Question re setting up Todoist for GTD

mcogilvie

Registered
There are at least two possible ways to set up Todoist for GTD: either set up project lists which are actually context lists, making label use optional, or use project lists for projects. In the latter case, labels must be used for contexts. My question: which method do people who use Todoist use, and why?

bumpa

Registered
I just rebuilt my setup after reading the Todoist setup guide to mimick option 1 (one project as a complete project listing and context lists as projects). For years I always set things up with Projects and next actions together and used labels or tags as contexts, which always seemed to get out of control. I want simple but I have a tendency to complicate my system instead of just getting things done. I've been back and forth with Todoist for a number of years and have used Nirvanahq since 2012, tried OmniFocus and Things, back to paper and back to digital, so I can be my own worst enemy. (sorry that has nothing to do with your question!)

I have to give monthly updates on projects (in prog, complete, etc.) and seem to always wrestle with my system to find and note everything I did for that particular month, and still don't always feel comfortable I got everything.
With that said I'm going to give this setup a real try with Todoist and see how it goes.

SimonLondon

Registered
Hi,

I started using Todoist last year. I've set up using only "projects" in the Todoist sense of the word rather than the GTD sense. At the time it didn't occur to me that there was another way.

I've started watching the GTD connect guide and am now pondering which way is best. My initial intuition is that it's easiest to carry on without labels. This is because the labels feels like it creates another step, first you need to assign a label then a project. Seems like more work. The benefit that you know which tasks link to which projects doesn't seem particularly beneficial for me.

What are your thoughts what made you ask the question?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
If I personally used Todoist, I would go for setting up all lists under the Projects area, and only use Labels to further link related items (key projects, areas of focus, or reference topics/themes).

The primary benefit of lists under Projects is being able to email directly to each list.

Last edited:

bumpa

Registered
@kelstarrising Thanks! Emailing directly into a list is something I haven't yet taken advantage of. I have the Outlook add-in button but I'll send emails to the Inbox and then deal with them later.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've started watching the GTD connect guide and am now pondering which way is best. My initial intuition is that it's easiest to carry on without labels. This is because the labels feels like it creates another step, first you need to assign a label then a project. Seems like more work. The benefit that you know which tasks link to which projects doesn't seem particularly beneficial for me.

What are your thoughts what made you ask the question?

There's a trade off between speed and simplicity on the one hand and the synergy of organization on the other, depending on which way you organize your lists. Todoist seems to be a popular software choice that supports both approaches. I’ve done it both ways, but I wanted to learn from the experiences of others. I'm currently using Things, which has a projects plus tags orientation similar to Todoist. Omnifocus 3 will also have tags.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I use the other approach described in the guide (using Projects as .. uh.. Projects ;) and Labels for GTD Contexts), so I can easily view by project or context, as I described in the other post. I have the premium version of Todoist so have hacked the filters to show me what I need (notably all next actions against my Current projects, by context, vs actions I've added just to get them off my mind, that are not true NAs yet). I also limit my Projects in progress, Kanban-style, by moving them between folders "Current Projects", "Next in Line" or "Later". Having each Project and its related tasks (active or not) as a list in Todoist makes it easy to re-negotiate my work when "life happens".

I find the system both flexible and straightforward to use, since it matches the way my mind naturally works. I'm probably the black sheep, and I'm Ok with that. :)
https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/todoist-question.13433/page-4

mcogilvie

Registered
I use the other approach described in the guide (using Projects as .. uh.. Projects ;) and Labels for GTD Contexts), so I can easily view by project or context, as I described in the other post....

I find the system both flexible and straightforward to use, since it matches the way my mind naturally works. I'm probably the black sheep, and I'm Ok with that. :)
https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/todoist-question.13433/page-4

I've done it both ways in Things 3, but I now have Projects as Projects also. So I'm a black sheep too. As long as we do weekly reviews and escape being sheared by Oogiem :rolleyes:, I think we'll be ok.

ssksogaard

Registered
Hi, new to the GTD Connect site (and fairly new to GTD) :)
I started with GTD and Todoist last summer (in '17) and have tried both the free and the paid versions, and don't think I'll go back to the free version ever.

In my setup, I've sorted my work, personal and volunteer in three sections (by colour, it's actually 9 projects in total) and have a project, next action and waiting for each section. Then I use labels to give tasks GTD context. Then when sorting by labels (context) the colours od the tasks quickly tell me for what part of my life the tasks belong.

For the "Projects - Work"-section I have sub-projects for each of the ongoing client projects.
Our projects have a similar task pattern so the paid version allows for templates, so I can quickly create a new client project with +30 predefined tasks (incl. labels). Love this feature.

I have attached a picture of the setup.

Attachments

• Udklip.PNG
    Udklip.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 99

ssksogaard

Registered
Welcome, sksogaard! I'm curious, were you using any other application(s) to manage your lists before starting with GTD last summer?

Thanks John..
Well the that question can be answered with both a yes and a no.. :)

Mainly I tried to keep all my tasks organized in Outlook, but in my attempt to include EVERYTHING in this one simple task section it became overwhelming! (Like adding every email, note, picture, drawings to the task)..

Then I tried to split it between Outlook and OneNote but not with any real consistency, this quickly got messy!

Todoist allowed me to take my tasks away from the computer, and still keep it organized by project/context, when Microsoft comes up with a solution to get the categories on a mobile devise I believe I’m going back to Outlook (but with a different setup :D)

bumpa

Registered
Thanks John..

Mainly I tried to keep all my tasks organized in Outlook, but in my attempt to include EVERYTHING in this one simple task section it became overwhelming! (Like adding every email, note, picture, drawings to the task)..

Then I tried to split it between Outlook and OneNote but not with any real consistency, this quickly got messy!

Todoist allowed me to take my tasks away from the computer, and still keep it organized by project/context, when Microsoft comes up with a solution to get the categories on a mobile devise I believe I’m going back to Outlook (but with a different setup :D)
Would you use the outlook add-in button to get your emails into Todoist? I've been thinking about setting up a rule to auto forward emails to my Todoist inbox to try and minimize time spent in outlook, anyone have experience with this process? OneNote also made sense to me since it was in the same family as Outlook, but I just don't like it. I'm currently working to be disciplined with my reference material (reducing as well) and keep it in either Todoist or Evernote, which I've subscribed to EV for years. Any CONS on Todoist for keeping all ref material?

ssksogaard

Registered
Would you use the outlook add-in button to get your emails into Todoist? I've been thinking about setting up a rule to auto forward emails to my Todoist inbox to try and minimize time spent in outlook, anyone have experience with this process? OneNote also made sense to me since it was in the same family as Outlook, but I just don't like it. I'm currently working to be disciplined with my reference material (reducing as well) and keep it in either Todoist or Evernote, which I've subscribed to EV for years. Any CONS on Todoist for keeping all ref material?

I would be careful to auto-forward emails to my Todoist inbox, this will double your inbox size (Outlook + Todoist) giving you twice the amount of work. I've set up a quick step in Outlook, that sends that email to my Todoist inbox and then later in the day I can decide what to do about it.
I try to keep Todoist as a list manager, with no real reference material.

One rule I'm very happy about in Outlook is my CC-rule. Every email where I'm CC (and not the only recipient) goes to a CC-folder to be checked when I have the time. The CC for me is information I'm not required to act on.
Actually, also my waiting-for-rule, then a send email contains *wf* Outlook automatically copies the email to a WaitingFor-folder so I quickly can review the email waiting for.

SimmonSydney

Registered
Thanks John..

Hi Mate

What do you do with all your project support material ?

I keep everything in Evernote including my lists but am currently having a play with Todoist. Mainly because I like to create a today list and easily swipe and move things, which todoist allows me to do.

The thing is that I have loads of emails about the one project, hence why evernote has been best to this point.

Do you just use outlook ?

ssksogaard

Registered
Hi Mate

What do you do with all your project support material ?

I keep everything in Evernote including my lists but am currently having a play with Todoist. Mainly because I like to create a today list and easily swipe and move things, which todoist allows me to do.

The thing is that I have loads of emails about the one project, hence why evernote has been best to this point.

Do you just use outlook ?

Hi, yes I use Microsoft Outlook for my emails.
All my support materials are kept in different locations, but doing so consistently, it's quick to locate the stuff anyway..

Project communications in a Project folder i MS Outlook
Project notes in a Project section of MS OneNote
Project documents in a Project folder on a shared drive
At the end of the project everything is exported to the folder on the shared drive to de-clutter my working area..

Hope this helps.