Up Close with David

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
We just posted a new Up Close with David. It's an experiment to record it as video, so I apologize for the uneven sound on the video (DA is lower). We'll do better next time.

Enjoy!

Video
Audio only

PatinSC

Registered
I liked it

Somehow, watching focuses my attention better than listening.

Seeing the dog in the background was just an extra benefit. ;)

Barb

Registered
Opposite

Loved seeing Kathryn doing whatever she was doing to Suki (drying her off???) but I kinda thought the video was a little distracting. I kept trying to see what David had on his bookshelves behind him.

I can see times when this technology might be useful, though. Like a live tour of the office, or someone writing on a white board maybe. But if people are just sitting there, it doesn't really add much.

Just my opinion, of course.

Oogiem

Registered
Distracting

I found the video distracting and part way through ended up just going on to other windows and continuing to listen.

I do think, like Barb, that it would be helpful for things you talk about that are visual, office tours, showing a tickler file system, showing processing actions for things (not just paper but physical stuff), showing a reference filing system, discussing office furniture, showing storage options/ideas and so on.

CJSullivan

Registered
I'll lend my voice to the "distracting" choir...

Yup - I much prefer the audio-only with the "Up Close" feature. Video works better when there's a purpose for it. Keep experimenting, though!!

TesTeq

Registered
GTD Cafe format.

I think the video version of "Up Close with David" will work if:
  • it is a really high quality video (this video call wasn't)
  • it is a really high quality audio (there was too big volume level difference between Kelly and David)
  • it is not a video call
I suggest a setup similar to this conversation: GTD Cafe: A Conversation with Venkat Rao - Part 1. But I understand that it would require some travel...

ProfessorSue

Registered
agree, and curious...

I agree with others about the need for better video quality (which Kelly acknowledged at the outset), and that video didn't contribute substantively to this conversation. I am, however, always interested in reading people's faces, so I do prefer the video format. Also, I'm curious about David's really "cool" (to use a DA favorite term) bookcases in the background. They look like a creative modular product. Any more information available?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Thanks for all the feedback.

Sue--those bookcases are made by Design Within Reach, but they don't seem to carry them anymore.

G

GDIGESU

I like it

It was very good, actually. Before giving up, as suggested above, try it again for 4 or 5 more times. It will work out, I 'm sure.

David Parker

GTD Connect
Liked the video

When I saw that the recording was only 16 minutes I thought there wasn't going to be much to it but I think the video format adds depth to the interview and made it more personal.

When it's Kelly talking with David on audio it feels like I'm eavesdropping on a conversation. With the video, even though Kelly is there, it's as if David is talking to me and that makes it more personal.

I was slightly distracted by Suki and Kathryn plus trying to spy on what's on his bookshelf (think I saw an iPad box!) but on the whole I liked the video format.

One tech question for David/Kelly - what are the headsets you're using? They seem to work well and look comfortable to wear.

I like the video format!

Dave:)

larea

Registered
I wonder how much of the preference for video vs audio is related to the material and how much to general preference?

I actually often just listen to videos I download but that's mostly because I'm trying to drive my car at the same time! :D