What was your path with GTD?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I am looking at ways to further develop GTD Connect to outline a path for people learning and implementing GTD. I'd love to hear from Connect members about what your path was for getting GTD up & running. Can you please reply with how you got where you are?

For example,

1. Saw the book in an airport
2. Started reading some of it
3. Created some lists
4. Read the book again
5. Got telecoaching
6. Joined GTD Connect
etc.

Thanks!

Kelly

teri

Registered
I first heard about GTD a few years ago in a tech podcast I was listening to. They mentioned that GTD appeals to a lot of techies, which got my attention. I read the book but only partially implemented. I did a lot of collecting and created next-action lists, but I never processed in to zero and never did a weekly review. Then last summer I decided I had to do something to get things better under control, so I re-read parts of the book and got started. In fact, exactly one year ago on Saturday, I got my email inbox to zero for the first time!:D I joined Connect shortly after, knowing I was going to stick with it this time.

Teri

jeffreypheah

Registered
My path to GTD

I read about GTD in an article in Fast Company around 2001 or 2002 and went out and bought the book. I immediately started to implement most elements of the system, but everything really coalesced when I ordered and listed to Getting Things Done Fast about a year later. That seemed to bring it all together for me and I have been a full on user since then!

Barb

Registered
Long path

I go way back:

1. Bought the book at the airport
  2. Fell asleep on plane; left book on plane without reading it.
  3. Bought book again and read it (sort of)
  4. Bought GTD Fast CD's (no longer available) - it clicked!
  5. Joined Connect - click, click, click!
  6. Bought every cd product Davidco offers - more click, click, click.
  7. Got telecoaching - click, click, click!

I can't imagine ever giving up my Connect membership nor can I imagine a time that I'll ever say there's nothing more for me to learn. Whether it's picking up some new trick from a member in the Forums to hearing something in a webinar differently than I've heard it before, I think staying engaged with the material at least keeps me honest. :D

randystokes

Registered
Love Barb's answer!

Here's my path, as best as I can remember:

1. Heard about the book when it first came out
2. Rushed to bookstore and bought a copy
3. Read the thing cover to cover
4. Started making lists, arranged by context, first on paper then in Palm Desktop software
5. Didn't appreciate the value of the Weekly Review, didn't quite "get" everything
6. Signed up for David's public seminar in Dallas in 2002
7. Re-read the book and thought "Aha, now I get it" (but really hadn't yet)
8. Attended David's public seminar in Dallas in 2002 and thought "Aha, now I get it" (not yet grasshopper, but I was getting much more of it)
9. Re-read the book and listened to the Getting Things Done Fast CD set (a couple of times) and this time I really, really got it.
10. Tightened up my system, began doing Weekly Reviews pretty thoroughly -- nearly weekly.
11. Others noticed my performance and asked me to speak to various groups in our office -- admin staff, summer associates; also did some one-on-one coaching with others in my firm -- "got it" even better when I had to teach it!
12. Over time went to other public seminars offered by David and davidco staff (Focus and Vision, Roadmap, etc.), including one presented by Kelly
13. Switched all my lists, etc. to Outlook with the Outlook GTD Add-In
14. By now, I consider myself to be truly on cruise control as far as GTD goes -- black belt! (But note: even black belts get a little bit out of control from time to time -- the black belt is what gets me back in control quickly.)

Note: just because I say I'm at black belt or on cruise control doesn't mean I don't come back regularly to the Connect website or forums for inspiration, etc. But I find I don't spend very much time "tweaking" my system or looking for newer, slicker software to help me. Maybe being black belt in all this is letting go of the constant search for a new and better software app or notebook that will "do" things for me and realizing that the system I've got works well for me -- I can forget about system, software, etc. and just use the tools I have to get things done.

Probably more than you asked for, eh, Kelly?

Randy

Barb

Registered
Going to add one thing

Based on Randy's terrific answer, I want to also add that I learned not to keep looking for the "perfect system". I haven't tweaked in years (also use the GTD add-in for Outlook).

ProfessorSue

Registered
It started with my son

My son, who is more organized than I am (though as a kid that certainly wasn't so!) recommended it 2 or 3 years ago. I gradually got into the system. First, the book. Homemade labels for the 43 files didn't work for me, so eventually I bought the Davidco 43 folders, and now I look at them every day (though that was also gradual). About the same time, I bought a labeler, and that has been wonderful -- especially on the GTD folders. (Not so appealing on regular manila folders; they get grungy too soon.) I've also, for over a year, been using lots and lots of the mesh zipper bags -- one for each course I teach, one for each committee I'm on. Makes it much faster to grab what I need to run to class or a meeting. I made labels for the mesh bags with the PTouch labeler and used paper clips to attach them to the zipper pulls. (I'd suggest you folks consider upgrading the zipper pulls to make this a bit more professional.) I also now print huge font labels on regular printer paper and simply put them at the top of the pile in the mesh bags; they show through and make it very easy to find the correct bag. I've joined Connect in the last month or 2, after seeing the teaser resources available. Haven't regretted that choice at all. (It's summer, making it easier for academic types like me to devote time to system change.) I'm starting to think of many things from the 5-steps of work flow, including my refrigerator and grocery shopping. (Less waste if decisions are made earlier, to process impulse purchases at the grocery store.) I've always been pretty organized in my teaching and writing, but GTD is extending this to other areas. (This is the first year in several that I've actually filed income taxes by April 15 without getting an extension -- and I totally credit my better filing system for that!) I think one of the most important lessons for me has been realizing, from Connect members and coaching materials, that other people are also "slow learners" about this process, and that getting and keeping organized requires substantial regular investments of time. It has given me the patience to stick with it. Long way to go, but I've also come a long way. I'm feeling more relaxed, and no longer crash between crises.

cmcantwell

Registered
Read the Book, Implemented, Podcasts, Connect

Back in 2006, after 3 people had recommended that I read Getting Things Done, I finally took the hint. I think I might have read the book in one sitting [or at least that's how I remember the feeling now]. It was so thrilling to see that there was some hope.

I asked my partner to help me implement GTD. So we cleared out a weekend and set up our systems together. Back then, I was still on the Palm platform.

So we did well with the collect-process-organize piece but the weekly review was pretty weak.

I started listening to whatever free podcasts I could find related to GTD and that definitely helped me refine my systems. I also read Making It All Work as soon as it came out and that helped to refine and integrate my horizons of focus.

Finally, in February 2009, I joined Connect and I'd say that's when my practice really became black belt. It gave me the motivation and support through the webinars, videos, podcasts to start doing consistent weekly reviews and my GTD really took off.

So that's been my path so far.

sandalslawrence

Registered
1. Brother-in-law recommended the book and the labeler around 2003 (I don't think he stuck with it himself).
2. Read it but some didn't make sense to me (project planning, for instance)
3. Made tickler folders and collected everything in my dorm room (I was in seminary at the time).
4. Didn't follow through.
5. Got desperate and disorganized in 2009 and tried to re-read GTD but didn't finish it -- too busy and scattered.
7. Got personal coaching from someone who doesn't know about GTD but naturally follows a similar process. It was very helpful, but I needed even more help, esp. on decision-making (one of the toughest parts of the program for me)
8. Got diagnosed and pursued treatment for ADD (seriously! it was one of the key elements for me)
9. Re-read book cover to cover in spring 2010; purchased Implementation Guide
10. Re-collected (including some stacks of actions from 2003/2004!)
11. Found GTD Connect and joined.
12. Am watching all the initial videos and listening to audio.
13. Still trying to figure out how to do effective daily and weekly planning/review.

ekmorris

Registered
It all started when...

... at some point in 2006 or 2007 I picked up the book - I was fairly desperate because I had my comprehensive exams looming and was feeling very stuck. I remember sitting in a Starbucks and doing the 2-minute exercise David suggests - the one where you write a next action for your biggest project and see how you feel. I felt much better, implemented GTD just for that one project and it was a huge success. Then in November 2007, when I'm unexpectedly 3 months pregnant, I do a mindsweep - I'm not even sure I was thinking of it in those terms; I'd fallen off whatever wagon I was on. It was 3 yellow legal pad pages, front and back - actions, projects, you name it! - and I carried it around with me and crossed things off over the next 6 months. Worked pretty well! I'm still not 'doing' GTD at this point but getting closer to dipping my toe in. Then, last spring, I tried out Connect - still not sure why - and really liked it. I set up a system (sort of, I confess), started doing weekly reviews (not weekly, but maybe every 2 weeks), and set up a tickler and got a label maker (both of which I love). This new stage helped me navigate a 3-month stay in Vietnam. I got my husband a public seminar for Christmas - he rolled his eyes but went - and it greatly exceeded his expectations. So much so that he got me one for my birthday, sent 2 people from his company, and tagged along himself! (It was the June 18 in DC with Danny). We now have a common language, which is a huge help, and have done some project planning around a future move to another state. We even have notetaker wallets now, and use them! :)

My big challenges now: working through backlog, setting up a hybrid electronic/paper system, and collecting *everything*. I like OmniFocus OK, but I'm really a paper person, and I'm probably about 65-75% collected at this point.

This was a great exercise, Kelly - it's nice to see what progress I've made, and get a clear idea of where I want to go next. Love reading other people's stories, too!

Evelyn

rsailer

Registered
My Path

Pre - Did a fair amount with First Things First/Seven Habits - Covey.

1. Read an article about David in Fast Company (2000?).

2. Read the book. Got inspired. Cleared desk. Started filing system...

3. Attended Seminar (Marina Del Ray) with David. May 2001. REALLY energized.

4. Developed a new system with Palm and Entourage on the Mac (moved from paper). Really developed task lists and lists in notes.

5. Joined GTD connect in 2006. Audio programs really helped keep me "on the wagon."

6. Organized on-site GTD training for staff and some faculty.

7. When Omnifocus came out in 2008 to handle task lists, got it on the mac. Printed lists for mobile use.

8. When Omnifocus for iphone came out, got a iphone. List nirvana!!

9. GTD Summit 2009. Wow. A whole new level of thinking and inspiration. Met so many cool an interesting folks. Best conference I have ever been to.

Randy

Flyer

Registered
My GTD story

1. Read about in-to-empty in some blog in summer 2009.
2. Googled GTD and saw David's presentation at Google on Youtube
3. Got Connect trial and ordered the books (GTD & MIAW)
4. Continued Connect membership and listened to all possible audio material and videos.
5. Tried hard implementing, but only some things would stick: waiting for and agendas, organizing improved a lot, e-mail in was empty at least every now and then, but no real lists (wouldn´t look at them) or weekly review.
6. Signed off Connect convinced that GTD works but that I was doing it for the wrong reasons, I was totally overcommitted and no amount of GTD learning would change that.
7. Kept on with the things that did stick, tried harder and harder to get EVERYTHING done but was never happy - until I understood that only a stupid person does everything, especially when the demands for things to be done are unrealistic and impossible => FINALLY something clicked and I started to concentrate on what I WANT to do.
8. Quickly signed up for Connect again and I´m now listening to everything again, happily implementing from the start, now my lists are alive and attractive, I´m reviewing regularly, hoping this will last...
9. Will stay on Connect and/or order more audio material, for some reason I need to HEAR about this, reading doesn't do the trick.

Thanks for being there!

randystokes

Registered
One thing I forgot about in my "path to GTD": I've bought and given away untold numbers of David's first book (by now it's gotta be somewhere between 100 and 150). There's something about SHARING the knowledge with others that helps inspire and invigorate my own GTD practices.

Randy

tawaters

Registered
- I was overloaded at work trying to keep my team & projects organized so I was searching the web (while on vacation no less) for help in getting under control. If memory serves, it was the summer of 2004. Found out about GTD and bought the book.
- Spent a few weekends devouring the book in detail, underlining, taking notes, etc., then started implementing.
- Bought the whitepaper for setting up Outlook for GTD (using Tasks).
- Spent some time setting up scripts to export my @Home NA's & projects, and @Store list to a PocketMod format for offline availability.
- Joined Connect. Love the ability to download the podcasts and listen to them while I travel.

Tom

annewalsh

Registered
Path to GTD

Got the book...hated it and gave it away (sorry it's true!). Thought it was using a hammer for a hazelnut.. :(
Was involved in a start up last year...and leader mentioned using GTD add in for Firefox.
Got me curious again...and I bought another copy of the book.
And I found that it really resonated with me this time...and have been working hard to get to black belt with it. . Am good on getting inbox to zero, capturing and weekly review.
Upgraded my filing system last month (inspired by the Road to Black belt webinar)
But am not happy with my current list manager...working on tweaking that...
Am now an evangelist...:) and a member of GTD connect

annewalsh

Registered
Path to GTD

Hi Sandra
Congratulations on getting started...it is a great process and one of the most powerful and liberating things for me with GTD is that it frees my mind...I know what I've captured what I'm NOT doing.
I do the weekly review on a Friday afternoon so I start fresh on Monday. I think the review process is actually quite intuitive...you sort of know when you have to step back and go to the next level...but your level of overwhelm will go down..
I notice that you are a Reverend and maybe an interesting approach would be to ask God/Source in prayer/meditation what the next action and review should be :).
I know I am not at black belt yet..but I'm getting there and this process - in my experience - really grows your capacity for good stuff!

sandalslawrence;80599 said:
1. Brother-in-law recommended the book and the labeler around 2003 (I don't think he stuck with it himself).
2. Read it but some didn't make sense to me (project planning, for instance)
3. Made tickler folders and collected everything in my dorm room (I was in seminary at the time).
4. Didn't follow through.
5. Got desperate and disorganized in 2009 and tried to re-read GTD but didn't finish it -- too busy and scattered.
7. Got personal coaching from someone who doesn't know about GTD but naturally follows a similar process. It was very helpful, but I needed even more help, esp. on decision-making (one of the toughest parts of the program for me)
8. Got diagnosed and pursued treatment for ADD (seriously! it was one of the key elements for me)
9. Re-read book cover to cover in spring 2010; purchased Implementation Guide
10. Re-collected (including some stacks of actions from 2003/2004!)
11. Found GTD Connect and joined.
12. Am watching all the initial videos and listening to audio.
13. Still trying to figure out how to do effective daily and weekly planning/review.

askoble

Registered
my path, since you asked

1. Read LifeHacker.com post on managing email (Gina's 3-folder trick)
2. Noticed that "GTD" was mentioned there, and then started seeing it referenced all over the place in productivity discussions online.
3. Got book from Amazon, read it on a long flight (business trip).
4. Light bulb goes on in head.
5. Bought label maker, started implementing.
6. Attended "Road Map" seminar in Boston
7. Signed up for Connect.
8. Made presentation at a meeting on how GTD can help us.
9. Wrote Community Contribution; received over a dozen emails from people who liked it and had questions
10. in answering their questions, felt like I was getting a better understanding.
I'm not quite "black belt," but maybe brown. :)