Who has the lightest GTD setup including idea capturing device and cell phone?

BillyIdol

Registered
Hey!

I rarely carried around my compact sized Franklin Covey planner because it was just too big and heavy. I'm thinking the my lightest, most portable set up would be a Palm Treo with a voice recorder (idea capturing device). Or I could go with a real small Moleskine notebook (with small ink pen) with a digital voice recorder with a super small flip cell phone. I'm leaning towards the Palm Treo. Just a bit bigger than my old flip phone, plus I have internet, voice recorder, telephone/address list, and access to all my lists. I could do a PocketMod for ultralight excursions away from the phone or Moleskine.

What is your idea of the ultralight GTD set up with voice recorder and cellphone?

John

Andre Kibbe

Registered
I use a Palm Centro and Notetaker Wallet. I'd much rather collect on paper in most cases. In the car, I use a separate Panasonic voice recorder for two reasons: I may need to capture something while on the phone, and I don't like the press-and-hold activation on the voice recorders bundled on Palm phones. I like recording to start the instant my thumb lands on the button.

The voice recorder stays in the car since I capture on paper when elsewhere. As a rule, I process what I collect on the recorder before allowing myself to leave the car.

dschaffner

Registered
BillyIdol;61177 said:
What is your idea of the ultralight GTD set up with voice recorder and cellphone?

Treo 650, with Jott, (I hate the voice recorder on my treo) plus fisher spacepen plus pockmod paper. If I want to ultralight it's just pocketmod plus spacepen.

- Don

darrenroesch

Registered
iphone

I use an iPhone. It has a Jott application, or I prefer omnifocus. Omnifocus also has a voice recording feature. You can also use Evernote on the iPhone for things like reference material and someday maybe lists (you can input photos, text, or voice).

It all works pretty well. Every once in a while I have a craving to go to paper. Not sure why. But it's always the fact that it's so hard to carry around that makes me realize I already have a great system.

graphicdetails

Registered
Treo 650 and in my wallet I carry a small notebook (regular 3"x5" notebook) and a Fisher Space Pen.

I don't have the wallet from this site ($79 for a wallet! :shock: )

Just go to Sears or JC Penney or Walmart for goodness sake. They have TONS of different styles of wallets that will hold small notebooks. And the notebooks are only $.79 at Walmart. The Space Pen is about $30 if I remember correctly.

Borisoff

Registered
I have Treo 750 (Windows Mobile) only. It has integrated recording feature that alllows me to capture while drinving and I use stylus to put in any new ideas into Notes section in "drawing" mode (so I just write as on paper). Plus Calendar, Tasks, etc...

mcogilvie

Registered
BillyIdol;61177 said:

I have an iPhone and the DA Notetaker wallet. On the iPhone, I use iCal, Contacts, Appigo Todo, Appigo Notebook, and Jott. None of these require an active net connection, but all sync wirelessly to the web.

darlakbrown

Registered
darrenroesch;61231 said:
I use an iPhone. It has a Jott application, or I prefer omnifocus. Omnifocus also has a voice recording feature. You can also use Evernote on the iPhone for things like reference material and someday maybe lists (you can input photos, text, or voice).

It all works pretty well. Every once in a while I have a craving to go to paper. Not sure why. But it's always the fact that it's so hard to carry around that makes me realize I already have a great system.

Me, too! I have the same set-up. I print out my daily calendar each morning. That seems to satisfy my paper urge. I do a quick mindmap on my daily ical printout, too. OH, I carry a Moleskine notebook into meetings (not the laptop, since that's sometimes not acceptable.)

Liz_Harward

Registered
New wallets

graphicdetails;61237 said:
Treo 650 and in my wallet I carry a small notebook (regular 3"x5" notebook) and a Fisher Space Pen.

I don't have the wallet from this site ($79 for a wallet! :shock: )

Just go to Sears or JC Penney or Walmart for goodness sake. They have TONS of different styles of wallets that will hold small notebooks. And the notebooks are only $.79 at Walmart. The Space Pen is about $30 if I remember correctly.

Hi, I saw your note about the wallets and pricing, just wanted to let you know we now have a ballistics cloth wallet option at a much more reasonable price, they will last for years and it comes with a nice pen and three paper pads. We are expanding our line and offering product at various price points, it is great to have a beautiful leather wallet but not everyone wants that! I have new nylon folios coming also in a few weeks.

Our new wallets are well made (very high quality) and a great capture tool. Not a commercial here so much as letting you know we are listening, they are selling well already.

BUT as we are not a big chain (one benefit!) if anyone reading this sends me an email with a photo of their old wallet (any brand) I will send you a new ballistics cloth wallet for FREE! I can be a bit creative and do some contests for folks on the forum. (Anyone out there need a new wallet?) I would really appreciate feedback too - I like them a lot but I don't have much feedback yet on these. They are exactly the same design as our NoteTaker wallets currently in the store. The first email with a photo I can open (.jpg) gets a new wallet- International or US is fine. Thanks for engaging with me!

Liz_Harward

Registered
Winner of a new Wallet!

Hi all,

I have a winner for the ballistics wallet, thanks all for sending me your photos, as always it leads to rich discussion and more ideas for neat capture tools. Thanks so much for the emails. I will be sending out a new wallet to .....TesTeq, he was the first one to respond.

TesTeq

Registered
GTD & Nokia E71.

It's the GTD methodology that allowed me to win this contest (with a little help of my Nokia E71 smartphone)! Thank you very much.