What you should take out from your GTD?

Lucas W.

Registered
I often find my self trying to put everything into my GTD – but of course a lot of “things” do not fit (but I am not alone – a lot of people do the same with MS Excel).

For instance there are some repetitive tasks which are nice to do but there are no obligations.

So it might be welcome to take them out from your GTD and put them on your desk.

A7 binder.jpg

You can do this task if you want and then roll the page to the next one.

I have found this tip on “Flatability” YouTube channel and it looks quite smart (you can start at 12 min 40 sec):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCSP0_BDqc&ab_channel=Flatability

I wonder if you guys had any “things” intentionally taken out from your GTD?

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I often find my self trying to put everything into my GTD – but of course a lot of “things” do not fit (but I am not alone – a lot of people do the same with MS Excel).

For instance there are some repetitive tasks which are nice to do but there are no obligations.

So it might be welcome to take them out from your GTD and put them on your desk.

View attachment 1645

I have found this tip on “Flatability” YouTube channel and it looks quite smart (you can start at 12 min 40 sec):

What comes to mind is that I use recurring lists, and sometimes I put new things on to those that I want to install as habits, especially my daily list.

Over time, those become habitual behaviour, and when I feel comfortable with that, I remove the item from the list.

gtdstudente

Registered

View attachment 1645

Lucas W.,

In regards to 'now' having a separate " . . . repetitive tasks [list(s)] . . . " one would also have a new repetitive tasks "list(s) tool" for 'attaching' any particular Next Action(s) especially perhaps a Next Action(s) that have become 'sticky' and is of desperate need of the inertia of a repetitive task list to become unstuck

Hope that makes GTD sense

Thank you very much and as you see GTD fit

Last edited:

dtj

Registered
Just because you have it in your GTD doesn't mean you have to look at it. Depending on your software, you can change the length of time between the automated review interval. Get ruthless about your Someday/Maybe list, both putting stuff into it, as well as getting rid of things that no longer fit.

mcogilvie

Registered
I try to put everything actionable which is not clearly habitual in my list tool. I put a fair amount of support information in there too, as notes attached to actions and projects. I keep my higher areas of focus in the same tool. However, I am always on the lookout for more good tools for externalizing, organizing and manipulating project support and reference information. I have some really good ones that work well together.

I’ve become very sensitive to complication and friction, so I try not to insert extra tools or steps. For example, Streaks is a great app for reminding and tracking recurring items of all types. But it takes things I need or want reminders for out of my system, and moves the focus from habits I already have to the tool. Of course, everyone’s experience is different.

cfoley

Registered
That's a really cool idea. I do a similar thing with actions that I want to do reasonably regularly but not on a schedule (eg household cleaning). I put them on checklists but I could get a similar effect with your flipboard.

Another way to think about it is a context list that lives in a different list manager from your other lists. In that way, it can very much be part of your GTD system.