Trying to “sort myself out” doing a weekly review for the first time in about thirty days since moved house.

Myself Tim trying to “sort myself out” doing a weekly review for the first time in about thirty days since moved house.

Please see my pictures attached to help.

Where I show pictures of my in-trays - as I had them out in my room. 1707044061272.png

What basically did As I have in my mind is a weekly review

I went through all the type of A5 paper sheets in my in-tray (with a new different coloured pen/marker on the card paper) and dated them all 03/02 mostly on the top left off the sheets, then wrote with the same colour market - the “next action” I had in my mind in order to progress/solve the problem on the A5 sheet.

What were other pointers?

Well I have done this weekly review activity more than once in the past, and I have literally kept all the A5 sheets I have ever made in my intray, since starting this activity of using A5 sheets of paper when I saw the “mind sweep” exercise written in the book.

2) that on certain sheets of A5 paper I might have had a similar or same idea/problem written on sheet of paper but just (written again at a later date) I could show picture of this. *
1707044161926.png
I.E. the image above show 3/4 a5 lined sheets what have ideas/actions about similar things e.g. one things written on sheet A5 was idea of making post about topic of calendar on this fourm, or like similar stuff like see on second sheet "do I have type table still which previously used in my room from when moved house, or moving type of plug extension lead which I don't feel like I have best placed in my new room. These 3/4 sheets shown can now be thrown away if no one else says otherwise within 24hours " SV " **1 actionable task is (literally going through the type of metal and green paper in-tray shown in picture here)

3) On certain pieces of A5 paper - I have more than one idea/problem written on the A5 sheet (which I had in my mind, saw written by allen in the book saying a rule you must just write one concept/idea at a time on each A5 sheet (writing something thats more effective to use separate sheets of paper, then do something write more than one thing/task on a sheet (become like a traditional list which has negative effects).
+So literally myself tim ended up doing looking at things, some things written on my A5 sheet which just “a to do list of action” did in past (spontaneously - because thought to myself while… you understand?

Question four very important: Is it right or correct that a weekly review all that it is suppose to entail actually is just going over the A5 sheets in your intray? Im not sure (hence reason making this new forum thread.

I also show JPEG attached show calendar on my wall I use (not digital calendar) - which can see looks disorganised , not best (one things I need to do is go other the GTD method for using schedule calendar.
May be an image of text

I also show JPEG of type my post it note, notes - which same again looks dis organized ,
May be an image of text

Picture photo - of type of A4 filing box metal I use - says stuff, wrote it that on my X in-tray I placed type of document (of letter) letter I sent in post, proof of delivery (and am waiting to here back from (to do with my disability, applying for PIP benefit - that not told when I can expect to receive a response back (in letter form about the outcome of my claim) - so thought to myself write a reminder on this A4 box using (with a sticky label - that I should check with them in 1 months time sounds reasonable (as they didn’t…) Because my physical calendar on my wall looks untidy/disorganised .
May be an image of text

“This links to what have in my mind seeing persons allen written/writing about benefits having tickler filing system (where you use it in addition to a type of calendar system (where you deal with activities/projects (at the correct delegated time (if they are a project which requires it to be done at a specific time and either isn't best done in the present moment or can’t be actionable/progressed in present moment “ Is that one of the things myself Tim should be (trying focus on ASAP because its important? After over list things wrote would do here on posts?

I don’t know, persons John Forrister @John Forrister replied to me in email that I should go by my heart/gut as what's best to do at any moment?

I had other words"

Hopefully X persons reading this would be able give me feed back? " @Mrs-Polifax @gtdstudente @cfoley (my best users
@jwsamuel also
STN Call this part one " and continue this first post under the title in second post under main title thread

gtdstudente

Registered
@TimBourne,

In the 2015 2nd Edition, the Weekly Review is discussed from pages 191 through 203

Very good step-by-step Weekly Review instructions are available from pages:
195 (Get Clear)
196 (Get Current)
197 (Get Creative)
with GTD motivation and good GTD tips before page 195 (Get Clear) starts with page 191 and after page 197 (Get Creative), 199 through 203, respectively

The Index on page 317 also has more pages for reading throughout Getting Things Done, 2015 2nd Edition, regarding the Weekly Review

Continue patiently doing your very good job as you see GTD fit

@TimBourne,

In the 2015 2nd Edition, the Weekly Review is discussed from pages 191 through 203

195 (Get Clear)
196 (Get Current)
197 (Get Creative)
with GTD motivation and good GTD tips before page 195 (Get Clear) starts with page 191 and after page 197 (Get Creative), 199 through 203, respectively

The Index on page 317 also has more pages for reading throughout Getting Things Done, 2015 2nd Edition, regarding the Weekly Review

ITM

Thanks very much for very quickly getting back here.

I just scanned over those three pages you cited here.

and yeah "when first went over the book - myself must have not paid much attention to these three pages"

I hadn't been doing weekly review right.

Where says first thing get clear (similar to physical gathering?).

Then current - do stuff like go through next actions list - That was the mistake I was making shown above - I was writing the next actions on my A5 "List of ideas on my in-tray and am not suppose to do that?

Yeah, haven't yet properly set up calendar or filing system.

I'm confused on page 196
says collect all loose materials (literally? everything in my room?)
get everything to zero, empty your head

The next page "get current"
Review your next action lists (which is the list you make from the A5 papers in your in-tray -right? - so in weekly review your not even suppose to go through the ideas a5 papers in your in-tray (which I thought what a weekly review was?

says" Review your next action lists"

Says "review calendar data" talking about digital calendar data here I presume? which haven't even set up yet myself? Links to my main list to do (- finishing E-mails then going over my GTD digital organization system)

Then says upcoming calendar review,
"waiting For" list,
review projects Lists,
review any relevant checklists
(these four things I don't have, haven't set up yet?

@15 52

"The Index on page 317 also has more pages for reading throughout Getting Things Done, 2015 2nd Edition, regarding the Weekly Review"
looked at page 317 and see that it is in four separate parts of the book- not sure its best I use indexes right now

The first reference of weekly review was enough right now..."

Myself Tim trying to “sort myself out” doing a weekly review for the first time in about thirty days since moved house.

Please see my pictures attached to help.

Where I show pictures of my in-trays - as I had them out in my room. View attachment 1686

What basically did As I have in my mind is a weekly review

I went through all the type of A5 paper sheets in my in-tray (with a new different coloured pen/marker on the card paper) and dated them all 03/02 mostly on the top left off the sheets, then wrote with the same colour market - the “next action” I had in my mind in order to progress/solve the problem on the A5 sheet.

What were other pointers?

Well I have done this weekly review activity more than once in the past, and I have literally kept all the A5 sheets I have ever made in my intray, since starting this activity of using A5 sheets of paper when I saw the “mind sweep” exercise written in the book.

2) that on certain sheets of A5 paper I might have had a similar or same idea/problem written on sheet of paper but just (written again at a later date) I could show picture of this. *
View attachment 1687
I.E. the image above show 3/4 a5 lined sheets what have ideas/actions about similar things e.g. one things written on sheet A5 was idea of making post about topic of calendar on this fourm, or like similar stuff like see on second sheet "do I have type table still which previously used in my room from when moved house, or moving type of plug extension lead which I don't feel like I have best placed in my new room. These 3/4 sheets shown can now be thrown away if no one else says otherwise within 24hours " SV " **1 actionable task is (literally going through the type of metal and green paper in-tray shown in picture here)

3) On certain pieces of A5 paper - I have more than one idea/problem written on the A5 sheet (which I had in my mind, saw written by allen in the book saying a rule you must just write one concept/idea at a time on each A5 sheet (writing something thats more effective to use separate sheets of paper, then do something write more than one thing/task on a sheet (become like a traditional list which has negative effects).
+So literally myself tim ended up doing looking at things, some things written on my A5 sheet which just “a to do list of action” did in past (spontaneously - because thought to myself while… you understand?

Question four very important: Is it right or correct that a weekly review all that it is suppose to entail actually is just going over the A5 sheets in your intray? Im not sure (hence reason making this new forum thread.

I also show JPEG attached show calendar on my wall I use (not digital calendar) - which can see looks disorganised , not best (one things I need to do is go other the GTD method for using schedule calendar.
May be an image of text

I also show JPEG of type my post it note, notes - which same again looks dis organized ,
May be an image of text

Picture photo - of type of A4 filing box metal I use - says stuff, wrote it that on my X in-tray I placed type of document (of letter) letter I sent in post, proof of delivery (and am waiting to here back from (to do with my disability, applying for PIP benefit - that not told when I can expect to receive a response back (in letter form about the outcome of my claim) - so thought to myself write a reminder on this A4 box using (with a sticky label - that I should check with them in 1 months time sounds reasonable (as they didn’t…) Because my physical calendar on my wall looks untidy/disorganised .
May be an image of text

“This links to what have in my mind seeing persons allen written/writing about benefits having tickler filing system (where you use it in addition to a type of calendar system (where you deal with activities/projects (at the correct delegated time (if they are a project which requires it to be done at a specific time and either isn't best done in the present moment or can’t be actionable/progressed in present moment “ Is that one of the things myself Tim should be (trying focus on ASAP because its important? After over list things wrote would do here on posts?

I don’t know, persons John Forrister @John Forrister replied to me in email that I should go by my heart/gut as what's best to do at any moment?

I had other words"

Hopefully X persons reading this would be able give me feed back? " @Mrs-Polifax @gtdstudente @cfoley (my best users
@jwsamuel also
STN Call this part one " and continue this first post under the title in second post under main title thread

In this first title thread I wrote this is part one

Then in my text editor underneath I wrote

"
1mother
2 physical gatherings?

12:50

Other thought - writing more problem with A5.

1Were ended up writing too many.
2And - really should have other place for writing T Ds"

in the text quoted underneath".

One of my idea or voice in head was that ASAP if I see any users post reply to this thread (which @gtdstudente did) I should post part two- the continuation of the first title thread here.

Explaining more stuff:

When (took pictures) said to my mother at same time - that I feel I need to go other Allens book literally
and do the type of physical gathering exercise?
That for example I haven't done a "weekly review"
I told my mother Jitka maybe something feel like I need to do literally is just think about my whole set up in my room and how best to organize things. What's a problem? That I x amount of things in my room which I feel like aren't useful (so I should do as what's said in physical gathering and get rid of them? Give them to charity or sell them? Or should I just destroy them because I seem to feel angry/pent up all the time because of my mental illness?

Background voice since X time said to :
-I should I just completely scrap/bin all the A5 papers in my in tray right now (seeing I feel like I done the mind sweep exercise wrong - where you are actually suppose right the "next actions (your not suppose right To do lists on the mind sweep A5 papers) separately - should I ask other users or make a poll? What?

So did I need to make a new thread in order to - what is best to do about my A5 papers list collection (from mind sweep exercise did maybe starting six months ago?

I think that's all about I got to write right now? will await users response :( " S

gtdstudente

Registered
In this first title thread I wrote this is part one

Then in my text editor underneath I wrote

"
1mother
2 physical gatherings?

12:50

Other thought - writing more problem with A5.

1Were ended up writing too many.
2And - really should have other place for writing T Ds"

in the text quoted underneath".

One of my idea or voice in head was that ASAP if I see any users post reply to this thread (which @gtdstudente did) I should post part two- the continuation of the first title thread here.

Explaining more stuff:

When (took pictures) said to my mother at same time - that I feel I need to go other Allens book literally
and do the type of physical gathering exercise?
That for example I haven't done a "weekly review"
I told my mother Jitka maybe something feel like I need to do literally is just think about my whole set up in my room and how best to organize things. What's a problem? That I x amount of things in my room which I feel like aren't useful (so I should do as what's said in physical gathering and get rid of them? Give them to charity or sell them? Or should I just destroy them because I seem to feel angry/pent up all the time because of my mental illness?

Background voice since X time said to :
-I should I just completely scrap/bin all the A5 papers in my in tray right now (seeing I feel like I done the mind sweep exercise wrong - where you are actually suppose right the "next actions (your not suppose right To do lists on the mind sweep A5 papers) separately - should I ask other users or make a poll? What?

So did I need to make a new thread in order to - what is best to do about my A5 papers list collection (from mind sweep exercise did maybe starting six months ago?

I think that's all about I got to write right now? will await users response :( " S

"I'm confused on page 196
says collect all loose materials (literally? everything in my room?)
get everything to zero, empty your head"

Everything that isn't where it's suppose to be goes into or around your Inbox for Processing

Everything that isn't where it's suppose to be goes into or around your Inbox for Processing
I

by inbox

you mean my in trays (which I have 6 now in total) - as shown in pictures.

1 layer had my A5 sheets, and some layers have other stuff in.

All my in tray - have something in them right now.

Maybe you can help by sharing more specific instructions like this?

Otherwise I will continue to listen to my ideas' S

gtdstudente

Registered
I

by inbox

you mean my in trays (which I have 6 now in total) - as shown in pictures.

1 layer had my A5 sheets, and some layers have other stuff in.

All my in tray - have something in them right now.

Maybe you can help by sharing more specific instructions like this?

Otherwise I will continue to listen to my ideas' S
@TimBourne,

While there might be good to have stack-able trays for holding materials like magazines for reading

Like Page However, we make our GTD Processing focusing easier for ourselves by having only one INBOX to Process from with the First Processing Question for Each Item in the One Inbox: "What is It/This?"

195 (Get Clear):

1. Place Everything into Inbox . . . if you future Inbox is currently too small . . . use a bigger box

2. From the one INBOX, Process E A C H Item by hand removing and asking the Processing Question: "What is It/This?" while the item is in one's hand

Go and Empty your INBOX as you see GTD fit through the GTD Processing Question: "What is It/This?"

Last edited:
@TimBourne,

While there might be good to have stack-able trays for holding materials like magazines for reading

Like Page However, we make our GTD Processing focusing easier for ourselves by having only one INBOX to Process from with the First Processing Question for Each Item in the One Inbox: "What is It/This?"

195 (Get Clear):

1. Place Everything into Inbox . . . if you future Inbox is currently too small . . . use a bigger box

2. From the one INBOX, Process E A C H Item by hand removing and asking the Processing Question: "What is It/This?" while the item is in one's hand

Go and Empty your INBOX as you see GTD fit through the GTD Processing Question: "What is It/This?"

ITM
thanks going over this

This is related to physical gathering step - right?

I agree I should have something like a large box as an inbox, place everything which is out of place in my room

I should next go over the page you cited here 195" s HOW

gtdstudente

Registered
ITM
thanks going over this

This is related to physical gathering step - right?

I agree I should have something like a large box as an inbox, place everything which is out of place in my room

I should next go over the page you cited here 195" s HOW
@TimBourne,

Yes yes, yes . . . very good . . . keep the GTD ball going . . . Step-by-Step . . . you doing fantastic

@TimBourne,

Yes yes, yes . . . very good . . . keep the GTD ball going . . . Step-by-Step . . . you doing fantastic
ITM

I don't feel like I am doing fantastic.

This post wasn't best written probably, but it serves as actionable to myself.

There were multiple concepts in above writing which you didn't seem to write anything about? "s

... What did you think - that , about other ...

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
HI, @TimBourne,

Congratulations on the idea of gathering everything in your room that is out of place together into one large inbox, so you can process it and decide what it is and where it goes! I think @gtdstudente is giving you good advice to read and consult David Allen's updated edition of GTD.

As I interpret GTD, before you can do GTD workflow processing (Page 37) or GTD weekly reviews (Pages 191-203), you will need to set up accessible containers (such as, files, hanging or manilla folders, binders, notebooks, computer programs, etc.) These containers are the places you will keep your GTD lists, and they are also the places you will put your clarified items in the organize step of the workflow process. You could have several places to put various kinds of things.

You might want to read David Allen's updated GTD edition, Chapter 4, Pages 85-105, about Getting Started. David Allen says that initially one needs to set aside time to prepare a workstation or central cockpit of control. David Allen makes suggestions about the basic tools, supplies, and equipment a workstation needs. Some of it is about creating accessible containers. I think this is a good place to start, one small step at a time.

gtdstudente

Registered
ITM

I don't feel like I am doing fantastic.

This post wasn't best written probably, but it serves as actionable to myself.

There were multiple concepts in above writing which you didn't seem to write anything about? "s

... What did you think - that , about other ...
@TimBourne,

Just focus on making sure everything is in the big box for Processing?

Thank you

As you see GTD fit

HI, @TimBourne,

Congratulations on the idea of gathering everything in your room that is out of place together into one large inbox, so you can process it and decide what it is and where it goes! I think @gtdstudente is giving you good advice to read and consult David Allen's updated edition of GTD.

As I interpret GTD, before you can do GTD workflow processing (Page 37) or GTD weekly reviews (Pages 191-203), you will need to set up accessible containers (such as, files, hanging or manilla folders, binders, notebooks, computer programs, etc.) These containers are the places you will keep your GTD lists, and they are also the places you will put your clarified items in the organize step of the workflow process. You could have several places to put various kinds of things.

You might want to read David Allen's updated GTD edition, Chapter 4, Pages 85-105, about Getting Started. David Allen says that initially one needs to set aside time to prepare a workstation or central cockpit of control. David Allen makes suggestions about the basic tools, supplies, and equipment a workstation needs. Some of it is about creating accessible containers. I think this is a good place to start, one small step at a time.
"scanned over your message

I have some files/folders/binders and note book. What computer programs are best recommended to use?

Should I go over the cited references of book you mention here?

How many GTD lists should I have?

Yeah I agree GTD studete is good.

"might want to read David Allen's updated GTD edition, Chapter 4, Pages 85-105, " yes I have gone over that in past.

Wouldn't hurt myself to re read it? and get more objects he reccommends?'

After a major upheaval like a house move (I'm heading for one sometime this year) a Weekly Review isn't enough. I'd do a Mind Sweep first and feed that into a Weekly Review to funnel so much change into a working GTD System.
Ive done the mind sweep exercise once before.

ITM

for main persons who responded here @
May be an image of ticket stub and text

please see pic put right here from FB. @gtdstudente @Mrs-Polifax

These two sheets of lined paper were with my A5 sheets "from original mind sweep exercise" These two sheets were just writing notes on lined paper from reading about "physical gathering" and "mind sweep" when first trying to implement those two things do the task/activity. (e.g. instructions how do physical gathering)
I was thinking do these have use right now?
Should I destroy these? (words if no one gets back within 24hrs)

"To help move the above " STN?

HI, @TimBourne,

ITM
When I saw this for first time I had the thought.

It maybe be best for myself - to go other what wrote needed do in this post thread of this thread.

Because when saw message left - your saying about going back part book pages 85-105 which I have looked at before lots of times?
But it couldn't hurt , so herin.

I just spent what five minutes *scanning over those pages 85 -105 * and yeah I can see - looking over writing - there certain pagarphs (paragraphs)/phrases which feel like must not have picked up from previously reading it.

for example that he says about using an auto labelling system.

Some things I saw that I don't have (which write basic processing tool) is stapler, scotch tape, an automatic labeller, a set of rubber bands - you are telling me I need to get these things? SV

I should look in my previous reading notes what I wrote about prior reading this page?
I have type of a4 note book which used - writing notes while reading and yeah I look and see wrote some stuff about GTD book a while ago -which really is not in best illegible handwriting, hard for myself to read, so really could provide benefit for myself try to analyse notes of these pages you cite again? Because I have impaired memory

"you will need to set up accessible containers (such as, files, hanging or manilla folders, binders, notebooks, computer programs, etc.)" I have it from prior reading - that in book didn't really give instructions for how properly set up these things (computer programmes (technology is what hav gut/heart need to focus on)) but says to look on fourm for more advice how properly set it up? ' s

@TimBourne,

195 (Get Clear)
196 (Get Current)
197 (Get Creative)

ITM

you see what @Mrs-Polifax writes below is that I really didn't have proper set up to do GTD workflow processing or "weekly review" or mind sweep to begin with.

I should continue on my train of work.

A V I M H says - why didn't no one respond/acknowledge question here I put - should I destroy my original documents of what seems to be failed type mind sweep exercise did in past from when orin ggally (orginally) writing questions on a5 sheets paper in in tray .

A V I M H says if no on responds then it makes sense for myself to re attempt the mind sweep exercise completely " S

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
After a major upheaval like a house move (I'm heading for one sometime this year) a Weekly Review isn't enough. I'd do a Mind Sweep first and feed that into a Weekly Review to funnel so much change into a working GTD System.

I once read that a house move is typically as stressful as a divorce, and that this is true, even if the move is a desirable one. This idea surprised me and stayed with me, and I offer it to you. Knowing how profoundly a house move affects us all, "upheaval" seems like a good description. Understanding this could be your secret weapon to help you plan for and cope with your move with more self-compassion.

gtdstudente

Registered
ITM

for main persons who responded here @
May be an image of ticket stub and text

please see pic put right here from FB. @gtdstudente @Mrs-Polifax

These two sheets of lined paper were with my A5 sheets "from original mind sweep exercise" These two sheets were just writing notes on lined paper from reading about "physical gathering" and "mind sweep" when first trying to implement those two things do the task/activity. (e.g. instructions how do physical gathering)
I was thinking do these have use right now?
Should I destroy these? (words if no one gets back within 24hrs)

"To help move the above " STN?
@TimBourne.

Your options might be:

1. Keep with GTD Book while just two Piece's of paper for Reference

2. Create a Digital via scan or Paper GTD folder as future Notes for GTD Reference

3. Destroy/Trash one or both . . . whatever you don't need for Reference

As you GTD see fit