Want to do list on a simple phone

tominperu

Registered
At the moment I have an Palm Z22 with Chapura KeySuite. This synchs brilliantly with Outlook at work and at home.

... And I have a simple pay as you go mobile I also carry in my pocket.

I just want to carry a PDA that can do tasks, notes, calender and contact, synch with Outlook but also has a mobile phone in it.

I don't want internet. I waste enough time with that at work.

Is there no Palm that uses the old Palm sofware that also doubles as a phone. Is there a no simple Windows PDA that has something as good as KeySuite that also has a phone that doesn't require me to pay £25 a month for an 3G service I don't want to use?

I'm sure it must exist out there but I just don't know about it. By the way I am in the UK.

kmhartnett

Registered
Centro?

I use a Palm Centro. I carried around a handspring (really old) then a Zire with my cell phone for years.

Then I got the Centro, to merge the two devices (phone + PDA). I didn't sign up for the internet or data plans, so my device is just a palm plus a phone.

br4978

Registered
I think any BlackBerry unit will work for you - data plans are not a requirement for a BlackBerry. I'd suggest picking up a used unit.

I don't think RIM's Task or Memo Pad functions are quite as capable as you find with Palm OS (Search capabilities stink, for example) but there are a number of excellent 3rd party programs that compensate for this well (and synchronize with BB apps, so I assume will also sync well with Outlook). I do not synch with Outlook myself, so you'll need first-hand perspectives to judge how well this works.

Best,

tominperu

Registered
kmhartnett;67226 said:
I use a Palm Centro. I carried around a handspring (really old) then a Zire with my cell phone for years.

Then I got the Centro, to merge the two devices (phone + PDA). I didn't sign up for the internet or data plans, so my device is just a palm plus a phone.

Thank you!

That's just what I was looking for. I have also checked on the internet and it is available unlocked on any network.

I know Palm and Keysuite work well so will go for that.

kmhartnett

Registered
Yep. Stylus & Touch Screen

Mine came with a plastic one that was pretty flimsy (flexible). I bought a three-pack of "metal" ones on e-bay, and have been much happier with them.

sdann

Registered
The stylus that came with my palm centro is very sturdy for me (watch something happen after I say this.) It's good to know that I can get metal ones though.

notmuch

Registered
tominperu;67268 said:
Just one question. Does it have a stylus?

If Chapura has done their job and optimized KeySuite for use with the 5-way and keyboard of the Centro, you won't need your stylus much. I was a hard core graffiti and stylus user and the Centro converted me. Having to use the stylus now is an inconvenience I put up with in some old software.

That said, you will know immediately if you have flimsy or sturdy stylus. If it is the former definitely get a metal one.

tominperu

Registered
Have just got the Centro. Seems I got the last one in the shop as they were taking out of their line.

Glad I got it though as I am worried that there won't be any synch without internet connection on the new Palms coming.

It works great. Keysuite works a treat as it did on my Z22. The only thing I have lost is notepad which is a pity but I can live without it. (anyone know of a replacement on Centro) Just great having a phone and PDA combined. The querty keyboard works well for sending texts too.

Yes it comes with the annoying flexible stylus. I will need a metal one.

johnaohman

Registered
Notepad Replacement

First of all, I agree wholeheartedly with your like for KeySuite - it's great! I use it on a Palm Treo 700P.

It's been a long time since I've seen/used notepad, but wasn't that like a free form notepad that you actually "wrote" on? If so, I would suggest Diddlebug as a free alternative.

Also, I may great use of an older application called "Slap" (Handshigh Software), although I believe some other company has now taken it over and renamed the application. It's a great palm based capture tool in that it allows you to type in text and subsequently transform the text into date, contact, task or note items .. .. .. AND .. .. .. it works with KeySuite's proprietary databases in addition to native Palm apps.