When do you read?

Borisoff

Registered
Reading is one of the most popular topics here. I believe there's no other way except for blocking out time because it assumes uninterrupted amount of high-brain time. If it were you when would you block that time? When do you usually read now?

M

misanthropic777

Afternoon into evening - I find that first thing in the morning there are too many "emergencies" and short things, whereas once the decks are a bit clearer I can sit down and do my reading with more focus.

jknecht

Registered
I carry reading material with me everywhere I go. Aside from the reading I do at home in the evening, I find I get most of my reading done while waiting to pick up carry out food or while I'm on the bus/train. It's amazing how fast I can get through a book if I read just a few pages every chance I get.

dal1mdm

Registered
Good Method

I think yours is an excellent method. Its demonstrable that reading in small batches is retained better than long hauls.

hth

Registered
dal1mdm;50767 said:
I think yours is an excellent method. Its demonstrable that reading in small batches is retained better than long hauls.

I think this is an excellent method too. I think this because it makes most usage of time.

Do you have a reference for better retaining? I never heard this.

Yours
Alexander

cornell

Registered
Depends on whether it's critical or FYI reading. For critical, put it into your system, usually as an action. Might need to be a project if it's too big for one sitting. Chunk in ways that make sense - x pages, section/chapter x, x minutes, etc.

For FYI:

o block time for reading (I'm not doing yet)
o carry a portable Read/Review folder (I do - love it)
o during exercise (a form of multi-tasking that works for me)
o evening with your significant other

W

WebR0ver

Reading for personal interest or pleasure - every moment I can squeeze it in.

Serious work-related reading - on action list, usually has a deadline in that it will be discussed, reviewed, walked through in a scheduled meeting. If you show up without an annotated copy, you are recognized as a deadbeat.

Casual work-related reading - magazines, journals - keep them in a reading "in-box". Anything a couple of issues old that hasn't been read goes in the trash. It's obsolete and anything still relevant will still be under discussion in current issues. I scan through them in late afternoon fried brain time.

Don't overlook listening to books, etc. on tape, CD or MP3 when you can't read with your eyes. I listen to books on CD when driving with no passengers.

Newspaper, online news, etc., after dinner at home.

I usually have at least two personal books going (one on CD in the car and one hardcopy at home) and sometimes more. (Most ever was 5) And I have no problem deciding at any point during a book that I've chosen to read to quit. I've stopped within 50 pages of the end realizing that I really didn't care how it ended.

If you're reading something non-fiction for yourself, don't feel like you have to read every word the author writes. In some types of books the first several chapters are explations of why you should read the book. If you've already decided that you want to learn how to jog, for example, skim or use the table of contents to start where the "how to jog" information really starts. Go for what you want to know.

ArcCaster

Registered
I do most of my 'reading' via MP3 files played in my car, including an interview with David Allen.

I look forward to trying out his podcasts.

mavakil

Registered
ArcCaster;50802 said:
I do most of my 'reading' via MP3 files played in my car, including an interview with David Allen.

I look forward to trying out his podcasts.

You'll LOVE his podcasts on Connect. I've heard every single one of them and many of them twice. His podcast interviews are great too. You'll find a collection of them here.

Picked up some sweet tips on this thread:
- Carry a read/review folder everywhere
- Any magazine that's an issue or two old, toss it without taking a guilt trip.
- be quick to ditch a book if it's not doing anything for you.

Thanks guys!

Currently I'm trying a new reading regime, since GTD has made me massively more productive, (and am way ahead of others in office) I don't feel too guilty of taking an hour off from work and spend it on updating myself. However, I've found that piecemeal reading is certainly more effective, but don't get such windows of time. :-(

TexasEx94

Registered
I read for pleasure in the evenings after dinner or at bedtime.

I don't really plan time to read business-related material. I read it as I need it. But, I do NOT read this stuff before bed or I'll never relax comfortably.