I use todoist and I'm willing to make some changes. Does anybody here use it?

lazaro84

Registered
Hello everyone!

I use todoist as my GTD application and I'm willing to make some changes in my system. I have:

- Projects as Areas of Focus;
- Tags for identifying contexts, lists, projects, available time and periods of the day;
- Filters to help me in day and weekly review.

So, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

mcogilvie

Registered
lazaro84 said:
Hello everyone!

I use todoist as my GTD application and I'm willing to make some changes in my system. I have:

- Projects as Areas of Focus;
- Tags for identifying contexts, lists, projects, available time and periods of the day;
- Filters to help me in day and weekly review.

So, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

If you have only a few projects, it's probably fine. With more than 10-20 projects, I would use Todoist's subproject and subtask features rather than tags for projects. Todoist is not one of my favorite list tools, but it is usable.

FrancescoPlli

Registered
I've just looked at my old todoist gtdsetup (in it's free version so I didn't use tags). That's how It worked for me. Hope you could use some ideas from screens below. Have a nice day.

Francesco

Attached files

lazaro84

Registered
mcogilvie said:
If you have only a few projects, it's probably fine. With more than 10-20 projects, I would use Todoist's subproject and subtask features rather than tags for projects. Todoist is not one of my favorite list tools, but it is usable.

Thank you mcogilvie! Actually, after this post I did some changes. I am not using tags for projects anymore. I'm still using Projects as Focus Areas and now I have 3 main Projects (Ongoing, Suspended and Finished) with their subprojects.

I am getting satisfied with this new configuration and I'm striving to do a better GTD. Hope to keep that :-D

lazaro84

Registered
FrancescoPlli said:
I've just looked at my old todoist gtdsetup (in it's free version so I didn't use tags). That's how It worked for me. Hope you could use some ideas from screens below. Have a nice day.

Francesco

Thank you for sharing, Francesco!!

RS356

Registered
I've used Todoist for 2+ years now. My setup is similar to Francesco's. Some key differences:

* I use the projects in the sidebar as flat lists, without indenting. So, one 'project' for each of my next action lists, one for my project list, another for someday/maybe, and one for areas of focus. No indenting means nothing is accidentally hidden (overlooked), and quicker to access in the mobile app.

* Each GTD project is, in fact, a task in my Projects list. This allows me to have a quick overview of my 80-100 projects and assign due dates to larger outcomes. I do use subtasks to break down large projects into smaller chunks. These aren't actions, but usually milestones.

* My next actions are not linked to my projects or areas of focus. I tried it, but found that, in my workflow, the investment of time and effort to maintain a tagging system didn't have much payoff. My weekly review ties everything together.

janvhi.garg

Registered
I have been using Todoist. This seems like a good setup as long as it's working well for you. But I took time figuring that out.
As a newbee at GTD, I had posted some questions regrading an ideal configuration. But still wasn't sure.
So had to hire an assistant from https://croogster.com/ to suggest the best practices. That worked out fine.
But I suggest, keep your comfort at priority

kschoenaerts

Registered
I have a list called "ROUTINES" in my projectlist for daily, weekly and monthly routines and find that to be very useful (see attached pic).

Attachments

• 2017-02-26 01.48.49 PM.jpeg
    2017-02-26 01.48.49 PM.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 91

ljmwaugh

Registered
My setup is a little different. My Projects are more areas of focus: Work, Personal, Pawnshops with very few subprojects under those. The main one being a Someday Maybe under each main area.

Then I use the tasks and subtasks when I have a GTD defined project. I find this is more flexible and I can easily see the parent if I want or just see the @nextaction (label). So my contexts are all Labels.

I try to stay away from dates unless there is a critical deadline.

I have only been using Todoist a few months but so far this setup is working fairly well.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I've been using Todoist for about 7 months, the longest I've ever stayed with an app :)

My brain works in Projects, so I have each project as a (duh) Project ;)
My Contexts are labels. I love that I can then filter based on either project or context. Custom filters are awesome!

I nest projects -

Current Projects (some of these are shared with my husband)
Project 1
Project 2, etc
Projects Waiting (next action is a WF, or for some other reason I can't move them and don't want them cluttering my Current Projects list)
Project 1
Project 2 etc
Projects - Later (these have often been demoted from Current Projects when priorities changed)
Project 1
Project 2 etc
Routines
Chores
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Quarterly
Annually
Family Activities (more like a brainstorming checklist, shared with my husband)
Shopping Lists - shared
(one for each of our regular stores, plus 'Other')
Horizons of Focus (not much here yet)
AoF 1
AoF 2 etc
1-2 yr goals
3-5 yr goals
Purpose and principles
Someday
Project 1
Project 2 etc
Incubate (remind me soon, I haven't made a decision yet, plus...)
To read
Movies to watch
Date night ideas
Tickler
(remind me later, until then stay out of my face!)
Checklists
(not much here yet)

_KP_

Registered
I recently listened to the GTD Connect Webinar on Todoist and it was so helpful. I had gone way off track by using Todoist how it was designed to be used. That overwhelmed me because it's not really designed GTD out of the box. I'm always looking for new ideas to better this but this is my new set up:
gtd setup.jpg

TesTeq

Registered