Wikis?

JohnV474

Registered
Does anyone use a Wiki to organize their digital data?

I tried to use one as a GTD planner but it couldn't move fast enough (for my needs). However, I'm finding it's a great way to organize a lot of digital information because I can link to documents, websites, videos, etc., and also insert images, etc., as needed. I can then store my digital general reference stuff in the file folder with the most direct name ("Diesel engine modifications" or "My car--maintenance schedule") and still find that data under a more general Cars heading.

There are many wikis out there, some of which can be made portable (carry on a USB stick). I use Ubuntu (Linux) instead of Windows, and use Zim, which is a WYSIWYG wiki that moves fast, however, I have also tried MoinMoin, Tiddlywiki, Mediawiki, and Dokuwiki (also Dokuwiki on a stick).

If you have a particular interest in cars or gardening or whatever, it can make it much easier to find the information you're looking for! Between a wiki and Google Desktop, I can find everything very quickly.

Curious to hear what others have tried...
Johnv474

Stiernholm

Registered
TiddlyWiki is the one for me

John,

I use TiddlyWiki daily, like this: I create a TiddlyWiki-html-file for every new project, customer or joint venture (I run my own company).

The wiki for, say, my customer Acme, I name WikiAcme.html and in it I collect all important information regarding that assignment (I am a consultant), such as my own notes from a telephone conversation, my own thoughts regarding the project at different stages, what we have agreed upon in a meeting et c. I also copy/paste the content of every e-mail that I may need in the future. Since it is safely stored in the wiki (and very searchable), I can delete the e-mail in Outlook and enjoy the immense benefits of an empty inbox a couple of times a day!

David

JohnV474

Registered
Tiddlywiki

Stiernholm,

Glad to hear Tiddlywiki is working for you. I moved away from it primarily because I needed something that was more WYSIWYG. What I loved about it was that it was so portable, so I could access it from other computers with other OS's without even a Web connection.

It's good to hear that someone else has found success with it. I'm testing out using a wiki in a similar way. I love it when a piece of "gear" works well.

JohnV474

AFG

Registered
I've used many, many, wikis for such purposes. Starting from Ward's original wiki, through usdemodwiki, briefly zwiki, briefly moinmoin, Twiki for quite a few years, briefly tiddlywiki, mediawiki. Most recently my employer would like me to use Atlassian Confluence, but that's a big fail. Of these, the standalione wikis - usemodwiki, tiddlywiki - were the best, followed by twiki (which can be made standalone). For me, where I live, tools that require a network connection lose.

At the moment I am using OneNote in an almost wiki way. Works disconnected. Has not-really-very-good [[link syntax]] (big problem is that the page is created immediately).

I will have to try zim.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I am still looking for a way to build up a knowledge base for myself. I was thinking about a wiki but I don’t know how I could implement diffenent kinds of data (lists, mindmaps, …). My plan is having this knowledge base available on my LAN at home.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions which wiki might serve best for this purpose?
Thanks.

Cheers,
Tristan

AFG

Registered
For the folks currently using wikis, community or single-user:

How intercompatible are the various wiki markups? And/or text reps?

E.g. can you easily move content between zim and, say, mediawiki or confluence, without having to manually reformat?

Hi all - have any of you checked out Notion? I've been using it as my personal wiki for while now and it's fantastic.
I recently discovered GTD and have my complete setup in Notion as well... I haven't come across another app that will allow me the freedom and control with the features that Notion has.

https://www.notion.so/

msnjuegos

Registered
For the folks currently using wikis, community or single-user:

How intercompatible are the various wiki markups? And/or text reps?

E.g. can you easily move content between zim and, say, mediawiki or confluence, without having to manually reformat?

Sorry, I only have used Zim wiki so I can't tell you about moving the content, but I know I can export all data in markdown format or html, so I guess it's possible import data into other wikis that support markdown, but I am not sure about this.

Hi all - have any of you checked out Notion? I've been using it as my personal wiki for while now and it's fantastic.
I recently discovered GTD and have my complete setup in Notion as well... I haven't come across another app that will allow me the freedom and control with the features that Notion has.

https://www.notion.so/

Personally I prefer a open source software more than a freeware software, I think it is the most secure option for your data.

Reactions: AFG

AFG

Registered
Personally I prefer a open source software more than a freeware software, I think it is the most secure option for your data.

Amen!!!!!

I only reluctantly use OneNote

1) because I am not aware of FLOSS with the features I want - cloud based but works unconnected, OCR, ... plus convenience features like copy/pasting formatted text to Outlook. Although I am embarrassed because what I want should really not be all that hard to add to emacs .org-mode.

2) because other users at my company can use OneNote, although most do not. Whereas if I went with emacs .org-mode, nobody would be able to share.

—-

I have been thinking more and more about automating an export from OneNote facility.

Last edited: