What would be the best tool for GTD?

jello

Registered
Hey guys, I am currently looking into creating a tool to track our very own life goals. Like getting a life dream achieved, or just a single project.
Maybe some of you guys already use things like Trello etc., or just the good old fashioned paper! Those are a good start, but in my opinion not sufficient for it.

Do you mind answering some questions to see what this could be?

Do you currently track your goals and dreams in live?
If so, what tools do you use for that?
If not, what prevents you from doing that?
Do you think it makes sense at all to keep track of that, if so, why?
What would your ideal tool for that look like? What do you think are important features of it?

Thanks

TesTeq

Registered
jello said:
What would your ideal tool for that look like? What do you think are important features of it?

Notebook. Moleskine. Important features? Cardboard bound cover with rounded corners, acid free paper, a bookmark, an elastic closure and an optional expandable inner pocket... ;-)

bcmyers2112

Registered
I already use Evernote to manage my goals and everything else GTD-related. To persuade me to change, you'd have to offer something not only easier to use but so innovative as to really blow my mind. Just coming up with a new spin on existing technology capabilities would not be enough. It would have to be a truly disruptive technology on the order of the PC or the smartphone when those were new.

It's a very, very crowded field that you aspire to enter into. To stand out, you have to differentiate yourself in a big way. That isn't easy. I'm not saying you shouldn't try, but it's important to know the challenges you face before trying to overcome them.

Good luck.

mcogilvie

Registered
To paraphrase David Allen, the value of future planning lies in the changes you make today. Like many people, I've found that too much structure and guidance is not helpful, and may even hinder the process. Most often, I just use lists for future goals.