Which software would be best for me?

gr8ful2GTD

Registered
I'm planning to start with a paper system but I know that something digital will work better for me and want to see what my best options would be. At work I have to have my calendar available in Outlook for my team members to see. My laptop at work is a PC but I use a Mac at home and I just got the new iPhone (still learning the features). Is there something that will work seamlessly between all of that? I spend most of my time in front of my work computer or on the road with the iPhone if that matters.

ceperry

Registered
I prefer to keep action lists separate from calendar items, so one way you could do it would be to synchronize your Outlook calendar with Google Calendar, and sync calendar items (and contacts if you want) from Google to your iPhone.

This frees you to choose the list service/app that suits you best. I prefer to have my next actions online (for reference & a safety net in case my iPhone goes belly up) so I use Toodledo. Toodledo will then sync to you iPhone using an iPhone app like Action Lists (self link: http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists), Appigo ToDo, or Toodledo's own iPhone app. Choosing a list manager is a matter of personal preference, so I'd look at all three before making a decision.

Good luck choosing!

unstuffed

Registered
You might consider Remember The Milk - simple lists with tags, syncs with everything under the sun, and ridiculously easy to use.

And free (unless you want the special features). Hard to argue with that. :-D

randomwalk

Registered
What I am learning is that there isn't a perfect solution. OmniFocus is about as close as it gets, but it isn't web based. I am leaning towards using OmniFocus on the Mac and iPhone.

I agree with ceperry, keep the two separate and sync the Calendars. I have my iPhone Calendar and my iCal synced to Google's calendar so I have 3 options to view my calendar at anytime. Online using a Windows computer at work. At home on the Mac, and on the iPhone on the go.

Now if someone would just create the same setup above for the lists management. At one point you could sync OmniFocus to Toodledo, but the problem with Toodledo (for me at least) is it the lack of the inbox and true project category.

ScottL

Registered
randomwalk;69164 said:
What I am learning is that there isn't a perfect solution. OmniFocus is about as close as it gets, but it isn't web based. I am leaning towards using OmniFocus on the Mac and iPhone.

I agree with ceperry, keep the two separate and sync the Calendars. I have my iPhone Calendar and my iCal synced to Google's calendar so I have 3 options to view my calendar at anytime. Online using a Windows computer at work. At home on the Mac, and on the iPhone on the go.

Now if someone would just create the same setup above for the lists management. At one point you could sync OmniFocus to Toodledo, but the problem with Toodledo (for me at least) is it the lack of the inbox and true project category.

If you need all the features of Omnifocus go ahead, but Things is super simple and may be enough depending on your needs. Things does have an inbox and categories. I've just recently bought an iMac and Iphone and use the built in calendar with Things and it works well and is very easy to use, quick to enter new items, etc. This also only works with the mac and Iphone. Wireless synching between iMac and iPhone is easy as well.