We have an inaccurate idea about how much time the clarifying step should take

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I was just working on a webinar recording and heard GTD Coach Julie Ireland say, regarding the clarifying step for our inboxes, "We have an inaccurate idea about how much time that should take." It's about 90 minutes a day for most knowledge workers. Not necessarily all at once. It could be a few minutes first thing in the morning, and larger chunks during the day. But if you're a knowledge worker and you don't have time-space for around 90 minutes of inbox clarifying a day, backlog is likely to build up. You'll know if you've allowed enough time if you're not getting your inboxes to zero regularly.

Have you made room for your clarifying each day? If not, what conversations about current reality do you need to have with your direct reports, those you report to, your family, and perhaps most important, yourself?

Remember, David Allen has said, "There's no catching up, there's only catching on."

Oogiem

Registered
I know that that is about true for even jobs not normally thought of as knowledge work. I'd maintain that there aren't any jobs that don't really need at least an hour a day to decide what to do with the incoming inputs. For me when I miss that, as in the last 2 weeks, I get really far behind and it takes even longer to get caught up.