What to do with all ripped articles I'd like to check?

• Thread starter Sandervanderheide@mac.com
  • Start date
S

Sandervanderheide@mac.com

As a journalist and webaholic, I rip out the pages with articles I like out of magazines to check the websites referred at a covenient time.

Where do I store those articles and how do I make a next action out of it?(does every article get a next action?)

kewms

Registered
I used to do that, too. What I discovered is that there's never enough time. My "stuff to research" file was growing faster than I was making any kind of dent in it, and very little of that stuff was even remotely connected to billable projects.

Here's what I do now:

If an article is directly related to a current project, I treat it as project support materials: file it in the project file, create a next action for followup research like looking up more information online, etc. I take notes about it in my main research notebook, summarize those notes in Evernote, and capture the electronic link to the article in CiteULike (technical journals) or Furl (everything else). Once the project is complete, I file everything away together, and purge on a regular cycle. (More or less yearly.)

If an article is just interesting, but not related to a current project, I do pretty much the same thing, minus the followup Next Actions. Then I recycle the physical paper. The Evernote and Furl/CiteULike summaries let me track the original down should I ever need it again. (I treat interesting online stuff more or less the same, minus the physical paper handling.)

If an article isn't interesting enough for one of these two treatments, it isn't interesting enough to keep.

Print materials that I haven't read yet go into a To Be Read file, which I pull from whenever I have time and interest. When the file exceeds the space I've allocated to it, I go through and throw things in the recycle bin until I have more room.

Katherine

darlakbrown

Registered
Websites to Checkout List

I rip the article or page referring to the website and put it in my inbox. When I process my inbox, I'll either:

A) add the URL of the site to a list in my Someday/Maybe called Websites to Checkout (I keep the URLs in the notes area).

Websites to Check out:
www.davidco.com
www.google.com
etc.
etc.

As I check them out, I'll remove them from this list and then:

B) I'll check out the site quickly and Bookmark it or discard it if I'll never use it.

and/or

C) When I actually do visit the website and I need to save the info for future reference, I'll store it in Yojimbo (which I process at my weekly review also). Yojimbo is a similar bookmark program that allows you to archive websites (on Mac OS) and then sort the archives or bookmarks into their own categories, which I then use as Project Support Materials.

Hope that helps.