What's your way of getting inspired when you're not?

sjdavis113

Registered
Hold Fast

As a Mental Health Professional, I have found there is such a healing power found in nature, using relaxation and meditation techniques, reading, and surrounding yourself with supportive people. There is absolutely no one who has ever lived life untouched by sorrow or depression. Some struggle much more than others. One thing I hear over and over again from clients I have worked with is the encouragement and hope they feel and experience when they realize they are not alone. Eleven months ago, my 25 year old son who was a police officer was tragically killed in an automobile accident. My father died three days later. Through it all, I have literally "clung" to my faith. There have been days I have struggled to just barely hold on...it was during this time this poem came to me. Thought I'd share it here and hope it brings you some kind of peace and comfort for those dark times. Stumbling across GTD a couple of months ago has been a Godsend. My faith hasn't been shaken, but I have never felt so out of control across every area of my life. I needed something simple, practicle, and doable to get my life back in order. Still working on my runway...but I know my plane is gonna fly soon. All of you in the forum have help put the wind back in my sails...thank you.

(Note: There is an Angel painting I did when I wrote this poem. The strange thing is that I'm not an artist and have never painted in my life. The file is too large to attach here but I'd be happy to send it via email for anyone who needs an Angel today.)

Truly blessed,
Stacey

Attached files image_183.doc (19.5 KB) 

Eponymous

Registered
corrallingyourstuff;46806 said:
My question is, how do you prevent yourself from getting depressed and stopping GTD when business is down

I hope this doesn't seem trite -- I definitely know how difficult even the simplest tasks can seem when paralyzed by depression -- but I find that when I'm down, my GTD system is, itself, an inspiration to keep doing GTD.

When business is bad and things seem bleak, I look at my GTD system as one of the most important tools toward improving my lot. I know that that's where I can go to set goals -- even really simple goals -- toward improving my business somehow and come up with the projects to reach those goals. For me, one of the keys to overcoming depression is getting past that sense of being overwhelmed by life, and my GTD system is one of the places for me to go and regain some sense of control over my life. Just the act of entering a business-improving goal into my GTD system makes me feel better about myself and my prospects for the future.

(This is, of course, done in conjunction with other techniques discussed in this thread like exercise, meditation, etc.)

12hourhalfday

Registered
kewms;51907 said:
In the martial arts, if you get stuck you go back to basics. The simpler techniques contain all the components in the advanced techniques, but usually in a less complex environment. If a particular move in a particular kata is giving you trouble, you can work on that move in isolation in one of the more basic kata.

In the performing and visual arts, there are fundamental exercises that you do in order to both warm up and teach your body the desired movements: fingering exercises for pianists, voice exercises for singers and actors, basic studies for painters and sculptors. If you don't practice these regularly, it becomes very difficult to improve beyond a certain point.

I think the basic disciplines of GTD are in much the same category. I know when I'm feeling overwhelmed it's very helpful to go back to the workflow diagram and force myself to stop and really think about each item in my inbox, or to methodically work through one of my context lists. Under the same circumstances, it can also be very helpful to add "fun" stuff to the lists: things that I normally do without prompting but don't feel I have time for when I'm feeling swamped. (Which could be anything from playing with the cats or taking an ice cream break to escaping to a park for the afternoon.)

Katherine
I was just searching through the forums for the word Martial and came across this Post. Thank you Katherine this is exactly what I needed for Work, GTD, and martial arts. I have been really frustrated at work lately and you are right. I need to go back to the basics.

Thanks again.