Webinar Idea: Best Practices for Digging out from under a Landslide

larea

Registered
I would love to see some extra coaching on getting our from under. Because of the convergence of many factors, including reorganization at work, massive process and personnel changes, personal/family events, some health issues, system failure, etc. I am under a huge pile of STUFF that needs to be worked. This is what created enough pain so that I became motivated to really "do GTD" and joined Connect.

I feel like I am making gradual progress and I think I have reached a state where there is a LITTLE more going out (done etc.) than coming in. But I am interested in any additional ideas to make this more efficient and also feedback on what I am trying now.

The Inventory: In my most recent review yesterday, I had 356 next actions, which I reduced to 320 during the review (do, delete, someday, etc.) I have 140 projects that are in "active" status plus 70 more I have put into a hold status - one category is "on deck" which means they are next and the other is "incubated" which is a little longer term.

To provide a frame of reference, for my "work" projects I have about 30 active (and many more incubated) which are projects I would put on a list to show my boss as a significant project. Example would be a contract negotiation: determine and evaluate alternatives, gather relevant data, comparative economics, negotiate specific terms of 30 page contract or amendment to contract, obtain endorsement from 3-7 stakeholder groups depending on size, obtain execution, and handle implementation logistics.

In addition to these, I have about 30 waiting fors, about 70 next actions for the on deck/incubated projects (using on deck and incubated as the NA, then when I activate it's ready to go) and 235 additional someday maybes. My someday/maybe lists consist of both NAs and potential projects, both maybes and additional items that I don't have bandwidth for yet and feel can be delayed but I am still somewhat committed to them. Categories include Someday - Next (6), Someday - Later (56), Someday - Will do but who knows when (19), Someday - Maybe and Maybe Not (23) and also some more generic somedays like Someday - Gift Ideas, Someday- Surfing, Someday - Shopping, etc.

The Overwhelm: But having these projects "incubated" still left me with a 300+ list of NAs which was too many to work with. So last week (tried this once before) I did a combination of 2 things to help me focus - I put 2 big projects and some upcoming deadlines on my calendar as all day events...and I tagged a group of next actions and made an outlook view where I excluded the non-tagged ones. (This actually would have worked better if I tagged the ones to EXCLUDE so then I would not have to remember to tag a new item if I wanted to see it.) The result was a set of context lists with about 200 items which I could work with better. I would really be more comfortable at the 150 item level.

So here are some specific problem areas:

• Obviously I make too many commitments on the front end and tend to be pretty optimistic about what I can actually do.
  • I just realized this week that 1/2 of those active projects are personal. One would think that some of those might have some flexibility! ;)
  • I am experimenting and struggling with the mechanics of getting the right things in front of my face at the right time just due to volume.
  • After doing some (mental) exercises related to a GTD Study group podcast I listened to yesterday, I think I have a subconscious very strong belief that even though I am totally swamped right now, in the very near future I will have much more time and energy to do the things I am too tired to do today.
  • I have to guard against the overwhelmed syndrome (what's the point, every time I do one action I just have 3 more to add!) leading to inaction.
  • I need to make more progress and get better at identifying things that really don't need to be done or that could be renegotiated. I feel a very strong obligation to complete anything I commit to and a strong aversion to going back to renegotiate anything with another person. I'm more in the "I said I would do it and so I just have to find a way" camp.
  • In my weekly reviews, I am doing pretty well on my next actions but have trouble really reflecting too much on each project. I get a little stressed out when I go through the project list. So to avoid that I am doing 2 things during the project section: 1 - make sure all active projects have a next action. 2 - look at the overall lists to see if I want to change the status of the project. (The part that was stressful was that I was feeling like I should be really reflecting on each project, and I could not stand to do that 210 times!)

I really think the answer has to be limiting the number of things in front of my face because I seem to get a lot more done when looking at the smaller list. However, any feedback/tricks/ideas would be appreciated.

D

dannybader

digging out from under the landslide

Sounds like you're doing some great self-coaching.

A few thoughts-
1. Be certain all the next actions can be acted on now. In some cases folks place "future" next action on their action lists. These are better kept in the project plan.

2. Place critical next actions on your calendar as all-day events, there are some days I don't even look at my lists because my calendar has enough defined work/actions on it.

3. Continue to identify what you can "take off your plate" at the moment to create some energy. Most people are overcommitted - the question to consider is if that state of overcommitment is realistic, if not and it's unrealistic for one person, to say "NO" or renegotiate is the best path forward.

One woman I've worked with is in #3 and has scheduled a very serious conversation with her boss about he amount expecter from her...time will tell.

Hope this helps.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Added to our Webinar ideas list

And, just give yourself time to dig through it. Take the 2 days David suggests to really setup GTD and go through Part Two of the book.

This chapter of the Getting Started addresses backlog too.

larea

Registered
Thanks

Danny and Kelly, I really appreciate the advice and encouragement. I know I have more work I can do on my system and on refining my workload so I will continue to plug away at it and look for some chunks of time where I can really reflect about it too . Also, I listened to the Motivation webinar today, enjoyed it tremendously. (Why am I doing all this? Because I want to develop the control and perspective to eliminate the things I should not be doing, handle all the stuff I "have to" do as efficiently and effectively as possible so that I will have the time and space to do the things I WANT to do! )

P.S. I am really trying to avoid having that very conversation with my (almost brand new) manager! :oops: