Overwhelmed by long lists?

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I rather prefer short lists. If a list gets too long, it might be a good idea to split it up. Maybe there are some further contexts that fit your actions better.

Is this content free of charge to read?
It is part of the Connect library, so you can’t access it without an Connect account. But you can sign up for the free two-week trial period to read it :)

Cheers,
Tristan

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
One more comment. If your lists are ridiculously long, then you have too many commitments. Now you need to create a backlog and renogiate your commitments to a manegeable level.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
One more comment. If your lists are ridiculously long, then you have too many commitments. Now you need to create a backlog and renogiate your commitments to a manegeable level.

I would not generalize this. It highly depends on the number of lists you use. Imagine someone using just one master list with let’s say 140 items (slightly above average). I wouldn’t per se consider this person overcommited.
But what we can agree on is that if your lists get too long you should have a close look at your system and renegotiate the way you are looking at your lists. Maybe this will lead to defining some items as backlog or it will lead to a different implementation of your lists.

Cheers,
Tristan

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I would not generalize this. It highly depends on the number of lists you use. Imagine someone using just one master list with let’s say 140 items (slightly above average). I wouldn’t per se consider this person overcommited.
But what we can agree on is that if your lists get too long you should have a close look at your system and renegotiate the way you are looking at your lists. Maybe this will lead to defining some items as backlog or it will lead to a different implementation of your lists.

Cheers,
Tristan
Agreed! I just looked at my context and projects lists and they're plenty long! :D

Geeko

GTD since 2017
Agreed! I just looked at my context and projects lists and they're plenty long! :D

Same here. Especially @Computer is much too long. For me it will be reasonable to split it into @Windows and @Linux since on my dual boot system both contexts are quite distinguished :)
Maybe that’s a task for a sunday evening – like now …

Cheers,
Tristan

Ger80C

Registered
Same here. Especially @Computer is much too long. For me it will be reasonable to split it into @Windows and @Linux since on my dual boot system both contexts are quite distinguished :)
Maybe that’s a task for a sunday evening – like now …

Cheers,
Tristan

The best next action in the Windows sublist would be to fully convert to Linux ;-)
But I know (writing this from a Win machine) that's not possible... :)

Ger80C

Registered
David's input in this is really helpful. What I struggle with again and again is deciding between next actions that relate to projects that more or less have the same priority, age and urgency. But this is something I have to resolve myself, no DA to come to the rescure here...

I must say I could not survive without my weekly or even daily "snack list" compiling just a few next actions for the day/week. The total amount of next actions is simply overwhelming for me at the moment. :-/ The best way for me is to do more weekly (-> bi-weekly) reviews to stay on top of things... Am I alone in this struggle?

Geeko

GTD since 2017
The best next action in the Windows sublist would be to fully convert to Linux ;-)
But I know (writing this from a Win machine) that's not possible... :)

That’s actually on my project list with a due date of 2020-01 when Windows 7 support will be discontinued. At the moment I use Windows mainly for my YouTube stuff but I’m already looking for alternatives. And I believe it is possible to make this transition without too many cutbacks ;) Let’s see how it ends up.

Rostane

Registered
Could happen, yes. So I try to stick to 3 important tasks a day, I use filters (contexts) to shorten long list and get rid of the stress !