Webinars Video Quality

ciprian.cosma

Registered
Hello GTD Team,

Is it possible to have for download the possibility to choose the video quality?
I could understand that the podcasts are low quality...but I would like to have a choice.

For example I also have a payed membership at screencastsonline.com (57usd/3 month) and I can choose from 3 video qualities, including HD.

Why am I raising this issue? Today my general manager asked me about the Outlook settings and wanted to watch the outlook webinar...and after a few minutes I played it on my computer...he refused to watch because of the poor video quality...

So...If others would be interested in this subject maybe the GTD team will be convinced to put a little extra effort.

Thanks in advance,
CC

P.S. I know for a fact that it is not such a big issue to choose multiple exporting formats (at least not o a Mac :D )...and hosting space and traffic should not be a problem on the 21 century

ciprian.cosma

Registered
The issue is video quality

I am talking about the video quality of the webinars (that are feeded through Podcasts or available for download as .m4v).

Attached some screenshots...

Attached files

cstamas

Registered
I agree

I agree with you.

This is also true for the mp3 quality. I am not sure if it is just compression quality or a bad mic.

With a little more effort it could be much better than it is now.

Thanks in advance gtd staff!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
More options...

Ciprian,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

In reading your thread more carefully, I see now you are specifically referring to the podcast version of the Webinars. Those will always be lower quality because they are formatted specifically for iTunes at 320x240. Increasing the window size as your screen shots indicate, will only make the quality worse as the pixels get stretched.

Even with the smaller size, a one-hour Webinar sent to the podcast is 50MB. We did share this concern with members when we started doing Webinars, and the vote was to send them through podcast anyway, in addition to posting in the Media Library on the site. So we do create the podcast version in the best quality we can, while conforming to that specific iTunes format. Those will never be as good of quality as the FLV version playing on the Connect website.

For the Outlook one in particular, knowing there is quite a bit of screen detail that people would want to see, we also kept a link to the original file on the GoToWebinar site: https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/video.php?titleid=192&trackid=662 (see the link on that page for the file on the GTW site.) That is a much better version, and I would encourage you to show that one to your boss.

The KickStart 2010 one displays quite nicely for me in the Connect Media player (see screenshot) and in the iTunes version. Again, the larger I make the iTunes window, the grainier the resolution.

We don't plan on hosting the media on another site, like screencastsonline. This would not only increase the cost of a Connect membership, it would be a departure from our password-protected, current podcast stream through iTunes, which for all intents and purposes, works quite well.

We continue to work on improving the quality of our media. That's one reason I personally want to redo the Guided Weekly Review.

We wish you all the best,

Kelly & the Connect Team

Attached files