when the next action is budget

Ambar

Registered
So I have some projects I'm not sure to handle, where the next action verb is "budget":

budget $1200 for fence work
budget $200 for trailer maintenance

I have previously tried setting these as Waiting For (waiting for $x amount of money), but that wasn't helpful. I have also used a context called @money, where I dropped things that were waiting for money to come available, then reviewed that context when doing bills and monthly budgeting. I could put them on Someday/Maybe, but that's where I park things I'm not committed to do, which isn't right for these items.

Anyone want to share what works for them with these things?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi Ambar,

So it's really about saving (if I'm understanding correctly), yes?

If so, I think what I would do is tie the action of budget/save to where/when that would happen--like when my paycheck lands. So I'd likely have a checklist for things to consider savings for or tickler item on the day my direct deposit goes in to set aside money for the fence work.

Does that help?

Ambar

Registered
I think the tickler to review the @money context on payday makes the most sense to me. I don't want to bury them in a checklist, because these are gating items on active projects. A checklist feels more like Someday/Maybe, because there's no nudge to review it regularly. I do want these to be NAs for technical reasons relating to the way Omnifocus handles projects and actions.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
kelstarrising;90868 said:
If so, I think what I would do is tie the action of budget/save to where/when that would happen--like when my paycheck lands. So I'd likely have a checklist for things to consider savings for or tickler item on the day my direct deposit goes in to set aside money for the fence work.

I thought the same thing. And the NA for the project would then be @waiting for: paycheck day. Or you could have a sub-section in Someday-maybe called 'paycheck day' for those projects that you cannot bring forward until that day.

Suelin23

Registered
I have an excel spreadsheet for my budget. One sheet is a forecasting page, where I put all the year's expected expenditure - bills, projects, etc. So if I'm out and about and have a thought that I really need to spend $500 on a new garden project, I'll put in my task manager (which is on my iPhone) "Add garden project $500 to budget" in the @home context. Then when I'm at home I'll put that project in my Excel budget, and take it off my next actions list. I don't store budget items there.

pinkmouse

Registered
when the next action is "budget

I guess my question is what does "budget" mean to you? In other words, if that's your next action, what does doing it look like? Do you mean, "Sit down and make a plan to come up with the money?" or do you mean "Remember to put aside X amount from each paycheck for Y number of weeks/months to pay for fence work?"
The first would go on a next actions list; maybe @HOME OR @DESK.
The second would go on a calendar on as many paydays as needed to afford the expenditure.
FWIW I do use a context called @MONEY on my Outlook calendar and I enter any payments that must be made on specific days as all day events.(In other words, not time specific) It's color coded green, and it gives me the peace of mind that I won't forget to pay something.
If you really are just waiting until the money is available, and don't have the means to plan it out, (i.e. you have unpredictable income) then I think you're on target with a WAITING FOR FUNDS list.
Hope that helps you.
Laura

ellobogrande

Registered
Budgeting or raising funds for a project is a sub-project in itself. What's the first action that you have about that? Setting up automatic payroll deductions to your savings account (that could be a sub-project, too)? Opening a savings account (@Errands or maybe @Computer)? Brainstorming ways to raise funds for the project (@Anywhere)?

Get it down to the next physical action you can take or the project will languish.

Mike L

Registered
My take is when you say "budget $1200 for fence work" budget isn't a next action verb.

If it was me I'd set up a project "fence work", and the next action would be on a per-paycheck basis to "set aside money for fence". When you do your weekly review of projects you'll see how close you are to your goal and have a chance to reflect on what you might give up to get it done sooner, or what you might prefer to spend money on instead and push it out a bit. You can then capture these thoughts in the ""set aside money for fence" action item, on any given paycheck adjusting your customary savings amount.

arviescoot

Registered
It's better to save your money first @ fence work..and go for per-paycheck basis to keep your money to fence.When you do your weekly review of projects you'll see how close you are to your goal and have a chance to reflect on what you might give up to get it done sooner...