How do you handle new ideas related to existing projects?

WebMarketer

Registered
Hi all,

What do you do when ideas pop up in your head regarding a project that's on your Projects list? I had a moment like this yesterday when I was browsing a particular website and this gave me a new idea: a new service to add to my own website.

What do I do with this idea RIGHT NOW?

My site is being revamped and this idea must wait until other parts of the site are completed.

I figured it should not go on one of my Next Action lists since it's neither a single action or one that I can do right now. So what the next step? Would I then park the idea in project planning or project support? Put it "on hold" somewhere until I can come back to it and work on it for my site?

Sometimes I get moments like this! Good ideas just come up in my mind and I don't really know how to handle them in that moment. Of course I put the idea in my Inbox as a first step so I don't forget it, but then I'm not always clear on what to do with it next.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

TruthWK

Registered
So, first you can capture it in your inbox like anything else. Once you are ready to clarify what it means to you, it can certainly go in project support if it is a potential new sub project. My personal preference would be to put it on a someday/maybe list and then put related ideas to it in your reference system. The way i'm structured right now, each someday/maybe list is a folder and each list item is a sub-folder so that I can capture any support material or ideas related to that someday/maybe right along with it.

Thais Godhino

GTD Connect
First, you capture.

Once you clarify it, if it demands a next action, you'll put the action on the "right" place:
- if it takes less than 2 minutes, you do at that time
- if you can delegate, you delegate and put on your "waiting for" list
- if you need to do at time or hour specific, you put on your calendar
- if you need to do as soon as possible, you put on the next actions list

The paper, the notes... you can trash it or put on projects support if you need to file it (related to the project).

Oogiem

Registered
Hi all,

What do you do when ideas pop up in your head regarding a project that's on your Projects list? I had a moment like this yesterday when I was browsing a particular website and this gave me a new idea: a new service to add to my own website.

What do I do with this idea RIGHT NOW?

My site is being revamped and this idea must wait until other parts of the site are completed.
Capture it in as much detail as you need to an inbox right then and there.

Then later, when you are processing your inbox decide what to do with it. Since you already have a project of revamping web site what I'd do with my tools is add it to the project support material for that project, and since, in my world that sort of project is sequential not parallel, I'd go ahead and add something like "Evaluate idea X for web site service - see notes in <paper> or <electronic> project support" as an action at the bottom of the "Re-Vamp Web Site" project with a context of whatever is appropriate maybe @desk or @computer Internet as required.

That way the information is captured right away. I have it in a place I'll see it when I can work on it and my tools hide those things until I get to them so don't clutter up my already very long lists.

WebMarketer

Registered
So, first you can capture it in your inbox like anything else. Once you are ready to clarify what it means to you, it can certainly go in project support if it is a potential new sub project. My personal preference would be to put it on a someday/maybe list and then put related ideas to it in your reference system. The way i'm structured right now, each someday/maybe list is a folder and each list item is a sub-folder so that I can capture any support material or ideas related to that someday/maybe right along with it.
Thanks for your feedback. So if I understand you correctly, you have multiple Someday/Maybe lists?

TruthWK

Registered
Yes. This was a part of GTD that I missed initially too in the book. You can create an upcoming projects list, a movies to watch list, and a bucket list as 3 different types of someday maybe lists. These are just examples of things you would want to keep separate and not in one big list. You can make as many different someday maybe lists as you want.

Oogiem

Registered
So if I understand you correctly, you have multiple Someday/Maybe lists?
I also have many someday/Maybe lists including Farm Projects to to, personal projects to do, books to read SF, knitting projects to do, things to learn and so on. I have 53 separate Someday/Maybe lists right now.

WebMarketer

Registered
Capture it in as much detail as you need to an inbox right then and there.

Then later, when you are processing your inbox decide what to do with it. Since you already have a project of revamping web site what I'd do with my tools is add it to the project support material for that project, and since, in my world that sort of project is sequential not parallel, I'd go ahead and add something like "Evaluate idea X for web site service - see notes in <paper> or <electronic> project support" as an action at the bottom of the "Re-Vamp Web Site" project with a context of whatever is appropriate maybe @desk or @computer Internet as required.

That way the information is captured right away. I have it in a place I'll see it when I can work on it and my tools hide those things until I get to them so don't clutter up my already very long lists.
Thanks, Oogiem for your feedback. Appreciate it.

Here's an example of the "Launch new website" project I have going, including some of the planning and actions that will move the project forward. I'm not yet done with all of the planning and this is still a work in progress.

Project: Launch New Website

OUTCOME/RESULT: To have a great website that features a modern design and quality content that describes all services and solutions offered to customers.

PURPOSE:
  • To have a professional online presence that generates interest from potential clients.
  • To secure new customers through the website.
  • To earn additional income from services performed.
  • To solidify my reputation from positive reviews and testimonials obtained from clients.
  • To educate readers on industry trends and other areas (via blog).

ACTIONS:
  • Search the web for a mobile-friendly WordPress template that achieves desired look and feel for the site.
  • Identify all services to be offered.
  • This one is the idea I posted about above: --> Evaluate idea "ABC" as a website service and include description of different packages and pricing options.
  • Prepare site structure and navigation.
  • Write out content for each service page.
  • (Other next actions for this project...)

I keep these project planning/notes in OneNote. I use the "Actions" section above to list both current and future next actions, so I don't forget about any of them. Then I'll add the next action to be done to the appropriate list which I keep in Todoist. When that one gets completed, I'll add the following NA to my list... and so on.

The thing is that some of the actions for my projects are in a way mini-projects themselves because I know from experience these tasks will involve a few steps. For example, the action "Write out content for each service page" requires doing some research on how to best present each service to potential clients and the wording to be used will be important as well. So writing out quality content is definitely doable (I've done it many times for clients), but it will more time than a simple next action.

My GTD practice is a bit rusty these days! Any feedback on this approach? Am I on the right track here? I know everyone has their own way for managing their projects. Always open to feedback and (helpful) criticism!

WebMarketer

Registered
I also have many someday/Maybe lists including Farm Projects to to, personal projects to do, books to read SF, knitting projects to do, things to learn and so on. I have 53 separate Someday/Maybe lists right now.
53 Someday/Maybe lists? How do you manage that number of lists? Do you review them all during your WR? For me, that would be major overkill. But that's just me!

Oogiem

Registered
53 Someday/Maybe lists? How do you manage that number of lists? Do you review them all during your WR?
Not all lists get reviewed at every weekly review.

For example, I have a list for knitting projects to do. I don't even bother to read that one until I have finished my existing project. Ditto for weaving projects to do. Another example is a group of related lists: Travel Ideas - Foreign, Travel Ideas - Local, Travel Ideas - Colorado and Travel Ideas - US. Until I have identified some time for a trip or we are discussing those plans why bother to review them? I do look at the Travel Ideas - Local more frequently, usually once or twice a month, because that one has local events, festivals and places we can often get to within a day. Once we do decide to make a longer trip I have a list and in some cases preliminary planning for things we've identified as someplace we want to go or some travel adventure we want to do.

I have a list for all the various NaNoWriMo novel ideas I;ve come up with and in October I usually pick one to be my NaNo Project for the year. But I don't generally look at it much during the rest of the year except if I participate in Camp NaNo.

I do review every S/M list on my solstice and equinox reviews. The biggest one is the year end winter solstice review. At that time I take every single item on every single list and really re-evaluate whether I still want to keep it on my list. It's not unusual for me to remove several hundred items off the S/M lists that I have decided are now something I will never do. I also tend to add back an almost equal number of new ones so the total population of potential projects rarely changes much.

I have farm projects organized by the season in which they can be done. I only look at those lists at the quarterly reviews and only the one that is projects that are possible to do in the next quarter.

I also read very fast so I can read and do a quick scan/review of a list of about 100+ possible projects in about 2 minutes.