When OmniFocus isn't complicated enough...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Gardener, May 18, 2017.

1. Gardener

Gardener Registered

...there's Jira.

Yes, I know that Jira is absolutely not written for GTD. It's "aware" of Scrum and of Kanban, and other things, but as far as I can tell, not GTD.

The main reason I'm looking at Jira is for work--for a Kanban-style workflow in Jira Software for a very small but growing team that has to support a number of projects. But as I play with it, I find myself thinking of what I could do with it to support a sort of Personal GTDBan or Personal KanGTD or whatever you'd call it--a GTD implementation that ties firmly to a Kanban-style workflow and WIP limits.

Poking around, it appears that

- Jira issue types could be used for contexts.
    - Jira stories could be used for projects.
    - Jira projects could be used for areas of focus, or for "folders" in OmniFocus, or any other above-project organization that's wanted.
    - Backlog, and the way that backlog can be pulled off the Kanban board to get out it of your face, could be Someday/Maybe. I think that I could add another status, and have both Someday/Maybe and Backlog. Or I could have a Jira "project" just for Someday/Maybe.
    - The ability to make custom boards would support a lot of different cuts on the data.
    - The ability to link to Confluence could be used for project support material.
    - The Kanban board could be used for, well, kanban.
    - The Epics and Versions capabilities are very interesting. Probably no real GTD-like purpose, but, interesting.

One possible down side is that Jira is obviously intended for programmers. I've discussed the research that says that programmers have one way of making mental models and the rest of the world has another, and this is very obviously intended for the programmer view.

One up side is that you can use a demo of Jira Cloud for a month for free.

One down side is that after that, it's ten dollars a month--a lot more than you'll spend on OmniFocus. I may decide that it's worth it anyway.

Another up side is that Jira Cloud does appear to support local backups, so if you decide to flee, I think you can get your data out.

2. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Web & graphic designer, marketer
    Home Page:
    I love using Trello (another Kanban-style app) for GTD. It's my favorite implementation. Add in Butler for Trello, a bot that makes Trello 1000x more powerful, and some of Trello's new Power-Ups, and it's the most powerful platform I've found yet.

I haven't tried JIRA, but from what I hear, Trello is like JIRA lite. So I figure we're on the same page :) I honestly love having my lists displayed in Kanban style. I don't need to flip views to see the top priority tasks for each context, and once I click a card, everything else fades away in the background and the card comes into focus, allowing me to hone in on getting that one task done. I can't go back to a traditional list-style application - I feel blind.

3. Gardener

Gardener Registered

I've found, sadly, that Jira does not work at all well in mobile modes. I seem to recall that Trello does. So I'm going to try Trello again to see if it has enough of what i like in Jira.

4. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Home Page:
    Trello recently got their Calendar Power-Up working on mobile and it's great. I love the Trello mobile app - it's professional and powerful with a bit of whimsy, making it fun. Make sure to look into Butler https://butlerfortrello.com - it makes Trello incredibly powerful. I use it to set start dates, automatically move and format cards, etc.

5. sesteph6

sesteph6 Registered

Chirmer Have you abandoned Evernote totally? Or still using for reference.

Also, using Trello for waiting for email?

6. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Home Page:
    Apologies, @sesteph6 - I didn’t see this message! I still live and die by Evernote as file reference, but I do not use it for task management. That is 100% Trello at this point.

I actually use both Trello and Gmail for my Waiting For emails, if I’m just waiting for a reply. I’ll use the Trello Chrome extension to add a placeholder card to my Waiting For list, and I use a label in Gmail titled Awaiting Reply that then sorts the email to its own section of my inbox, like so:

[​IMG]

By sorting them into this specific section of my inbox, I’m able to see immediately when I get a reply (because it will update the “Awaiting Reply” section to signify there’s a new email in there) as opposed to only checking once per week or trying to remember that, when I receive the email, it was one I was waiting for.