which labelmaker to buy?

alainr

Registered
I want to get a label maker machine.
I see that there are 2 types--a handheld and a label printer that wld connect to my mac.
Which type do you recommend? one that connects to a mac? or a handheld?
brother? epson? dymo?

I want one that is easy to use and can print a large font for file folder labels.
any recommendations?

I tried one brother but it did not print large.

Are the ones that connect to the mac and you type in word easier to use?--like the dymo labelwriter/printer 450?

thks!

karrie

Registered
We have a brother at work, takes a bit of playing with to get the font size you want, but I use it for all my work folders.
A friend bought my a dymo handheld at a sale for $2. I use it at home, purchased both clear and white label cartridges at Walmart.
Also use my computer to print labels onto standard address labels made by Avery.
Having said all that, there are probably really cool options that hook to your computer, but I like my options for now.

Have fun!

cfoley

Registered
What is to be gained by having a labeller connected to your computer?

You won't be able to label something quickly while your computer is starting up.
You will have to wake it from hibernation to label stuff while you're not doing PC work.
You will have to install it on another computer when yours is away for repair.
The labeller window will obscure your other windows when you are using it.
You can't take the labeller temporarily into the filing room with you.
You will be tied even further to a single brand of computer.
Your computer becomes even closer to a single point of failure for you.

Maybe these are all minor cons but I can't see any pros at all.

vbampton

Administrator
alainr;96352 said:
Are the ones that connect to the mac and you type in word easier to use?

I've got the Dymo PnP http://global.dymo.com/enAU/Products/LabelManager_PnP.html

Why? I'm quicker typing on a proper keyboard, I can copy/paste text directly to a label, and my computer's always on and it's 4 feet from my filing cabinet. It's cross-platform, and the software is stored in the labeler's memory, so it doesn't matter which computer I'm using.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with having a labelmaker hooked up to your computer if it suits your workflow.

On the other hand, if you're likely to want to label stuff when you're away from your computer, your computer is sometimes turned off, or you don't touch type, then a handheld may be a better bet.

Tom.9

Registered
all in one

I have the brother p touch 18R
which is usable both connected to my PC and offline thanks to the qwertz-keyboard.
very useful
it prints up to 18mm tape

don´t know if it works with a Mac, though

mthar1

Registered
cfoley;96361 said:
What is to be gained by having a labeller connected to your computer?

You won't be able to label something quickly while your computer is starting up.
You will have to wake it from hibernation to label stuff while you're not doing PC work.
You will have to install it on another computer when yours is away for repair.
The labeller window will obscure your other windows when you are using it.
You can't take the labeller temporarily into the filing room with you.
You will be tied even further to a single brand of computer.
Your computer becomes even closer to a single point of failure for you.

Maybe these are all minor cons but I can't see any pros at all.

I certainly agree on all those points and personally don't have my labeller connected to my mac.

Browsing around for labellers I did however notice a few models that can be used as both with and without a computer connection. That could be a way to get the best of both worlds.

cfoley

Registered
That sound like a nice compromise. I take the points about being able to type faster on a proper keyboard.

I actually use sticky labels and a ballpoint pen to do my labelling. A proper labeller is one of the few pieces of advice that I ignored from the GTD book. It seems unnecessary to me but I've been wondering if there is something subtle I am missing out on.

DenaDahilig

Registered
cfoley;96380 said:
A proper labeller is one of the few pieces of advice that I ignored from the GTD book. It seems unnecessary to me but I've been wondering if there is something subtle I am missing out on.

I did too, until I married a guy with a labeler. That wasn't why I married him, but we'll call it a bonus!

I would have sworn to you that I had very neat handwriting and that my files were very well organized and functioned just fine, etc, etc. But there's something inexplicable about having uniform labels that changes how I view my system as a whole. I would suggest trying it out on all of your newly created files for awhile and see how it feels. I'd be curious to know what you thought afterwards.

Dena

Oogiem

Registered
cfoley;96380 said:
It seems unnecessary to me but I've been wondering if there is something subtle I am missing out on.

I didn't think I needed a labeler either but it really makes a difference in how I handle files.

FWIW I have a Brother P-Touch PT-1280 selected so I can take it to other buildings to use and because the tape for it is available at Sam's Club cheaply.

bishblaize

Registered
I would (and did) go for a portable one, just for simplicity. Label writers you plug in are better for more complex tasks, but I had no need.

willbetoned

Registered
Same question - which to buy?

I also have been avoiding the label maker - having thought of all the things I've purchased over the years that were going to help me get organized that ended up gathering dust and finally being given away.

But I am barely starting at GTD and I have purged SO much paper and general piles of "stuff" that I am breaking down and just went down to Staples (Canada) to look at the label makers. Label makers seem to be a weird little world onto themselves. THe staff seem not to know much about them and I had originally just gone in with Dave Allen's suggestion to get the cheapest Brother model that came with an adapter so I wouldn't have to worry about batteries.

Well the cheapest one - because it is on sale was the PT-2030AD ($40). And frankly - it looked HUGE to me. Of course the clerk did know enough to to tell me that it was a shame I missed LAST week's sale - when the smaller desktop models were on sale.

I had my eye on a very small, inauspicious Dymo Labelmanager Plug and Play (PnP) with has no keyboard but with would connect to my Mac (regular price - $80). It was SO small and now that I can finally see the so much of the surface of my desk - it seemed more appealing than dropping something that looked like a small typewriter on my newly recovered desk. (It's a big desk, it' just been buried for years!)

The Staples staff was really no help - so I decided to go home and see if I could figure out which one I wanted by browsing online. I found at least a couple people who absolutely hated both of the above models - the Net seemed to point at one even bigger than the "cheapest" one mentioned above - the Brother PT-2730 (regularly $120 - on sale this week for $80). Among other things, it will connect to my Mac and work stand-alone.

Of course several people hate that one too - is there anything that SOMEONE doesn't hate??

I really don't want to buy ANYTHING right now that will end up being unused clutter.

So I am watching this discussion thread carefully. Hoping to take the plunge before the sale ends Wednesday. The day is really arbitrary - I just want to get off the fence with the label maker thing - any advice would be appreciated :)

Wishing good luck to anyone else considering buying one of these odd little machines.

Oogiem

Registered
The ones that look lie typewriters are actually easier to use IMO. I hate the hand held ones, they are all designed for people with much larger hands and the kind where you have to twist the dial for each letter are way too slow. Filing has to be fast and easy for me or it won't get done.

Personally I'd go back and get one of the desktop ones with an adapter and ideally also running on batteries for those situations where you need it. Also be sure you purchase one whose tape supplies can be purchased either on-line or at a local store easily.

willbetoned

Registered
Are you happy with your label maker?

vbampton;96372 said:

Still trying to figure out which one to buy.

Are you happy with this model? It looks nice, is small, tidy.

PC Magazine complained that it didn't print labels wider than 1/2 inch.

Never having printed a label, I have no idea whether this should be a consideration.

DO people out there regularly print labels wider than 1/2 inch?

vbampton

Administrator
willbetoned;96538 said:
Are you happy with this model? It looks nice, is small, tidy.

Yeah, very happy with it. I don't have a point of comparison, but I certainly haven't found a need for wider labels.

My only suggestion would be to get a labellor with a properly laid out keyboard. QWERTY. Mine is laid out ABCDEFG etc. very annoying and I never get used to it.

ksonnenb

Registered
Love my Brother P-Touch

I have two labellers:

1) @Work: PT-1230PC - it doesn't have a keyboard but since my office computer is always on it's really easy and quick to create nice looking labels.
2) @Home: Brother PT-1750 - older model but this one has a QWERTY keyboard and is really quick at creating labels without a computer.

I agree that having an integrated keyboard is a really good feature to have - if you can find a reasonably priced one that has a keyboard and PC/MAC connection that is the best solution.

My only complaint it that the Brother TZ tape tends to be fairly expensive here in Canada - so I stock up when I visit the US.