What is the outcome for "Set up GTD System"?

blacktiger990

Registered
Using the natural planning model to try and revamp my GTD system for the new year, and migrate from Evernote to OneNote, I am trying to set up a new GTD system in a new tool. I am using OneNote because it integrates a lot better than Evernote for the tools that I use at work.

But when I come to the Vision of Wild Success, I am stuck. Looking at it in more detail, this looks much more like an AoF. A GTD system is a living beast and the "Set Up' is rarely ever done, but rather continues to evolve and adapt over time. How have you all managed this in your own lives? I'm sure I am not the only one with this project on my list.

TesTeq

Registered
What is the outcome for "Set up GTD System"?
"I know where to put each piece of the incoming stuff and I trust that I will be able to find it in the future."

treelike

Registered
How have you all managed this in your own lives? I'm sure I am not the only one with this project on my list.

I'm using a twenty year old palmtop to run my system and need to move it to something more modern because when the palmtop breaks I won't be able to replace it. I made this a 30,000ft/ Level 3 thing because my palmtop is likely to survive the 1-2 year timescale and it gives me the time to complete all the little projects to make a modern system as good as this older thing I use. For example I like a physical keyboard but modern tablets have the on screen keyboards that I find infuriating to use. A bit of research showed that I can buy a physical keyboard for them, but how to keep it small enough to keep in my pocket, keep it attached, etc, etc. Add to this things like battery life considerations (my palmtop goes for days on a couple of AA's), I need a system that I can use offline because I like to do my weekly reviews in the wilderness and the fact that I use a simple but specific software solution which no app I have found so far can replace- there's enough projects there for a 1-2 year goal.

I think that if I made this a big project (10k) rather than 30k, it would take up too much "current" time, if that makes any sense, and other things would stop getting done.

In a way it's easier to set up when starting GTD for the very first time because after years when you have to change due to obsolescence/compatibility issues you find out how difficult it is to retain all the refinements you've made along the way with the system you've built up.