Overcoming Resistance to Your Lists

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Resist your lists? No, not you. But if you know anyone who ever mentions that they're less than 100% enthusiastic about their lists, refer them to the recording of the Overcoming Resistance to Your Lists webinar. Meg Edwards and Kelly Forrister presented the webinar live last week, and the recording is now available in the video library.

In this webinar, Meg and Kelly consider projects and actions on your lists that just keep rolling on and on. They take a closer look at nine possible reasons why we resist lists and how to overcome any resistance. As usual, they bring humor, wisdom, and make improving our GTD practice fun.

kishen

Registered
Loved the webinar! Got an "aha" about why I'm so nervous putting in a clover lawn at our rental property, despite having done 20 hours of research. ;) And Kelly's observation about why procrastinators don't finish earlier was fascinating! I realized that for me, it might actually be that getting it done early lengthens the amount of time you have to think about it: both the time for feedback, time and the time for "wish I'd done it differently".

John, could I also put in a request to Meg for tips and tricks on using a paper planner? I understand it conceptually - I believe I watched the webinar on it a few months ago - but I would love to see a few images of what lists-in-action can actually look like, and learn more about the daily process.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I would also love to see a webinar on advanced usage of paper planners. I have seen the webinar on setting up a paper planner but I think there is a lot more to know about it.

Cheers,
Tristan

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
@kishen I wrote a Setup Guide on paper planners that’s a free download for you in the Connect document library if you want to check out examples and sample lists.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
Will there also be an audio version of the webinar? I always listen to the webinars while driving in my car so an audio version would be great.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Tristan

persistence

Registered
Meg Edwards and Kelly Forrister presented the webinar live last week, and the recording is now available in the video library.
Hi i cant seem to find it in the video section
Thks

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Will there also be an audio version of the webinar? I always listen to the webinars while driving in my car so an audio version would be great.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Tristan

Hi Tristan, I had not posted the MP3 audio for a couple of reasons. It's a bigger file than either the MP4 video that streams on GTD Connect, or the M4V video that downloads. I figured that most who are listening mobile would download the video and listen to that. But I'd be happy to add the MP3. I have just done that, and here is the link.
https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=841&trackid=1467

Geeko

GTD since 2017
Hi Tristan, I had not posted the MP3 audio for a couple of reasons. It's a bigger file than either the MP4 video that streams on GTD Connect, or the M4V video that downloads. I figured that most who are listening mobile would download the video and listen to that. But I'd be happy to add the MP3. I have just done that, and here is the link.

What do you and others say about file types?

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the mp3 files. My car's multimedia system does not work with video, so I need mp3.
I converted the video file myself and got to a much smaller filesize. I will save you the tech babble but it looks like the audio quality of the videos was quite low. If you are interested in further details I would send them to you via email because I don’t think the forum is the right place for this.

Cheers,
Tristan

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the mp3 files. My car's multimedia system does not work with video, so I need mp3.
I converted the video file myself and got to a much smaller filesize. I will save you the tech babble but it looks like the audio quality of the videos was quite low. If you are interested in further details I would send them to you via email because I don’t think the forum is the right place for this.
Cheers,
Tristan

Hi Tristan, yes, I am very interested. I will email you so you can reply at your convenience.

TesTeq

Registered
FYI: Overcast podcast player on iPhone can play a video file as an audio podcast. I've listened to the file dated 2018-10-31. Now there's a new file dated 2018-11-09. I suppose this is the mp3 file. Overcast doesn't display the file type.

Ravine61

GTD'R 4 Life
Hello All;

I had a a chance to particpate in this webinar and then re-listened to it again next week..there is lots to unpack, and Kelly / Meg absolutely nailed down the main reasons we all “resist our lists”. Meg’s explanation of why we emotionally resist lists and how the GTD methodology can help clarify this resistance is stellar! Kelly’s guidance on why we physically resist our lists was also very insightful (those dental appointments can be...brutal!).

Many thanks for consistently providing to GTD Connect Members webinars that enlighten & inspire me. I so appreciate it and the GTD Leadership & Community!