Some Days I Feel I'm Ahead of the Wheel and the Next It's Rolling Over Me...

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have a sleep disorder that is treatable with medication, but there are ups and downs. For the last several weeks, it's been more down than up.

When I'm this poorly rested, it affects my cognition. My ability to concentrate is shot. I have fewer productive hours during the day. Often it's all I can do to keep my head above water.

I haven't been able to do a weekly review in about a month. My GTD systems are not optimal and I'm keeping stuff in my head.

There was a time when being in such a state would send my stress levels through the roof and ruin for me any possibility of enjoying life. I'd give up on the idea of doing anything meaningful, let alone any hope of "being good" at GTD.

But of late I've come to realize that just like anything else you do it doesn't matter how many times you get off track with GTD. You can get back on the wagon at any time. Just clearing out one inbox, or even doing a quick mindsweep can begin putting me back on track.

I'm sharing this because I've read more posts in this forum than I can count from people who struggle with falling off the wagon, and it's obvious that it's stressful and undermines their confidence not only in their GTD systems but in themselves. I want those of you who feel this way to know you're not alone, and I have learned that it's possible to get back on track any time your GTD practice is temporarily derailed. And that it's better to do GTD most of the time, the best you can, than to give up because you can't be perfect.

If anyone wants to share their own challenges -- or solutions for getting back on track -- I think that would make a great discussion. I'm happy to share with people what I've learned that has helped me.

MarcoDuan

Registered
Thank you for that. What you describe sounds very familiar and it is good to know I'm not the only one to experience such ups and downs in the GTD practice.

Corinne Kramer

Registered
Thank you for that. I am pretty new to GTD and I've already been on and off track a few times. I really struggle for some reason with resistance to systems. I go a few weeks, organizing everything, feeling great, and then one day come in to work and cannot make myself look at my inbox, check my projects. I am inefficient and filled with guilt on those days, and can't quite figure out a pattern to predict/avoid. I would appreciate anyone's tips to break this cycle.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Thank you for that. I am pretty new to GTD and I've already been on and off track a few times. I really struggle for some reason with resistance to systems. I go a few weeks, organizing everything, feeling great, and then one day come in to work and cannot make myself look at my inbox, check my projects. I am inefficient and filled with guilt on those days, and can't quite figure out a pattern to predict/avoid. I would appreciate anyone's tips to break this cycle.

It's tough to offer help without knowing more about what's causing the resistance, but here are a few thoughts that come to mind;
  • You mentioned that some days it's tough to review your "projects." Are you organizing your actions by project rather than context? That could cause resistance.
  • Are your actions defined as the very next physical, visible step you can take? If not you may want to refine those actions. (Such as "email Joe to schedule meeting" rather than set meeting with Joe, or "call XYZ gym re membership" rather than "join a gym.")
  • Are you truly committed to your list of projects and their actions? If not, it may be worthwhile to make sure you're clear about things at the higher horizons.
Do any of these ring true? If not, can you provide some more detail about your system to help us help you?

And don't feel bad. I've fallen off the GTD wagon more times than I care to remember.

ERJ1

Jedi Master
I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but I find it helpful to remember that anything without a deadline in my GTD system is there so I don't forget it, but something I really only need to worry about if I have the juice to take care of it. So, sure, some of those lists might be really long, but I don't HAVE to attend to every single item on that if I'm not feeling it.