What other time-management methods, other than GTD, have you tried?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by Ship69, Jul 20, 2017.

1. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

@Ship69: I think it's worth asking yourself why you're having trouble getting to the more important things. Is it your approach to productivity, or is there another reason why you're gravitating to the less important tasks? If you're unclear about your priorities, or unconsciously resisting certain tasks for some reason, adding more layers to your life management system will be akin to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I recently played around with time-blocking after reading about @Longstreet's success with it. I haven't found it as useful as he has, but I think he and I would agree that it is only useful to the extent that you've made a rock-solid commitment to the thing you've blocked in your calendar.

For example, I've taken up competitive running. I've already decided that I love it, I know why I'm doing it, and where it fits into the higher-level horizons of my life. So I schedule times during the week to run. It works because I'm already 100% committed to running. Scheduling it is just a tool to prevent other people from grabbing up my running time.

My point is, whether you look into Franklin-Covey, kanban, time-blocking, Deep Work or something else, they won't help if the internal commitment isn't there. They'll just create more things to undermine your self-confidence and create frustration.

2. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Yes, yes, yes!

Longstreet likes this.
  3. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

Covey was basically what I used for decades.

Strengths, big picture view of your life
    Weakness, ignores the tiny niggling open loops that keep you from really shining in your purpose

I still like the questions to determine your life's work/purpose that come from the top down approach of Covey. But for actually executing the actions that will allow you to reach those lofty aspirations there is nothing that beats GTD.

Key is consistency, review and a willingness to externalize much of your thinking.

GTD is my external brain.

4. Suelin23

Suelin23 Registered

Planner
    I used to try and integrate the thinking, but never really embedded GTD. So now I'm ignoring all other systems and just focusing on the GTD guide and doing it as closely as recommended, and making far more progress than ever before.

Cpu_Modern likes this.
  5. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Professor of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
    I like this approach! Focus on GTD practices and principles....and let us know if we can be of help. CHeers!

6. Cpu_Modern

Cpu_Modern Registered

@Longstreet: What's up with the suit and tie? Are you having a formal dinner tonight? :)

Longstreet likes this.
  7. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

It is my official portrait as a Board member of a national organization. And we did have a formal dinner!

bcmyers2112 and TesTeq like this.
  8. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

You clean up well.

Longstreet likes this.
  9. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Thanks! I always try...:D