Horizons of Focus for a team

brittas11

Registered
I am planning a strategy session with my team next week and I would like to frame it around the horizons of focus. Mainly the top 4 levels (we have projects and actions under control).

I am trying to think how I best get their input around this as we only have a few hours to spare.

I am thinking of presenting the concept with some examples, splitting the team into 2 (there are 10 people) and getting them to brain storm in groups and come back to collate our results.

I can't decide whether to get them to tackle each horizon one by one or lump 50,000 and 40,000 together in one brain storm, then 30,000 and 20,000 together.

Has anyone done this before in a group?

Gardener

Registered
I would be likely to go with a third strategy: Have them discuss all of the goals that are above projects/actions and then sort them into horizons. If you start with levels, I suspect that you'll spend most of your time squabbling about which level each item belongs to.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I would be likely to go with a third strategy: Have them discuss all of the goals that are above projects/actions and then sort them into horizons. If you start with levels, I suspect that you'll spend most of your time squabbling about which level each item belongs to.

I wouldn't have thought of this. But I think you are dead on right. I've seen this happen so many times: teams in these situations get to squabbling over details and lose focus on the big picture. The team leader needs to provide some structure to prevent that. Excellent insight, @Gardener.