Recurring tasks

Bereal151

Registered
I am a low tech person that prefers pen and pad for managing my tasks. My challenge is managing recurring tasks and/or events. I find myself having to remember them which means instead of having a system that holds them. What’s the solution?

clango

Registered
I think it's the point where we all started here!
Welcome ! :)
Did you already read the Gettings Thing Done book?
What if you could organize this tasks and events with paper?

Bereal151

Registered
I think it's the point where we all started here!
Welcome ! :)
Did you already read the Gettings Thing Done book?
What if you could organize this tasks and events with paper?
Yes, I read the book and like the concept. I trust paper more than going the digital route but not sure what system I can use to reliably store recurring tasks.

Tom_Hagen

Registered
If task occurence is on specific date(s) write it down on your calendar. If not - write it down either as a member of checklist or on next action list. After completing task you can check it off (for good feelings :) ) and write it down again.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
The pen and paper solution for recurring tasks is to put them in the tickler file.

Have one note for each task and "tickle" them as you see fit.

Now, a few details have to be considered here.

(Aside from tickler file construction, there are several ways to obtain one besides of just buying a classical one in a store.)
https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/tickler-file.html
https://lifehacker.com/5321688/save-space-by-using-a-3-ring-binder-as-a-tickler-file
https://www.theunlikelyhomeschool.com/2014/01/diy-tickler-file-organization-for-rest.html
https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Tickler-File

First, what is with tasks that you want to do several times per day? A good way to handle them is to have checkboxes on that note, in fact, you can print out a whole table with tick-boxes…

Second, context, this is a bit of a miracle in GTD generally "How do you change contexts?" Say your tickler file resides in your @work office and it gives you a note to do the groceries today. How do you handle that?

Third one, when are you going to "tickle?" I mean, in the morning you open that tickler file, now you have those notes laying there. When are you going to do those tasks? Right away like a Marine jumping form a landing boat? During the day somehow… Maybe you have an appointed time on the note for some of the tasks?

These things are all very easy. You just have to decide on them. Just make up your mind as you go. You do it a few times and things will fall in place.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I would recommend a laminated checklist (so you can wipe and reuse it) and the 43 folder tickler file from the book. You can either put the checklist in there or use a piece of paper as reminder.

Cheers,
Tristan

Oogiem

Registered
I am a low tech person that prefers pen and pad for managing my tasks. My challenge is managing recurring tasks and/or events. I find myself having to remember them which means instead of having a system that holds them. What’s the solution?
Can you create a paper checklist of the things that need to be done daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or whatever with checkboxes next to them and put the paper into a plastic page protector and then use a dry erase marker to check the items off? That way you know when you;ve done something but don't have to re-write them all the time.

Alternatively, create a computer text file the same and just print out enough copies so you can throw them away when you are done.

TruthWK

Registered
I've lately been experimenting with treating recurring tasks on their own lists but like waiting for where I mark the date completed and I can evaluate from that if I need to follow up aka do the task again. This keeps me from having to set any sort of hard recursion. In other words, I don't have to decide to exercise every 3 days, I can just note the date when I exercise and when I look at my recurring tasks, I can decide on the fly which ones are most important right now based on when they were done last and my gut feeling.

John Ismyname

Registered
Even for the high-tech, a physical tickle file is great. As Cpu_Modern points out, you can DIY this. I'd highly recommend buying a 1-31 and a Jan-Dec tickler from an office supply store and keeping it close to your desk.

For re-occurring tasks, I write them on recipe cards as they are durable enough to last months or years. For example, once-a-month, I check my water softener and water meter in my basement. When this card comes up in my 1-31's, I put in in my pocket and check these the next time I am in my basement.