My take on a Notetaker Wallet

Jim

GTD Ninja
Since the DavidCo Notetaker Wallet is no more, I decided to make my own.

I wanted to stay away from custom notepads, and I wanted a larger writing area. So I chose 3x5 Post-It pads. These are really inexpensive and they are available in any store that carries office supplies.

After a bit of searching, I found the perfect wallet to use with the pads: a Baron Fig Guardian Vanguard Leather Case in Yellowgold.

NTW_Wallet_with_pad.jpg

The sticky strip on the pad isn't strong enough to hold the pad in place (at least for my use—YMMV), so I placed two pieces of double-sided tape on the wallet. These hold the pad securely.

NTW_Inside_view.jpg

After I capture a task or project onto a sheet, I peel it off and stick it to the other side of the wallet. This keeps a fresh sheet available for the next item. When I get home, it is easy to take the new items off of the cover and add them into my inbox.

NTW_Captured_item.jpg

Thus far, I am delighted with this setup as my new Notetaker Wallet—it fits into my pocket, and the replacement pads are plentiful and inexpensive.

If you want to make your own, here are the pads that I use, and the Baron Fig Guardian Vanguard Leather Case.

If you like, you can use my Baron Fig referral link to save $10.

Enjoy!

Jim

GTD Ninja
The killer feature of my DA note taker wallet is the slot for the Rotring pen. Where do you keep your pen?
I prefer a full sized pen (made by a company called Ajoto), so I carry mine separately from the wallet.

That said, in my setup, there is space for a short pen near the fold of the wallet. If the Rotring has a clip, that might work. But the BF wallet does not have a slot for a pen.

Jim

GTD Ninja
I prefer to carry my Ajoto pen in its leather case. That said, your post inspired me to try placing the pen inside the wallet. Although not secured (like a slot would do), it does fit the space in the wallet very well.

Pen_in_place.jpg

Side_view.jpg

John Ismyname

Registered
pic.png A pic of my note taker is enclosed. It's a leather police detective pocket notebook holder. I bought a bunch of them on e-bay for under $5 each. It holds the following;
- A miniature 3x5" notebook (which it is designed for) 3 for $1 at a dollar store
- A few 3x5" recipe cards next to nothing at dollar store
- A tactical pen $6 on Ebay

Last edited:

Oogiem

Registered
View attachment 293 A pic of my note taker is enclosed. It's a leather police detective pocket notebook holder.
Have you ever found any that have places to store drivers licenses and credit cards sideways so that it is not just a notebook but a true wallet? I've found ones for holding a badge but that isn't quite what I need.

This is the closest to what I'm thining of I've found lately.

https://tacticalnotebookcovers.com/police-memo-notebook-cover.html

But what I really want is this sort of card holding system.

https://www.all-ett.com/collections/nylon/products/nylon-original-wallet

edited to add links
edited to correct second link, sorry, was rushing to go deal with a sudden hay delivery.

Last edited:

John Ismyname

Registered
Have you ever found any that have places to store drivers licenses and credit cards sideways so that it is not just a notebook but a true wallet? I've found ones for holding a badge but that isn't quite what I need.

This is the closest to what I'm thinking of I've found lately.

But what I really want is this sort of card holding system.

edited to add links

Hello Oogiem; the links above are both the same. Please edit to show the credit card holding system you are considering.

The pics below show a pocket knife / money clip, which I use to hold credit and bank cards. The knife acts as a weight to keep it at the bottom of my pocket. If it gets lost or stolen, its easy to call the financial institution and report this and have them cancelled. I keep my drivers license and other government docs hidden in my car. I don't need to carry these and government docs are a pain to get re-issued.

I also use the notepad and pen holder shown below. The back has a belt loop so I put it on when I get dressed. Thus, I always have a pen and note-pad with me.

A topic of forum discussion might be what we all keep with us all the time - everyday carry - EDC.

Attachments

• knife1.png
    knife1.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 12
  • notepad-holder-back.png
    notepad-holder-back.png
    492.4 KB · Views: 13
  • notepad-holder-front.png
    notepad-holder-front.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 13
  • knife-back.png
    knife-back.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 13

Oogiem

Registered
Hello Oogiem; the links above are both the same. Please edit to show the credit card holding system you are considering.

The pics below show a pocket knife / money clip, which I use to hold credit and bank cards. The knife acts as a weight to keep it at the bottom of my pocket. If it gets lost or stolen, its easy to call the financial institution and report this and have them cancelled. I keep my drivers license and other government docs hidden in my car. I don't need to carry these and government docs are a pain to get re-issued.
Sorry, was rushing to finish as we had a hay delivery and I missed that I hadn't captured the second link properly. Corrected now.

Here you may need to show drivers license at any given time and it is supposed to be on your perosn at all times when operating a vehicle. It's also the primary method for id in the event of an accident so I carry it all the time.

My EDC includes my phone, a leatherman tool, my epi pen and other misc stuff.

Dave Edwards

Registered
These are all good suggestions. I’m still using my note taker wallet but will keep these ideas in mind for the future.

But I will use this opportunity to ask a related question. My original pen broke probably from sitting in my back pocket. Has anyone found a stronger replacement ?

Nayara Tozei

Registered

Are these options close to what you want?
https://www.onestarleathergoods.store/listing/623500973/small-notebook-wallet-and-pen-park
https://dokibook.com/Discagenda/Dis...ERSONAL-ELASTIC-STRAP-CLOSURE-p296c46c48.html
https://dokibook.com/Discagenda/Rin...LD-COVER-PERSONAL-ZIP-CLOSURE-p357c46c53.html

Oogiem

Registered
Are these options close to what you want?
No all 3 of those store the cards vertically stacked on top of each other with a bit of the top sticking up making a bulge in the middle. I want the cards stacked horizontally for minimum thickness all over and consistent thickness all over like the All-Ett original wallets do.

John Ismyname

Registered
These are all good suggestions. I’m still using my note taker wallet but will keep these ideas in mind for the future.

But I will use this opportunity to ask a related question. My original pen broke probably from sitting in my back pocket. Has anyone found a stronger replacement ?

This is why I use a tactical pen. Mine is a knock-off of this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...li-20&linkId=3d8cc281e0df11cb1a19dcfc19eabaa3
As it's made out of aircraft-grade aluminum, if you sit on it, it will not break. As a bonus, it's a weapon and a glass breaker.

Oogiem

Registered
I will use this opportunity to ask a related question. My original pen broke probably from sitting in my back pocket. Has anyone found a stronger replacement ?
I use a space pen. I get the backpacker one that has the lanyard because I also attach one to my Lamb Bag during lambing so I never lose it.

They do make tactical pens that use the space pen refills which is an excellent option.

John Ismyname

Registered
Here you may need to show drivers license at any given time and it is supposed to be on your person at all times when operating a vehicle. It's also the primary method for id in the event of an accident so I carry it all the time.

Oogiem, you gave me a good idea! I made a photocopy of my government health card that I cut down to it's credit card size to keep win my credit and bank cards. In case I get hit by a bus, it would be nice for the hospital to have this information :)

I just drive and own one car so I'm content to keep my driver's licence and ownership and proof of insurance hidden in that car. This is the GTD @ location where I will need these documents. The last "interaction" I had where I had to produce these documents was in 1990s. There is no benefit to carrying therm with me.

if anything there is a liability. If these documents end up in criminal hands, they could be used for identity theft. This is why I hide them. If someone steals my car, I don't want the thief having these documents.

While I like the idea of a slim-wallet, I made the realization that I don't need any wallet!

Oogiem

Registered
Oogiem, you gave me a good idea! I made a photocopy of my government health card that I cut down to it's credit card size to keep win my credit and bank cards. In case I get hit by a bus, it would be nice for the hospital to have this information :)

I just drive and own one car so I'm content to keep my driver's licence and ownership and proof of insurance hidden in that car. This is the GTD @ location where I will need these documents. The last "interaction" I had where I had to produce these documents was in 1990s. There is no benefit to carrying therm with me.

if anything there is a liability. If these documents end up in criminal hands, they could be used for identity theft. This is why I hide them. If someone steals my car, I don't want the thief having these documents.

While I like the idea of a slim-wallet, I made the realization that I don't need any wallet!

I have my drivers license, hunting license, health insurance card, credit cards, grocery store loyalty point cards, AAA card (gets you not only car service in any car in which you are a passenger but also can get you discounts on all sorts of things from entrance fees to museums to meals at restaurants) a couple other memebership cards that are necessary for other similar discounts and some of my business cards all in my wallet. I use my drivers license several times a week, you cannot write a check at the post office without having and showing your drivers license. Hunting licenses can be requested at any time when on public property during a regular hunting season and must be in your posession any time you have any game meat or fish in your posession. Since we shuttle venison from the locker plant in town to the house it's just easier to have it in my wallet than get it each time. We also have 3 vehicles so leaving these critical licenses in a vehicle won't work. Locally it's not uncommon for there to be routine traffic stops where the police check the drivers license, insurance and registration info on every car that passes, usually during holidays when they are also looking for potential drunk or stoned drivers. So I do need a wallet on my person at all times and really want it to be thin and include a notepad.

BTW on the identity theft issue. I have had my identity hacked, it's never been from a drivers license it's always been from credit card first that then spread.

John Ismyname

Registered
Thanks Oogiem; This shows that everyday carry is something personal that is dependent on the environment and circumstances. It was the proliferation of customer loyalty cards that made me abandon the wallet and pack "wallet documents" on an as-needed based on the context of what I do. I keep most of the them all in a business card holder in my car.

That's cool that you are a hunter! For "gun related maters", I also carry such docs (hunting permit, gun permit, concealed carry) with me as-needed.

I'm going to start a thread here on everyday carry as it will be interesting to see what GTDers here carry with them