what sort of detail do you put with you someday / maybe items

macgrl

Registered
At the moment it seems that I will just put an idea, not a next action and for most of them no form of planning or other documents.

Is that ok?

I review them each week and then one day I will use that couple of word trigger to formulate a plan, or if I decide that it is no longer something I want to pursue I will delete it.

Egs from my someday / maybe list

"sort out comp files / organisation"
"gym plan?"
"checklists for accountant"
"back lawn project" - this one has a detailed plan attached mainly because I was going to do it sooner but have had to postponed for I'm not sure how long.

I am basically treating it as a quick dumping ground for ideas, with no analysis and no deciding what else to do (as with my current projects and next action lists)

TesTeq

Registered
Someday/Maybe is not actionable now.

macgrl;82382 said:
At the moment it seems that I will just put an idea, not a next action and for most of them no form of planning or other documents.

Is that ok?

Someday/Maybe can be just one line or a full project plan with reference information attached.

The common characteristics for all Someday/Maybe items is the lack of Next Actions.

Someday/Maybe is not actionable now.

Oogiem

Registered
macgrl;82382 said:

Is that ok?

Sure.

I have some projects in someday maybe that are very well planned and I have some that are just one or 2 word ideas

Examples from my system

Medieval Illustrated Book of Hours/Calendar is partially planned. I have the illustrations I want to make for each season and ideas on them but haven't even started to get the colored pencils or inks and paint to try to actually do it.

Knitted DNA cable border for knitted quilt has nothing more in it than the title

History timeline is also similarly undefined although I have the SW package I want to learn to create it in the notes.

bishblaize

Registered
I dont think it matters either way really - certainly if you've had the thought you may as well capture it somewhere. And some things never change - a recipe or set of building instructions probably stay consistent. But other projects change over time as the world around you changes, so what may have been a perfectly good project plan 6 months ago is irrelevant now, and all that time you spent planning becomes wasted.

Oogiem

Registered
bishblaize;82415 said:
what may have been a perfectly good project plan 6 months ago is irrelevant now, and all that time you spent planning becomes wasted.

I don't think any time spent planning is wasted. If you needed to plan to get the item off your mind, even as a someday maybe thing and the plan changes at least you've gotten some additional experience in planning so it's not really wasted time.

Plus how many things really change that much?

I know my life is a lot different but I have plans on projects that go back 25 or more years and they are still perfectly valid. We've even managed to get around to finishing some of those long term someday maybe projects using those plans over the last 10 years.