Well, my thread is gone.

T

Turner

[I typed this and was asked to log in --again-- before posting and it disappeared, so hey... here's a rebuild.]

Ok, I'm going to admit it right now:

I will not have the luxury of putting everything on hold in order to begin my process. There's simply no way; if we're talking about work alone, too many people depend on what I'm doing all day long. I've recently begun the job I'm at, and cannot stop the presses. (In some cases, literally!)

That said, while it's not ideal, I'll have to address it at some point, and it will simply have to be done in a modular fashion; a filing cabinet here, a drawer there.

So:

While people are recommending reading through the book first, I still have to get my project management system working a little better, and have taken some steps toward implementing an overall process with greater efficiency. Here are a few things I'm doing "in the mean time", at work - it probably doesn't all fit in the exact GTD model, but it's already helping.

1) Trashing stuff. I've "inherited" not only the stuff that came with my office - reference materials, old publications, two LARGE filing cabinets full of stuff dating back to 1994 and older.. plus, another office which I've been working on, which was full of all this type of stuff, plus furniture, office supplies, software, product samples, and a bunch of random stuff. It was a dumping ground of sorts, and now that I'm cleaning it out (and making great progress) a bunch of people are asking if they can store stuff in there ;)

2) Keeping a maximum of five current project folders in my desk rack. (Unless I'm referring to one or performing a quick action.) I have 86 active projects.

3) Applying the "two-minute rule" to email.

4) Emailing instead of walking/conversing. Someone usually stops me in the hallway when I'm walking around. People like to chat. I do, but not when I'm trying to get something done. That said, I like walking around... feels like exercise or something.

5) FileMaker. Ok, this is a big one. I use FileMaker to track my projects. Without getting too specific, I've modified my database so that multiple entries can be associated with the same project (rather than simply keeping lots of project notes in a single record) and have added the abilities to identify entries as a PROJECT or an ACTION, as well as identifying an ACTION as the NEXT ACTION.

This is all sortable, so if I have a project with 15 actions, I can identify any of the actions as NEXT ACTION (or multiple entries if I have toss-ups) .

Combined with other fields such as Due Date and Priority, this gets pretty powerful.

I can also sort ALL projects and bring all NEXT ACTIONS to the top for review.

Anyway, there was some other stuff, but I don't remember what it was now...

Andrew

roakleyca

Registered
Hey Andrew,

Was that post an FYI or was there a question in there you needed help with?

Good luck with your new GTD habits ---- one step at a time.

T

Turner

Just an FYI, really.

I guess the small changes in my methods are giving me the feeling of some positive progress.

Andrew

Barry

Registered
If you can't do a full implementation all at once, be sure to draw a bright line between the past and the future and be sure all new input is being properly processed to zero per the GTD process. Then you can attack the past in bite sized chunks as projects without letting any new input fall through the cracks.

T

Turner

Hey Barry-

thanks for the thoughts.

It's hard not to blur that line a bit; I have to "pull thing across" as I work on them, but my processing has become faster; I'm basically making quicker decisions because of processing based a lot on what the next actions entail.

The projects at work keep coming, and many of them involve a good bit of design. I'm the only one capable of making design/editing changes on things like catalogs (in-house, anyway) so Next Actions really help me sort through all my possible choices at a given time.

I'm sure this isn't news to anyone here... :)

thx
andrew

M

misanthropic777

If you implement only the two minute rule and always deciding what the next action is (in meetings, when things hit your desk, etc) you will be WAY ahead of the curve.

Congrats on the new job!