Action steps

Mohd Bash

Registered
Dear all,

This is my second run at the GTD methodology, I miss the comfort and ease of mind that I got the first time around. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong.

In the "Clarify" step, you envision the outcome and the next action.
So, for a project "Z" I need steps A > B > C > D ....
Project Z will be in the project list. Step A will be in "Next action" list.

1 - When do I think and plan the steps of the project according to the GTD sequence?
2 - Where will the other steps be stored?
3 - In case step A is the logical next action. C requires both A and B. B can also be done now, and it don't require A to be done first. Do both A and B go to the "Next action" list?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
1 - When do I think and plan the steps of the project according to the GTD sequence?
Whenever you need to get the project off your mind. Some projects will need more planning than others. Some can be done only as you need to capture to take steps. Others will require more longer-range planning. And don't forget--you can capture more than one next action step on your lists, if you can do them in parallel. It's not just one action step--just not dependencies. Dependencies are stored (see #2...). So if you can do step a and step c and step J in parallel, they would all be captured on Next Action lists.

Most likely in a variety of places, such as the note field of the project list for Project Z, wherever you manage your projects email folders, hard-copy folders, project planning software, MS Office docs, collaboration software, etc. etc.

3 - In case step A is the logical next action. C requires both A and B. B can also be done now, and it don't require A to be done first. Do both A and B go to the "Next action" list?
Projects won't always be in logical sequence. It's why we (David Allen Company coaches and our Setup Guides) never suggest using software features that assume projects are always going to go in a sequential planned way. Projects are often messy, unplanned and more like an arrow that takes a wobbly path toward its target than a straight line.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

TesTeq

Registered
Whenever you need to get the project off your mind. Some projects will need more planning than others. Some can be done only as you need to capture to take steps. Others will require more longer-range planning.
Kelly, I find this idea to be both:
- the key to understand the "off your mind" attitude advised by GTD;
- the main difficulty for people who want precise "how to" guidelines.
I am often asked: "How many actions should I write down?"
And the expected answer is: one, five, all etc.
People don't want to hear: "as many as you need to get it off your mind". Why? Because they don't believe that their peace of mind is the best judge in planning. They would prefer to rely on @DavidAllen 's judgement...

Mohd Bash

Registered
Whenever you need to get the project off your mind. Some projects will need more planning than others. Some can be done only as you need to capture to take steps. Others will require more longer-range planning. And don't forget--you can capture more than one next action step on your lists, if you can do them in parallel. It's not just one action step--just not dependencies. Dependencies are stored (see #2...). So if you can do step a and step c and step J in parallel, they would all be captured on Next Action lists.

Most likely in a variety of places, such as the note field of the project list for Project Z, wherever you manage your projects email folders, hard-copy folders, project planning software, MS Office docs, collaboration software, etc. etc.

Projects won't always be in logical sequence. It's why we (David Allen Company coaches and our Setup Guides) never suggest using software features that assume projects are always going to go in a sequential planned way. Projects are often messy, unplanned and more like an arrow that takes a wobbly path toward its target than a straight line.

Hope this helps.

Kelly
Thanks Kelly for your quick reply, it is really helpful. Now i have to figure out how to configure OmniFocus.

mcogilvie

Registered
Thanks Kelly for your quick reply, it is really helpful. Now i have to figure out how to configure OmniFocus.

As one who struggled with the beast that is OmniFocus for quite a while, may I respectfully suggest that you not go there at first. At least try for a while what David Allen suggests: simple lists. If you commit to this, you will figure out where to put plans, you will do less planning but more steering, and get more done. You can do this in OF, but it means giving up a lot of the features that probably got you to use it in the first place. I resisted this for years, but it really is the best approach

Oogiem

Registered
Now i have to figure out how to configure OmniFocus.
I love and have used Omnifocus for years. My suggestion is at least initially, get and use the DavidCO set-up guide for OF you can get here.

Then in about 6 months to a year when you are more comfortable tweak to your hearts content to get it just right.

It may just be me, but I've tried the use paper first, use a simple list manager first etc and GTD never really stuck until I had a full featured app that I could adapt to me and my world.

I think I've finally learned my lesson, for me at least, pick the top of the line nest in breed app for any given task and commit to the learning curve. I'm far happier and can stick with the same SW for years that way. If I start out with a simple version I end up spending more time when I eventually run off the end of the App's feature lists and have to switch, requiring yet another long learning curve. I'd rather spend more time initially than learn multiple systems.

Mohd Bash

Registered
I love and have used Omnifocus for years. My suggestion is at least initially, get and use the DavidCO set-up guide for OF you can get here.

Then in about 6 months to a year when you are more comfortable tweak to your hearts content to get it just right.

It may just be me, but I've tried the use paper first, use a simple list manager first etc and GTD never really stuck until I had a full featured app that I could adapt to me and my world.

I think I've finally learned my lesson, for me at least, pick the top of the line nest in breed app for any given task and commit to the learning curve. I'm far happier and can stick with the same SW for years that way. If I start out with a simple version I end up spending more time when I eventually run off the end of the App's feature lists and have to switch, requiring yet another long learning curve. I'd rather spend more time initially than learn multiple systems.
I totally agree. Where is the DavidCo setup guide for OF? I can’t find it in the shop section.