What to do with business cards

Oogiem

Registered
I set up a separate category in Contacts called "Farley File" where I store all that sort of data. I actually use it like a Farley file too That keeps it separate from my personal stuff but also keeps it under my control in an app I already use. And if/when the person changes from Farley material to a farm or personal contact I just change what group their info is in.

TesTeq

Registered
ontherun said:
You could just take a picture of it with your phone and save it to a Google Drive folder called "future contacts".

Does Google Drive OCR it? :shock:

Julie_Flagg

Registered
I have a 3 ring notebook and dividers and plastic "sheets"to hold 10 business cards- the dividers are assorted logical groups : physicians, hospital, building maintenance.
It works very nicely - simple but elegant. I f I use the contacts frequently, then they right into the iphone contact.

devon.marie

Registered
TesTeq said:
Does Google Drive OCR it? :shock:

It sure does! Though I really think Evernote is excellent for this (and for storing all digital reference files), so I'm curious if you're opposed to using it or just currently don't. If it's the latter, I would highly recommend it as its web/email clipping, data parsing and OCR are unmatched.

JohnV474

Registered
If you have access to Adobe Acrobat you can also photograph or scan cards, then convert to searchable PDF with OCR.

The simplest solution is to maintain a text file called, for example, addressbook.txt, and type the essential contact information. Enter new cards as you receive them, alphabetized or sorted however you prefer. Or, the text file could simply be a list of the people and the filename of the scanned/photographed card. This saves typing but adds time needed to retrieve.

A Dropbox folder containing the photos/scans could keep them handily backed up and available.

Then no OCR is necessary, and it's not easy for the system to fail.

TesTeq

Registered
chirmer said:
It sure does! Though I really think Evernote is excellent for this (and for storing all digital reference files), so I'm curious if you're opposed to using it or just currently don't. If it's the latter, I would highly recommend it as its web/email clipping, data parsing and OCR are unmatched.

I must check if Google OCRs in Polish.