Workflow Processing using Microsoft Outlook

M

mreynolds

Wow! I downloaded DA's paper on implementing workflow processing using Microsoft Outlook. On an earlier post today I commented on how I like my paper planner. That is I like writing stuff in pencil but I really don't like managing lists in my planner. After seeing the description of this implementation I figured it was worth the $30 to see if would work better than what I'm doing.

And what a productive day I had. The step by step directions in the paper were almost foolproof. I only stumbled once during the calendar view setup but once I tried a few things I managed to get it.

I spent the day and evening setting up my lists, projects, next actions, etc. and I'm ready for a new day tomorrow. My inbox is full at 9:50 pm so I'm going to pretend that I filled it for tomorrow morning and I'll take a fresh run at it with the goal to having it empty by day's end tomorrow.

Thank you David for writing such a practical help book for those of us who haven't studied Outlook in depth nor had the time necessary to devote to studying it. It was very helpful and I actually feel I stand a chance at sticking with Outlook for my workflow processing.

You're a genius!

Mavis

A

Anonymous

outlook

i use bonsai but outlook for emai/calender - is the add in useful to me?

PS
anyone know when bonsai will be able to link to calender on the desktop

M

mreynolds

The workbook is a different approach to Outlook. It's not the 'add in'. I bought the step by step approach to setting up Outlook with categories and tasks.

I've never heard of Bonsai. I should google it and find out more.

Mavis

A

Anonymous

Mavis,

I thought about getting the White Papers myself but just haven't done so. Seems like you're having success. How long did it take to set everything up? Is it pretty easy to handle thereafter as far as inputting, creating and deleting new categories and "tasks"??

JoJo

M

mreynolds

Hi JoJo,

I would say it took me less than 6 hours to set up and it was worth every penny of the $30!! I don't usually second-guess software designers. I usually use the programs as they come. What David does in this white paper is use Outlook the way Windows DIDN'T design it to be used and it's brilliant. I just didn't have time to 'think outside the microsoft box' on how to use it with GTD. Thankfully, David spent the time for us!

The biggest change for me was that I was using CATEGORIES for project names instead of the @OFFICE, @COMPUTER, etc. titles. It really is a different approach to outlook and I would recommend getting the white paper if you seriously want to use Outlook for your implementation of GTD.

Let me know how it goes.

Mavis

A

Anonymous

As you have it now, how quick and painless is it to create a Category (ie, @Home)? Right now I'm using Palm Memos. I thought I read on another post that a bunch of code has to be inputted when creating or adding to separate categories. Is this the case? Basically I'm trying to find out if I can go to my @Home category, point, click and start filling in items that need to be done (just like I can with Memos). Is it that simple or is there more to inputting the information?

M

mreynolds

I'm using Outlook on my desktop PC, not a palm. On the desktop version of Outlook it's as easy as typing in a field. No problem at all.

Mavis

A

Anonymous

Palm categories

You do not need to write any code to change categories in the Palm. I think I read that somewhere too and it's patently false. Just tap on the category name in the upper right corner and select "Ediot Categories." Then you can add whatever categories you want up to 15.

A

Anonymous

I downloaded DA's white paper about a year and a half ago, and I too think it is a brilliant way to configure Outlook.

I revisited it a few months ago, to see how far I had strayed -- Not too far!

You can use as many catgegories as you want if you sync with Key Suite- but that's why I "strayed". Many categories are not necessarily the right way to go. Simplicity combined with focus would mean less than 15 categories, for most people.

Stephen

M

mreynolds

When using Outlook which view do you use when scanning for a next action?

I'm finding that in the Calendar view I don't see the whole landscape of tasks but I do see my set in stone appointments and blank spots which is good for scheduling blocks of time to accomplish work. I really like the Task view because I've got my tasks broken down into the categories and can see them as groups but of course I can't see the appointments in that view.

Just curious what others do.

Mavis

A

Anonymous

I switch between Calendar and Task windows (I know-- I can have both open at once :D ).

My !Today category always rises to the top, so even in Calendar view, these timely tasks are visible, and real handy to act on or drag into the calendar.

I find myself switching back and forth between windows - Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Email - and the nice thing about Outlook- they are all connected.

Stephen

plaid

Registered
Workflow Processing now only $10

I haven't seen this mentioned here yet. A couple of months ago I was trying to decide if I could afford the outlook pdf document, but $30 converted into canadian $ was just too expensive. I happened to look on Davidco's site yesturday and saw that the price for downloading the pdf has been reduced to $10. I purchased it immediately. I knew most of the stuff already from reading other people's setups over a couple of years, but it is nice to have and has provided some motivation to polish some of my workflow behaviour.

A

Anonymous

Work with PocketPC?

Do the recommendations in the Whitepaper work with the PocketPC? I am given to understand that if you use the plugin, the information doesn't sync properly with pocketPC... not sure if that is true or not...

pswets

Registered
Re: Work with PocketPC?

fncll said:
Do the recommendations in the Whitepaper work with the PocketPC? I am given to understand that if you use the plugin, the information doesn't sync properly with pocketPC... not sure if that is true or not...
This is true. Pocket Outlook is crippled, and activesync is even worse. Custom fields, for example, do not sync using activesync. :cry:

W

witherjm

I have recently implemented the pdf instructions (thanks whoever dropped the price) and have a PocketPC on version 2003SE with desktop Outlook version 2002 and everything hangs together nicely.

Now the fact that Outlook is reading my Lotus Notes is another longer story

YMMV of course but it works for me

Justin

PS a recommendation that I have not seen posted anywhere is for Phatnotes

jpm

Registered
GTD Add-in for Microsoft Outlook

Wow!
I've been using GTD with outlook for several weeks now and I've been a little frustrated given the volume of e-mail that I get at work. (As many as 40 an hour). I was having problems with managing it all, but today I downloaded the add-in and trusted it to do what I needed done and I was able to blase through my inbox with 140 e-mails in just under 30 minutes.

While this is just my first experience with it, I'm looking forward to how the add-in performs on a going forward basis.

Anybody else have experience to share here?

jpm

A

Anonymous

I just tried the SP 2 of the add-in after leaving it alone for the past 5 months as it messed with some of my other add-ins.

I just realised how much I did miss it as the add-in makes it so much easier to manage my actions, projects and email. I don't mind the plain vanilla set-up in outlook, but I find the add-in just makes me more productive.

Cheers

Johann

Martin

Registered
Re: Work with PocketPC?

pswets said:
fncll said:
This is true. Pocket Outlook is crippled, and activesync is even worse. Custom fields, for example, do not sync using activesync.

I have set up outlook according to the whitepaper and the pocketpc works without problems for me. I'm using agenda fusion though

A

Anonymous

Not Using Pocket Outlook

I'm not using Pocket Outlook, so it turns out that Outlook + Pocket Information are pretty powerful... all the categories and such synch without a problem.

I still need some advice on storing tasks which I'll ask in another thread!