@Waiting For Me...

AndyD

Registered
@Waiting For Me...

Hello GTD Fans,

I use an @Waiting For list all the time and this morning, while in the shower of all places, I was reflecting on just how useful the @Waiting For list is!

It's perfect for tracking what other people should be following up for me. Great to see it as a snapshot in a single list.

Then it hit me - what about creating the opposite (or mirrored) list showing everything other people are waiting for from me! In other words a "@Waiting For Me..." list?

To see in a single list everything i've promised to people or to follow up would be great!

Right now I can scan down my lists and projects and get a feel for who's waiting for me - but to have it own it's own list/context would be easier still!

Currently, i'll pop a calendar reminder into Outlook or set a due date on a task as a reminder to follow up - sometimes in an electronic tickler file way too.

But to add a simple @Waiting For Me category/context and pop any such items in there would be cool!

What do you think? How do you handle your own waiting for's you've promised others?

Best regards,

Andy D.

TesTeq

Registered
I see no point to create yet another list.

I see no point to create yet another list. All your commitments should be already on your Projects and Next Actions lists.

unstuffed

Registered
I think that's quite a cool idea, Andy. In my experience, the items that cause me the most grief are the ones where there's an obligation: in other words, where other people are waiting for me to do something. It might be very useful to have them all in one place, so when I get too stressed I can whip down that list and discharge a few responsibilities.

Nice one, thanks!

Alison, Down Under

AdamMiller81

Registered
Also a fan

I have to say, I'd agree that's a pretty good idea. I mean, TesTeq is right, they are in other lists, but at the same time, like Alison says, being able to quickly look in one area where the things other people are counting on me for can not only relieve a helping or two of stress, but can free up some control over your own time as well. When you've gotten rid of things others are coming looking for, you get a little more freedom as to what you do next.

Great idea!

PS. It's surprising how good the shower can be for coming up with little ideas like that, I've found the same thing! It's just a lot harder to keep a UCT nearby :)

tarheel810

Registered
Go for it

Although all of these items should be on your NA or Project lists, if having them all in one place under the @ Waiting For Me context allows your mind to more completely trust your system; go for it.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I often use my Waiting For list this way

It's a great way to remind me to do something I might be intuitively holding on or just need to wait until the time is right to do it. For example, right now I'm waiting to decide about going away for New Year's. I am waiting for more information from other people about their plans and also it's an intuitive hold--I'm just not sure that I want to spend the money yet. Or, I'll use it to remind me to do something once something else is done (for those single, not really a project kind of things) like, "Waiting to send Wayne the latest doc once I hear back from Marc." I just have to watch that I'm not putting things on Waiting For that I'm not really waiting for, but need more information that could move it forward but haven't clarified what that is yet.

Other people would use their calendar for these kinds of things, like a Tickler system describes. Whatever works best.

Great thinking Andy. I think you've got the essence down. GTD is not always as black and white as others may imply or try to enforce. I say well done on your creative thinking.

tominperu

Registered
I have to say my reaction is more like TesTeq's. Surely the idea of contexts is that we know all the things we can do in any particular context. If it's on the "Waiting for me" list it might no be on the "Call" list or the "Errands ..." list. If it's on both that is duplication and more work.

Also, why are commitments to others necessarily more important than commitments to myself? One could argue that the opposite should be true or am I being selfish?

hth

Registered
tominperu;53854 said:
Also, why are commitments to others necessarily more important than commitments to myself? One could argue that the opposite should be true or am I being selfish?

Of course commitments to others are not necessarily more important than commitments to yourself. But I think its reasonable to put all commitments with its due date in one place. Missing committed due dates is almost always a bad idea.
I think the difference is that most of us don't make commitments to ourselfs with a due date.

Yours
Alexander

TesTeq

Registered
If you don't trust your system...

tarheel810;53844 said:
Although all of these items should be on your NA or Project lists, if having them all in one place under the @ Waiting For Me context allows your mind to more completely trust your system; go for it.

If you don't trust your system, creating new redundant lists will not help. It will only complicate the system and make it harder to maintain.

You can use the "Waiting for me" list as a Weekly Review support checklist but not as an action or project list.

Do not replicate the information if your do not have to!

TesTeq

Registered
Not black and white but not infrared or ultraviolet either.

kelstarrising;53853 said:
GTD is not always as black and white as others may imply or try to enforce.

GTD is not black and white but it is not infrared or ultraviolet either. For me the additional redundant lists are outside the GTD visible spectrum.

tarheel810

Registered
Do what works

I really like the idea of using the Waiting For Me list as a support list for your weekly review rather than as an actual context; makes sense.

I think the important thing here is that this is your system. If you have found something that works for you, then you don't really need our support for it.

kewms

Registered
I've found it helpful to keep a short list of current deadlines on a white board, separate from my main project list. It helps me prioritize "in the moment," outside my weekly review.

I think I agree with TesTeq on the risks of a @Waiting For Me context, though. Redundant lists are the path to madness. If it's so important that you don't trust your NA lists and Weekly Review, put it on your calendar and just get it done.

Katherine

Sievert

Registered
It works for me!

Hi all,

I'm sure many of us do, but I have to keep track of so many formal actions but also commitments I make to people (eg the boss asks me to report on something, I offer to help out a colleague) that I effectively use a'waiting for me' list. I call it 'actions/commitments' and it's an excel spreadsheet with the date I made the commitment (or had it made on me!), date due, who or what generated the commitment, an accurate summary statement of what I committed to, a space for a formal reference if from a numbered system or meeting and an estimate of effort required.

I use conditional formatting to highlight red overdue, amber due within 1 week and yellow due within 1 month.

I use it on my monday weekly plan session and thursday weekly review and it really helps focus the week.

I keep a separate worksheet in the spreadsheet for actions completed and that is a great feel-good boost when I'm not feeling like I've achieved things, and also is useful evidence for my monthly review with the boss.

Sievert.

AVBernard

Registered
Sievert Commented: "I call it 'actions/commitments' and it's an excel spreadsheet with the date I made the commitment (or had it made on me!), date due, who or what generated the commitment, an accurate summary statement of what I committed to, a space for a formal reference if from a numbered system or meeting and an estimate of effort required.
I use conditional formatting to highlight red overdue, amber due within 1 week and yellow due within 1 month."

I like this idea as a Commitment Checklist For A Project Support Material Page, highlighting these Next Action Entries at the weekly review accordingly in Yellow, Amber, Red.
Project Commitment Checklist
Date_Commitment_Made
Date_Due
Who_Or_What_Committed_To
Formal_Reference_#_Or_Meeting
Estimate_Of_Effort_Required

And anything Amber should also be put on the Calendar.

Sievert

Registered
do it.

review weekly and keep it to hand. If it does nothing more than keep you informed of who might be coming knocking it is worth it.

It will increase your reputation for knowing what you committed to and by when. For those that say this shouldnt be treated specially think again when you need to prioritse work from your boss and work for yourself. It focuses the mind and wallet.

I use it. It works. It keeps my psychic ram clear!

ellobogrande

Registered
If you really want to distinguish actions or projects that other people need you to complete before they can take any further action versus your own, you might consider tagging it in a simple manner. Maybe put the initials of the person who's waiting on you in the title of the project/action in parentheses, or just use an * or some symbol to represent that someone's waiting on you. Above all, keep it simple or it will weigh down your system.