Where to put upcoming train tickets?

timjamesbrennan

Registered
I have on my desk an envelope with some train tickets for an upcoming holiday, but I can't process it. If i create a folder in my a-z reference called "Train Tickets" I just think that I won't recall where I put them when I want them.

I could put a reminder on my calender to let me know where to look, but there's a chance I will need them and won't think to look on the calender.

This might be because sometimes I go for 2-3 days without looking at my calender - or maybe it's something else?

Any tips?

Maurice

Registered
I recommend to research the solution that is called "Tickler" aka "43 folders".
A bit heavy when used onlyfor train tickets, but very likely you will see the advantage of the tickler for other purposes to (I use this also for prepared information for meetings, reminders on certain actions, reminders on motivational quotes to tickle me, etc).

Oogiem

Registered
Tickler File

That is exactly the sort of thing that I put in my tickler file. But you have to remember to look at it daily. I have a 1-31 plus the months sorter and the tickets would go into the month where I will use them or the day before I need them if it is this month.

Until I got the habit of checking my tickler file I created a next action in Omnifocus that repeated every day that said Check tickler file. Now I do it automatically so I don't bother to use the OF reminder anymore.

Maurice

Registered
In my consultancy days I didn't check my tickler every day, but I used an additional system to get me though the week (weekly review and preparation of the next week(s) every friday).
It looked something simular like this: http://discountoffice.nl/shop/p/d/catalogus-sorteermap-leitz-vivanto-6tabs-blauw/
but had tabs with closed sides, so nothing could fall out it (the shop I ordered this no longer carries this product, and I do not know the exact name).
I labelled the tabs as following:
- inbox, for indeed everything I gathered during the week
- Read/review
- Actions support, to carry support materials for on the road
- a tab for every day of the week, as a portable tickler for the next five workdays.
I also tossed my note block and pen in it, and since the folder was made from plastic, it was quite sturdy. We were inseperable ;)

chipjoyce

Registered
Where to keep train tickets

I travel frequently and simply have a "Travel" folder and keep all ticket and itineraries in it--even trips that are a few months out. I simply know to bring that folder with me on all trips. When I'm done with a trip, I throw out the items I no longer need.

LordCope

Registered
This is exactly the sort of things for which the Tickler is a good tool. I personally never got on with a physical tickler, as I spend a lot of time out and about, so instead I have a google calendar called 'tickler' and I place all day meetings with alerts on the day. Obviously I can't file my physical tickets in there though, but I can have it trigger a reminder to look at my Travel checklist... which will include: Gather tickets.

Tickets I would file under Travel.

If I were travelling a lot, and couldn't be certain that I'd have access to the Travel folder when the alert went off, I'd keep it in my travelling office. This is a large, solid plastic PolyCase, which contains a plastic inbox folder, a receipts folder, some read/review material and a Project Support folder. I could either put the travel folder in here, or, more likely, I'd keep the tickets in the project support folder, and update the reminder in the Tickler calendar.

S.

Nutrition Dude

Registered
I dont have a physical tickler system because I dont have enough physical material to justify the space of one.

However, we have a family planner calendar
61FtBuYqF1L._SS500_.jpg

And we put the few tickets and family reminders in there. Last year all the pre-booked days out and event tickets went in and it worked well.

Because we dont have next years up the tickets I have bought for a play next year are stuck in the frame of the mirror in the kitchen where they wont get lost until the new planner arrives.

The calendar is in the kitchen as well as that, like most houses, is the working hub of the place!

Jamie Elis

Registered
Project folder or,not really GTD a "dated items box" or "take out box".

When I travel, I usually have the trip listed as an active project and hence it has a folder with a name and a date such as Tuscon 2009: JE (me) and name of anyone who is traveling with me and purpose, such as vacation, furniture mart, pick up puppy, whatever. I would have that folder in my active drawer, probably until I packed my bag or if I had the bag out a few days in advance, I might put it in it. I would probably also have in the folder maps, brochures, addresses, maybe even some postage stamps, and if I was focused enough, a photocopy of my credit cards and anything else I can fit on the flat bed copier, like my license, and the tickets themselves or paper itinerary/e-ticket. and you are disciplined enough to use it

I also have a checklist for the trip in my palm and a copy printed out in the folder, as I may have physically marked on it things like the day I requested the mail be held.

If the trip was routine with no additional papers going with me, I would put the tickets in my wallet if it was within a week or ten days but if the trip was far off in future they would go in my mini-holder that is one little hanging box for all things with a date that are singletons such as theatre tickets, opera schedule, invitations I have accepted, movie passes, dated coupons. There are just not enough of these to justify the tickler and some of them have more than one date as an option, so for example, the opera tickets are applicable to one of three performances, up to a certain date. I have the date for that on my calendar. This only works if there is not a lot of stuff in it and is in the category of "knowing where to look for something".

One other place to put the tickets is in a "take out box", a box or tray for stuff you have to take with you regularly and/or at some definite point. This is an open tray (like an in-box) for outgoing mail, shopping list, parking meter coins, bus tokens, etc. I know someone who puts his keys in this tray when he comes home, along with ID badge for work, next to it is the master bottle of hand sanitizer for refilling the pocket size bottle, and new lip balms and he also leaves his phone to charge there. He gathers his stuff from this tray and checks it when he leaves for anything. Again, this only works if there is not a lot of stuff in it and you do not use it as a catch all.

Julian

Registered
Tickets and travel docs go in 1 of 3 places

1. Event or concert ticket - vertical file in common area of home with 31 slots. Also handy for mailing things on a specific day etc. Old Levenger product. Tickler would serve the same purpose.

2. Physical travel tickets (plane, train): I make one special manilla folder for each trip, labelled with trip name (and usually date). "Special" because it is stapled on one of the short edges + 1 staple at end of adjoining long edge to keep receipts etc. from falling out. (Especially useful if you have a vertical-style laptop briefcase/backpack. I can't believe how many years of loose receipts it took to think of this trick.) Tickets go in there. Receipts get added as I go. Manilla is better than plastic. Can write details on folder if needed. Keep folder with expense processing stuff while using a new folder for the next trip.

3. E-tickets: Every trip gets a new e-folder on my laptop. PDFs of travel receipts, maps, key emails, get stored in that folder. Easy to find details again while on the road, can easily copy folder contents to USB stick if needed, and can find trip details at later date. Usually print PDF of boarding pass to this folder as well, in case I need a backup.

Maurice

Registered
Julian;83706 said:
3. E-tickets: Every trip gets a new e-folder on my laptop. PDFs of travel receipts, maps, key emails, get stored in that folder. Easy to find details again while on the road, can easily copy folder contents to USB stick if needed, and can find trip details at later date. Usually print PDF of boarding pass to this folder as well, in case I need a backup.
I would place these in a dropbox folder, so you always have a backup, accessible by web interface on any computer/smartphone with internet access. Saves the hassle with manual backups.

Myriam

Registered
monthly tickler file instead of daily if you don't have a lot to put in there

Nutrition Dude;83671 said:
I dont have a physical tickler system because I dont have enough physical material to justify the space of one.

Same here, so I adapted the tickler principle a little. I only have the monthly files, not the daily. So my tickler is basically just a set of 12 plastic punch holed little maps (all together in 1 file). One for each month. And I almost only use it to keep train tickets, theater tickets and that type of stuff. For any given month I never have more than 5 items in it. Works fine for me...

Myriam

Maurice

Registered
Portable week tickler

I just found the portable tickler I used to use.
It has 12 compartments, of which I dedicated 5 to working day ticklers, the rest for other purposes.

documentenmap_A4,_zwart-14824912-Big.jpg

The front cover insert can be changed by any A4 of your preference (I used company logo, my name and my function).

Like Myriam, you can also use the 12 compartments for the 12 months.

johnaohman

Registered
SMS Reminder

Put the physical tickets wherever you decide to keep such items in your system - obviously a number of folks have suggested different ideas from the physical tickler file to the travel file, etc.

But I would suggest a supplemental reminder via text message. You can set it up in advance for free at:

www.ohdontforget.com

Not connected with them at all, just a satisfied user - and the basic functionality is free.

dschaffner

Registered
I would place them in a file, note the name of the file, and then reference that file name in the notes field of an appointment on my calendar.