Question about Workflow Map

GeoDrilbP

Registered
When you ask the question: is it actionable?, and you answer NO, shouldn't there be an option in the workflow map of calendar along with the options of trash, someday/maybe and reference as well?

For example I may know that I need to do something but I can only start working on it after 9 months or there is an event I'd like to attend which is 7 months from now. Shouldn't David Allen include in the map that option as well?

AnneMKE

Registered
That goes under "incubate." Some versions of the workflow map graphics show only "someday/maybe lists and folders" as "incubate" destinations, but the book and other materials are clear that a tickler system, whether folders, calendar, or other, work well for many of these items.

TesTeq

Registered
When you ask the question: is it actionable?, and you answer NO, shouldn't there be an option in the workflow map of calendar along with the options of trash, someday/maybe and reference as well?

For example I may know that I need to do something but I can only start working on it after 9 months or there is an event I'd like to attend which is 7 months from now. Shouldn't David Allen include in the map that option as well?

1. "For example I may know that I need to do something but I can only start working on it after 9 months"
So it's actionable - just deferred!

2. "there is an event I'd like to attend which is 7 months from now"

Something is not actionable when you currently have no plan to do anything about it until the end of the world.

GeoDrilbP

Registered
1. "For example I may know that I need to do something but I can only start working on it after 9 months"

2. "there is an event I'd like to attend which is 7 months from now"

Something is not actionable when you currently have no plan to do anything about it until the end of the world.

I'd like to talk more deeply about this:

Dictionary's definition of actionable: able to be done or acted on

I answer Yes to the question "Is it actionable?" when it's something able to be done or acted on according to dictionary + it's something to be done now or in the very near future. So in my examples, since they do not meet both criteria I answer NO to the question "Is it actionable" and I have them at Calendar. But what confuses me is that this is not in David Allen's map but I got this clear now from AnneMKE's comment.

I am a beginner to GTD, do you think that my thought process on how I think of the question "Is it actionable" is correct?

Oogiem

Registered
I have the poster of the 2008 full color and it has several options, incubate has to further options, someday/maybe lists and folders and date specific triggers. The actionable side has the tickler file under defer.

ggray50

Registered
I got tied up in knots over this too when I first saw the workflow diagram as sdmb projects could potentially be actionable, its just that you're not committed to taking action yet or have yet to decide if you want to. I think the question should read "is it actionable and if so, are you committed to moving on this?" instead of "is it actionable?" but that would be a bit clunky. Alternatively, perhaps there should be a third answer to the question, "is it actionable": Yes, No and Possibly but not yet. The book and DAs presentations on YouTube give more context to this. From those sources, I concluded that stuff which could be actionable but that you haven't committed to moving on, now or in the near future is incubated - that can be in a tickler, calendar, sdmb list.

GeoDrilbP

Registered
I got tied up in knots over this too when I first saw the workflow diagram as sdmb projects could potentially be actionable, its just that you're not committed to taking action yet or have yet to decide if you want to. I think the question should read "is it actionable and if so, are you committed to moving on this?" instead of "is it actionable?" but that would be a bit clunky. Alternatively, perhaps there should be a third answer to the question, "is it actionable": Yes, No and Possibly but not yet. The book and DAs presentations on YouTube give more context to this. From those sources, I concluded that stuff which could be actionable but that you haven't committed to moving on, now or in the near future is incubated - that can be in a tickler, calendar, sdmb list.
Definitely agree with what you say. Thanks for answering.

TesTeq

Registered
Alternatively, perhaps there should be a third answer to the question, "is it actionable": Yes, No and Possibly but not yet.
People are different. I prefer GTD's binary distinction:
- ACTIONABLE: I want to do something now or in predictable future;
- NON ACTIONABLE: Nothing to do or plan.
The vague answer "Possibly but not yet" doesn't close my mental loop. My mind wants to know:
- how much "possibly"? 10%? 33%? 50% 67%? 90%? 99%?
- not yet then when? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Next spring? When I retire?
To much ambiguity that overwhelms my brain.

ggray50

Registered
People are different. I prefer GTD's binary distinction:
- ACTIONABLE: I want to do something now or in predictable future;
- NON ACTIONABLE: Nothing to do or plan.
The vague answer "Possibly but not yet" doesn't close my mental loop. My mind wants to know:
- how much "possibly"? 10%? 33%? 50% 67%? 90%? 99%?
- not yet then when? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Next spring? When I retire?
To much ambiguity that overwhelms my brain.

Someday Maybe covers everything from very likely to probably never (but you never know). Anything, really, that you've not yet made a firm commitment to taking action on at this time. Regular reviewing allows you to move it to a project or next action list when the time is right. For me, this includes things that I might possibly take action on at some point, just not yet eg its possible I might do a parachute jump at some point in the future but I've no idea when or how likely I am to actually do it, at this moment in time. That's vague, sure, but I'm comfortable with that. As DA says, it can include the "oh, I don't know, I might wanna, at some point, take action on this" kinda stuff.