Where Do Larger Goals Live?

Amanda

Registered
Where do larger goals that are not active projects live? I don't mean things that are on a Someday List (at least I don't think that's where they would go). For example, one of my goals is to support a consciousness shift that would help make the military unnecessary. That's obviously a pretty big goal... Where do I put that in my system?

Thanks!

mcogilvie

Registered
Where do larger goals that are not active projects live? I don't mean things that are on a Someday List (at least I don't think that's where they would go). For example, one of my goals is to support a consciousness shift that would help make the military unnecessary. That's obviously a pretty big goal... Where do I put that in my system?

Thanks!

David Allen suggest a loose hierarchy:
Next Actions
Projects
Areas of Focus
1-2 Year Goals
3-5 Year Goals
Life Goals

I'm guessing making the military unnecessary is probably a life goal. That might drive something as simple as contributing to an organization aligned with that goal (next action) or as complex as getting an advanced degree in international law (say a 3-5 year goal). Everything goes on a list, to be reviewed as often as it needs to, but at least yearly for life goals.

Gardener

Registered
I think that the goal would be fine on the Someday list or a Life Goal. Or you might have a "Supporting societal change" Area of Focus, and you might make a point of always having a project or two related to it.

Castanea_d.

Registered
One of the ways in which Mr. Allen talks about this sort of thing is his analogy to being in an airplane: sitting on the runway (next actions), 10,000 feet, 20,000 feet, etc., and how the world looks different at these various altitudes. It corresponds to what mcogilvie mentioned above.
What you're describing sounds like a higher-level "altitude":
40,000 feet - long-term vision (such as the consciousness shift)
50,000 feet - life purposes and core values

As Gardener wrote, how this works out in practice is that your higher-level vision and purposes inform your lower-level work, all the way down to Next Actions. It reminds you to always be looking for ways to nudge the world in the direction it should go. As Allen says somewhere, we must ask the question "Is it actionable?" A vision does little good unless there are "lower level" things like projects and actions that are part of fulfilling the vision.

I think he suggests writing such visions/purposes down, perhaps in a checklist that you look at from time to time - I have a text file, with a TBD reminder to prompt me to look at it every quarter. Or you could put some of it on your wall; I have some of that in my office, as well, reminding me of why I am here.

I like Allen's discussion of the "levels" in his other book, "Making it all work," where he goes a bit more into this than he does in "Getting Things Done."

[Edited 4/28/17 to add: The connection between vision/purpose and the day-to-day work of next actions and projects is the weekly review. As part of the review, we should spend some time considering how/whether our work of the past week is in accord with our higher-level purposes, making adjustments accordingly.]

Last edited: