What Capture Tool Do You Carry Around W/ You Everywhere?

HappyDude

Registered
I perhaps learned the hard way in capturing new information when I took out my iPod Touch to get into the OmniFocus app to jot down incoming information...at meetings, class sessions and just hanging out with friends.

A received a few disgusted looks when I took out my iPod Touch to jot down future appointment dates and important information. I explained in a meeting of the OF App and they retreated their reservations, but only a bit.

I live within OmniFocus on both my Mac & iPod yet have noticed the looks I get when I'll take it out mid-conversation to jot down an important note the other person has mentioned. & on a personal note dont enjoy taking random quick notes on it, seeing as I have to slide to unlock, enter password, enter OF app, wait 5 for seconds for it to load, enter the inbox, add new note and then type.

You've seen those composition notebooks? Like these:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=201384&cmArea=CertonaSKU|639653|cmS&cm_sp=Personalization-_-Certona-_-Recommendation

Well i'm sure you've seen the pocket size ones, like a 2 pack for under a buck. Something like this is preferable to me, however admittedly can be kinda bulky at times; similar to carrying another phone or..ipod touch.

Nevertheless am wondering what your quintissential capture tool is that you carry around everywhere? You must have one. :rolleyes:

Oogiem

Registered
HappyDude;72977 said:
Nevertheless am wondering what your quintissential capture tool is that you carry around everywhere? You must have one. :rolleyes:

I carry 3 in a belt pouch that I made myself.

1 is my digital camera a Canon PowerShot S 410 that I've had for a long time. I'm looking at potential replacements for Christmas.

Second is a cheap little 3 x 5 spiral bound notepad I buy by the dozen at Sam's Club

Last is my Treo Cell phone but I rarely use it as a primary capture device.

HappyDude

Registered
Oogiem;72982 said:
I carry 3 in a belt pouch that I made myself.

1 is my digital camera a Canon PowerShot S 410 that I've had for a long time. I'm looking at potential replacements for Christmas.

Second is a cheap little 3 x 5 spiral bound notepad I buy by the dozen at Sam's Club

Last is my Treo Cell phone but I rarely use it as a primary capture device.

All on a self made belt pouch?

That's interesting; im curious to see how that looks...

...if possible. :D

MarinaMartin

Registered
I carry a Moleskine in my purse, but if I were a guy, I'd keep a slip of paper (even a blank business card) in my wallet to jot notes.

I have a Blackberry and an iPhone and I can always jot a quick note to myself with a pen faster than inputting it into either device.

During my Weekly Review (at least), I drop the pieces of paper into my Inbox and process them. Notes that I want to retain are typed into Evernote for permanent storage/searchability.

HappyDude

Registered
mark.thomsen;72985 said:
I use the smallest version of this pad:
http://www.smarter.com/notepads-writing-pads/tops-mini-writing-pad/pd--ch-40--pi-35443.html

If try capturing with anything other than this pad, I loose the idea. So, Like DA, I'm a big advocate for pen and paper capturing. Definitely open to new technologies though.

Mark

I agree pen and paper is best, normally i'll have index cards with me at the very least which later goes into my OF inbox.

The smallest site pad there is simliar to the one i used to carry in my back pocket. alongside a small pilot #7 pen which i cant live w/o.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Note Taker

David Co. Note Taker wallet here too.

Most of the time it's a toss up between capturing on a Note Taker page or using the IN functionality of the Omni Focus iPhone app.

Mardo

Registered
capture tool

I gave up on anything non analog to take notes since it just takes to long.
But I have to like something to use it. I have the 3x5 Red leather circa that just flips open and is ready to go. I love the color, the feel, and the fact that it fits perfectly in the outside pocket of my pocketbook or in any pocket for that matter.

Techrat

Registered
Capture Tool

I have been using a Flipnotes http://www.amazon.com/Wellspring-Flip-Notes-Emerald-Notepad/dp/B000W8HAQM/ref=pd_sbs_op_5 notebook for some time and find it to suit my needs very well even though there are some problems to overcome.

Likes: Small, Integral Pen, Hard cover protects notes even in pants pockets while doing rougher work.

Dilikes: The pen that comes with it is not very good (I have altered to accept a space pen which I love), The paper refills are not the nicest paper to write on and are a bit expensive. (I have started making my own custom refills with a paper cutter and stapler.

The hard covers and integral pen are the 2 aspects that I find hard to beat with any other solution.

madptd317

Registered
What about Lists? What does wveryone put those in?

I am a newbie to GTD and this seems to have become my biggest problem! I have had pads, journals, poprtfolios etc. etc. for years and am in the hunt for the "perfect" list adding, taking, crossing off "tool". I have had 5 since I started GTD only 1 month ago. I am really struggling with some of the concepts of where to put the master list, I have gotten as far as putting the ML into a journal (not perfect) under contexts but find that I will definaltely be running out of space quickly but dont want one too large. I am female so I am lucky to be able to carry a purse, but still dont want it to be an 8x11. I feel the need to have EVERYHTING with me at all times though wich makes me feel ready for anything that may turn up. I orderd an index briefcase and it should be hers soon so I will be using that as my ICD. Any and all suggestions would be great! I am not using the 43 folders due to the fact I am not in a postition to look at them everyday as I am my lists. Thanks in advance and sorry for this being so long.

HappyDude

Registered
madptd317;73009 said:
I am a newbie to GTD and this seems to have become my biggest problem! I have had pads, journals, poprtfolios etc. etc. for years and am in the hunt for the "perfect" list adding, taking, crossing off "tool". I have had 5 since I started GTD only 1 month ago. I am really struggling with some of the concepts of where to put the master list, I have gotten as far as putting the ML into a journal (not perfect) under contexts but find that I will definaltely be running out of space quickly but dont want one too large. I am female so I am lucky to be able to carry a purse, but still dont want it to be an 8x11. I feel the need to have EVERYHTING with me at all times though wich makes me feel ready for anything that may turn up. I orderd an index briefcase and it should be hers soon so I will be using that as my ICD. Any and all suggestions would be great! I am not using the 43 folders due to the fact I am not in a postition to look at them everyday as I am my lists. Thanks in advance and sorry for this being so long.

I've tried at least 3 times within the past year to implement the 43 folder, tickler file system and its just not for me. It was more of a crutch. I even tried randomly adding $20 bills in there so I'd be motivated in looking up each folder but in the end it didn't end up helping me.

You gotta mold GTD to your liking.

I originally started GTD with pen and paper, writing down every single mind sweep thought and writing every single project and action step. At first it was about 100 actions in 30+ projects, my 1st weekly review took 4 hours...cause it was all on paper. With OmniFocus I get it done in 45 minutes if I'm really motivated.

As for carrying it all around I used to look at my next action/available action lists in the morning and write them in 3x5 index cards. This worked somewhat okay you know things change all the time throughout your day. So at times I wouldn't have been able to tackle much or any other of the actions I wrote on the index cards, or on some days would actually finish all those next actions, meanwhile 30 miles away from home the next next action step list was unattainable.

I did this for about 2-3 months while I was saving up to purchase an ipod touch to use the OF app. Now I always have my iPod with me, mainly for the OF app. Literally my mind & life is in OmniFocus and having OmniFocus on my iPod touch is like carrying a 2nd brain which I love.

Side Note: Recently my friends have gotten PS3's and want me to get one too. Money is kinda tight and its not really the time to purchase a gaming system so they suggested I sell my iPod Touch and purchase the PS3. I laughed seeing as i'd practically be selling my productivity. :mrgreen:

Edit: Just wanted to say, that since switching to OF (I don't work for them or anything but do love their app) I really began trusting my GTD system. Initially when starting GTD I had about 30+ projects, many of which were dropped I'm sure...to now where I'm tackling close to 80 projects and have confidence in my ability to finish them. I've found my GTD system that I trust that will allow me to keep more plates spinning at a more professional level as David Allen mentions in his 1st book. Trust yourself that you'll get to where you wanna be. Fake it till you make it.

madptd317

Registered
Happy dude Thanks

Happy Dude! YOu made my month by replying to me! This was the first site time I have ever posted or even reallly done much on the pc. I had emailed several personal emails to people on this site but no one got back to me. Im a bit excited if u cant tell! LOL soo. now that i have someone who knows what I am talking about I have a few more ?? if u dont mind. What do u keep all of your @errands, @pc, etc lists in? When u were all paper? my hubby is getting me an ITouch but im really pretty paper based person. I have a PSP but why a PS3? what does it do now?

Oogiem

Registered
madptd317;73009 said:
II am female so I am lucky to be able to carry a purse, but still dont want it to be an 8x11. I feel the need to have EVERYHTING with me at all times though wich makes me feel ready for anything that may turn up.

I've decided that I will forgo looking like a fashion plate and instead have embraced that I am closer to a chubby, short, Lara Croft instead ;-)

So I carry a belt pouch with my GTD tools. The other side of my belt has my epi pen and my leatherman tool. I currently synch my Omnifocus stuff to my Treo cell phone via Missing Synch. Not great but it does allow me to carry everything with me as I require. I may not look great but I can Get Things Done no matter where I am. I can usually deal with most emergencies. I keep threatening to start carrying some duct tape. With that and some baling twine I'd be set. I do carry twine in my coat pocket. MacGyver has nothing on a farmer :)

I can't carry a purse, they get in the way. I must be totally hands free. I'm probably the only GTD'er who selects clothing based on how well I can carry my GTD stuff with me while wearing it :)

madptd317

Registered
Thanks Oogie

I have read many of your posts and you have got to be one hell of a fun person!! I however, am fun and all but not able to get out of bed some days so no need for me to carry any McGyver stuff on me! I am (was, kinda still am) a karate instructor and have enough things up my sleeve to deal with anything that is not in my purse! Sooo funny you said Lara Croft too! I went out last Halloween as her! Have 4 feet of hair, put it in a braid and put on some leather pants!! Anyway... I am no at all techi and have no idea what you even said about your gadgets! Sorry. I have a Palm Treo but have never sinked it?? I have never even updated it. I just use the calendar in it and use the reminder for events, and of course the phone. Im just not sure what to do with my lists.

BillyIdol

Registered
I like my Olympus Digital Voice Recorder!!!

I saw a video of David Allen going through his office on Youtube. I almost freaked when I saw his Olympus Digital Voice Recorder that looked exactly like mine!!!

I think that audio is the way to go. I like the Olympus because it has one touch recording. Maybe other digital voice recorders have it too, but I'll stick with my Olympus. I have a voice recorder app on my IPhone, but it takes about 3 buttons to record and is clumsy. Iphone voice recorder is just a back up.

I like audio because you can jot down notes while driving. I do mine when stopped. I would never try to write while driving. Audio is king. People actually like to speak into it to give contact information.

I lost my voice recorder for 3 days and felt like a lost puppy. My efficiency was way down. When I found it again, I was in heaven!!!

Voice recording for me...all the way!!!!

John

HappyDude

Registered
madptd317;73013 said:
Happy Dude! YOu made my month by replying to me! This was the first site time I have ever posted or even reallly done much on the pc. I had emailed several personal emails to people on this site but no one got back to me. Im a bit excited if u cant tell! LOL soo. now that i have someone who knows what I am talking about I have a few more ?? if u dont mind. What do u keep all of your @errands, @pc, etc lists in? When u were all paper? my hubby is getting me an ITouch but im really pretty paper based person. I have a PSP but why a PS3? what does it do now?

Back when I 1st began I essentially carried around about 15 sheets of paper with me at all times. About 3 pages consisted of available next actions, available from the moment those pages were printed. The following 6-ish pages consisted of all my action steps according to context and the rest of the pages were all my projects listed in order with their action steps. I would normally print at least 2 15page copies as I would write and cross off actions I'd complete or needed to be modified according to my personal encounters and overall day. I'll be honest and mention that with this initial process I was productive for only the first 2 days after printing stuff out; primarilly because things change so much when I was being productive and sure I could've kept printing stuff out nightly for the next day, however a lot of modification was needed.

Concerning where my original @contexts laid were within the printed pages, which were normally created in Microsoft Word or Apple's Pages.

Fast forwarding to today, I'm still a paper and pen kinda person, however only to supplement my GTD (OF) system. I find it that I need a few sheets of paper with a good pen I like to hold during my weekly review to process my past notes and thoughts. And overall enjoy capturing ideas/thoughts with pen and paper rather than the iPod Touch, however when I'm on my Mac i'll jot it down in OmniFocus as essentially everything at the end of the night and end of the week all goes into the OmniFocus inbox.

As for the PS3 ordeal my friends all just wanna do some online gaming since we've moved away from each other, however I feel i've outgrowned video games being outside of High school for many years. If I play a video game, which is rarely its usually on the iPod Touch.

Oogiem;73014 said:
I've decided that I will forgo looking like a fashion plate and instead have embraced that I am closer to a chubby, short, Lara Croft instead ;-)

So I carry a belt pouch with my GTD tools. The other side of my belt has my epi pen and my leatherman tool. I currently synch my Omnifocus stuff to my Treo cell phone via Missing Synch. Not great but it does allow me to carry everything with me as I require. I may not look great but I can Get Things Done no matter where I am. I can usually deal with most emergencies. I keep threatening to start carrying some duct tape. With that and some baling twine I'd be set. I do carry twine in my coat pocket. MacGyver has nothing on a farmer :)

I can't carry a purse, they get in the way. I must be totally hands free. I'm probably the only GTD'er who selects clothing based on how well I can carry my GTD stuff with me while wearing it :)

Selecting clothing based on what you can carry towards utilizing GTD is mind-boggling. I love it! Do you ask at a store, "Would these pants be able to fix my next actions list and contexts comfortably?" :mrgreen:
BillyIdol;73016 said:
I saw a video of David Allen going through his office on Youtube. I almost freaked when I saw his Olympus Digital Voice Recorder that looked exactly like mine!!!

I think that audio is the way to go. I like the Olympus because it has one touch recording. Maybe other digital voice recorders have it too, but I'll stick with my Olympus. I have a voice recorder app on my IPhone, but it takes about 3 buttons to record and is clumsy. Iphone voice recorder is just a back up.

I like audio because you can jot down notes while driving. I do mine when stopped. I would never try to write while driving. Audio is king. People actually like to speak into it to give contact information.

I lost my voice recorder for 3 days and felt like a lost puppy. My efficiency was way down. When I found it again, I was in heaven!!!

Voice recording for me...all the way!!!!

John

I saw that very same video and those 3 minutes were a huge help. I initially watched it when I was organizing my desk at home having only purchased a few inbox/outbox trays. When I saw his organization regarding all his folders I flipped and got the same thing; kinda. I got the same folder holder for the top of my desk which keeps my current projects I should have an eye on and bought a little bamboo folder holder that holds the rest of my 1 year+ accumilated folders. Great video.

As for taking down notes, I've tried the recording app on the iPod Touch and hate it. Normally I'd record on my phone and send it to my email, which at the end of the day gets processed into my OF...however in all reality and honestly all of my thoughts/notes is written down. Sadly, this has included while driving. Though to my weak defense I don't look down at the paper when writing. I just write, knowing i'll read the sloppiness later in the day.

Oogiem

Registered
Pix of my Capture stuff

OK I think I got the picture attached.

Top to bottom left to right.

The padded pouch I made for my camera, being used to take this shot. My belt pouch. It has one internal pocket.

My Treo in it's pouch. The black ribbon is key, it is used to pull the phone out in a hurry. I learned from this one not to make the pull ribbon so long. The pouch I made for hubby has a shorter ribbon so you can't send the phone flying in a hurry as I have done with mine. When this one wears out I'll replace it. A couple of cheap ballpoint pens. In winter I also add a pencil, can't write with pens when it's freezing out.

Spare battery for my camera, a couple of business cards, the folded printout from my Open Office spreadsheep. It has all the sheep, tag numbers, names, ages, sex, sire and dam, single or twin and codon 171 status. I put these things into the internal pocket of my belt pouch.

My capture notebook.

I wear this everywhere. When off the farm I add a purse with checkbooks, wallet etc but this is what is with me all the time no matter where I am.

Attached files