Processes and checklists

clango

Registered
I’m preparing some list of the actions required for a recurring tasks.

I’d like to share some of them with people of the team.

Till now I used the professional laptop but now we live often in mobility, so I’m thinking to cloud services ( drive? Dropbox?) to access this files wherever you are with any devices.

Which are your experiences about? Which cloud service did you choose? How do you organize these files? How do you use to name each file to recognize easily the content?

Oogiem

Registered
Which cloud service did you choose? How do you organize these files? How do you use to name each file to recognize easily the content?
I am VERY cloud adverse especially for anything personal. BUT, I have used cloud services for things I had to share with coworkers. I settled on Google Drive with shared folders. I set the standard for filenameing YYYY-MM-DD_<main_Subject-subset_subject> and used Google standard files. I had one folder for shared checklists called Checklists and one for various other major functions.

So an example might be (this is not a real one but is similar to what I did)

2018-11-24_Sheep-Shipping_Procedure

AFG

Registered
I’m preparing some list of the actions required for a recurring tasks. ... Which are your experiences about? Which cloud service did you choose? How do you organize these files? How do you use to name each file to recognize easily the content?

I use MS OneNote, with all data stored on MS OneDrive. Personal for personal, company OneDrive for work stuff. 99% of my work is just me, not shared, but some is shared.

I post this reply not so much as a OneNote advocate, but just to note that it is a possibility. OneNote is "free" to just about everyone with a recent Windows PC, and has reasonably functional Mac, iPhone, and Android apps.

Naming conventions: the usual issues. Since I am not sharing much except with myself, I choose the best name I can imagine, like Shared_Notebook > Topic > pages, and then share the link with my coworkers. I also create index pages, etc. And rely heavily on search.

One big advantage about "database" systems like OneNote and Evernote, and unlike most filesystems, is that the "name" is really an incomprehensible unique ID. So multiple pages can have the same human-readable title. You can move pages around in the hierarchy, and links still work. One disadvantage is that the URL is not human readable, so you pretty much have to separate link name and display name.

Last edited:

clango

Registered
I use MS OneNote, with all data stored on MS OneDrive.
I didn’t know of such possibility. Thank you to share. However I’d like to use OneDrive as an external drive as a support. And I don’t know if I can have quick access with nonOffice software. Actually I think Nirvanahq should be my think tank with link to mindmap, spreadsheets, word processor generate by the software I use now.
As an example I couldn’t access an xmind file saved on GoogleDrive.
You are right the database link logic is helpful when you change the name of the file.