What is an alternative to hanging filing cabinets (in Britain)?

Domen

Registered
I see David's objections to the hanging file system, but how do you call the alternative?? the book just says 'use plain folders standing up by themselves' - but I only see hanging cabinets when i do search online (amazon for example).

perhaps if someone could post a link to such filing cabinet, would be great.

thanks

mcogilvie

Registered
What is an alternative to hanging filing cabinets (in Britain)?

Here in the US we use lethal injection. Except in Texas, where filing cabinets caught rustling are still hanged.

doer

Registered
I think all the filing cabinets are designed for hanging files, but they also tend to have the sliding "locking plate" in the back of each drawer so you can "compress" all the folders/files so they stay close together and don't fall down or tip over. The exception would be the cabinets designed for files/folders to be aligned sideways (left to right), which don't typically have the locking plates, so one would have to use the hanging files in that case. If your cabinet allows you to fill the drawers from front to back, so you can see the files and their labels while looking straight ahead (vs. having to look from the side), you probably have a locking plate in that cabinet that will allow you to stand the folders upright by compressing them forward.

My issue is that I like to keep all my bills and expenses in a hanging file called "bills and expenses" so I can access all the folders quickly when I'm paying my bills. Within that file I have alphabetized all the folders. And then, of course, I use the same logic throughout the file cabinet, with "household", "family", etc. hanging files and so on. In other words, I'm resisting this recommendation at this point. I'll probably end up converting the next time I get frustrated enough to take the time to change it . Good luck.