This is fine, except I have to HotSync periodically. If I could use Tasks in Exchange/Outlook, changes would be automatically synced.

Minuses on the phone itself. The joke about having to reboot your phone is no joke. The phone will reset itself periodically. This is a pain. Additionally, turning the network connection (essentially the phone and data connection) off and on takes a few seconds. The thumb-keys are also uncomfortable. Good enough for a quick note, however.

All in all I like it. I am an old techie but a GtD newbie. I have only been doing it about a month so I was not really using the PDA as much as I am now. It's terrific for me to have my lists on me all the time, I have to carry the phone anyway, its nice that I don't have to consider if I should bring a PDA as well.

As for waiting for the 610, bluetooth is the only feature remotely interesting to me. I might, then, be able to sync the phone with my desktop without either using the USB cable, or having to have line of sight with the infrared port. Also, a wireless earpiece would be nice. Other than that, you might as well get one now.

A

Anonymous

"As for waiting for the 610, bluetooth is the only feature remotely interesting to me. I might, then, be able to sync the phone with my desktop without either using the USB cable, or having to have line of sight with the infrared port. Also, a wireless earpiece would be nice. Other than that, you might as well get one now."
Maturin

What about 320 x 320 resolution? :eek: That doesn't interest you? Also, the 610 will be faster. The 600 is nice, but the 610 will complete the package nicely (IMHO).

A

Anonymous

GTDave said:
"As for waiting for the 610, bluetooth is the only feature remotely interesting to me. I might, then, be able to sync the phone with my desktop without either using the USB cable, or having to have line of sight with the infrared port. Also, a wireless earpiece would be nice. Other than that, you might as well get one now."
Maturin

What about 320 x 320 resolution? :eek: That doesn't interest you? Also, the 610 will be faster. The 600 is nice, but the 610 will complete the package nicely (IMHO).

Well, I just don't have an issue with the current resolution. Its a lot like when color first came out. That was nice, but I did not see how it would make my life that much better.

Fast, however, would be nice. I would say that interests me. :wink:

TesTeq

Registered
Readability.

It isn't just the matter of resolution but newest high resolution color displays are much more readable. I can see a big difference.
TesTeq

A

Anonymous

Re: Readability.

TesTeq said:
It isn't just the matter of resolution but newest high resolution color displays are much more readable. I can see a big difference.
TesTeq

Oh, you've seen one? What do you think? Did the resolution make a big difference?

I am speaking as an uninformed user, of course, I have no experience with the 610, perhaps it makes a bigger difference than I imagine. :)

TesTeq

Registered
I haven't seen 610.

No, I haven't seen one. My opinion is based on the experience with other Palm models with 160x160 and 320x320 display resolution. Higher resolution was ALWAYS more readable.
TesTeq

A

Ashok Atluri

Maturin wrote:
might, then, be able to sync the phone with my desktop without either using the USB cable, or having to have line of sight with the infrared port

Have you synced your treo using the IR Port? I would like to know how to do it. I have synced my palm using the IR, but somehow am unable to perform the same with Treo.

Thanks

AA

M

Maturin

Ashok Atluri said:
Maturin wrote:
might, then, be able to sync the phone with my desktop without either using the USB cable, or having to have line of sight with the infrared port

Have you synced your treo using the IR Port? I would like to know how to do it. I have synced my palm using the IR, but somehow am unable to perform the same with Treo.

Thanks

AA

Yes, I have. I did not do anything special, it is the same procedure as syncing a Palm with IR. What kind of trouble are you having?

M

Maturin

Re: I haven't seen 610.

TesTeq said:
No, I haven't seen one. My opinion is based on the experience with other Palm models with 160x160 and 320x320 display resolution. Higher resolution was ALWAYS more readable.
TesTeq

I look forward to seeing one then. Perhaps it will open my eyes, so to speak! ;)

tallmarvin

Registered
bot

Had the device about two weeks, and so far, terrific.

No more PDA (Sony) + Verizon phone + handheld voice recorder, it's all in one now. Yes the phone is a little bigger than most, but it does a hell of a lot in a little bit of space! Plus, I have big hands, so for me it's a great fit.

I can also listen to MP3'S at the gym with the adapter attachment. So I don't need a seperate MP3 player.

I thought that the resolution would bug me because I came from a big-screen hi-res Sony, but I'm finding that as I get more into just GTD that the 'pretty' factor is not as important. Besides, my first PDA was a Treo 90.

I'm sure a year from now the brat in me will want something slicker, but for now, it handles my needs just fine.

M

Maturin

So now I have seen one with my own eyes

I have to agree with TestTeq. The resolution looks great. If you define readability in terms of ease/pleasure of use then the Treo 650 screen is hands down the better screen.

My eyes are open!

JeffB

Registered
Treo 650 looks great

I didn't have the cash for it, so opted for a Blackberry 7100t. I have it sync up with Outlook at work and Entourage 2004 (via PocketMac) at home. I'm happy only carrying one device now.

Jeff