Time/System - anyone using it in 2019?

Josh Mitchell

Registered
Hello friends!

I use a hybrid approach for my GTD system - but I must admit that I often experience shiny object syndrome and always like to check out new GTD tools... can you relate?

I currently use ToDoist and Michael Hyatt's Full Focus Planner. I love it -- and it's working well for me.

However, I have always been attracted to paper planners in binder format - but couldn't find on that really looked awesome.

In the Connect webinar on Areas of Focus, David Allen mentioned he used to be associated with the Time/System paper planner. I didn't know about this but now I'm intrigued.

Is anyone using this in 2019 in the states? Anyone using it anywhere else?

Could you share your thoughts and the best place to purchase?

https://timesystem.com - comes from Denmark - looks like this is has daily pages?

https://www.timesystem.us - on this site it only looks like there are weekly pages available, not daily?

RS356

Registered
The US website is certainly much improved since I last looked at Time/System, but it is still difficult to understand the system from the pictures. I'd be curious to see how this system differs from the DAC guidance on paper planners. I'm sure there are some similarities.

Josh Mitchell

Registered
He stopped using Time/System paper planner because other tools became more useful for him, like the PalmPilot.

Thanks @kelstarrising! I also found this post from 2007 for anyone who is interested:

Me and Time/Design

Short answer - nope, don't use Time/Design. Haven't since I began using my own printouts from early PC PIMs, then Palm after it was debugged somewhat, now the Treo, synching to Lotus Notes (in terms of action lists).

Some of you probably remember from a public post many moons ago, as I gave my history with Time/Design. When I worked for Insight Seminars, developing its division focused on business versions (1983-ish), we discovered TimeSystem in Europe, got it translated into English (it was only in Danish and German at the time), and acquired the rights to distribute it in the U.S. The name had to be changed to Time/Design for the U.S. market, because there already was a Time System company in the U.S. For many years I worked closely with T/D as a tool, as there weren't really any good personal planners, and its design, though paper-based, was far better than anything else around. Another company bought the rights to T/D in the 90's; and I was happy to go "tool-agnostic" as there were many other tools showing up, and I couldn't in all honesty say that a paper-based one was the best thing for everyone. (The folks who acquired T/D actually took the training design I had developed and incorporated a whole bunch of it into their "corporate training" they used to sell books... that's why some people have run across their seminar stuff and wondered howcum it looks similar to mine. Hmmm.... I wonder.)

Anyway, Time/Design still has the best-designed materials in the paper-planner world (we helped them with some of their key features, back in the 80's, like a folding page for action lists that you don't have to re-write!); their graphic look and feel is still superb.

David​

DavidAllen, Oct 11, 2007

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I remember that Time/Design has some kind of database that everyone is so excited about. I tried to look it up on the net but it seems like there is nobody who actually tells you how it looks like and how to use it.
I am still paper based but I am always looking for some better refills and this looks promising. Maybe someone can tell me more about it.
Thanks a lot already

Cheers,
Tristan

Josh Mitchell

Registered
From timesystem.com it looks like there are different tabs you can buy -- and a databank section you can add for projects maybe?

I reached out to the US company for details but haven't heard back. Will post if I do...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.10.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.10.04 PM.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 29

Daveaux

Registered
Hi Josh, i still User the timesystem papier version and the old programma from timesystem taskmanager
Both give me good Information About contact, projects, tasks and appointment
With the programm i print papier additionals from my time system organizer
I use this combination for many years and still with great Joy

Josh Mitchell

Registered
Hi Josh, i still User the timesystem papier version and the old programma from timesystem taskmanager
Both give me good Information About contact, projects, tasks and appointment
With the programm i print papier additionals from my time system organizer
I use this combination for many years and still with great Joy
From where do you purchase?

RS356

Registered
I remember that Time/Design has some kind of database that everyone is so excited about. I tried to look it up on the net but it seems like there is nobody who actually tells you how it looks like and how to use it.
I am still paper based but I am always looking for some better refills and this looks promising. Maybe someone can tell me more about it.
Thanks a lot already

The Time/Design planner was mentioned briefly in GTD podcast #52 on David Allen's ideal app at about 37:30. Apparently, the Databank feature allows the user to design a custom database on paper. Sounds interesting, but I don't know how this would work.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
If I recall, the data bank was a place where you could store information on various topics. In the screen shot above you'll see the numbered tabs. Anything you might put in a checklist, or other reference, could go in there. Back when I used it, there was a sort of table of contents page that had numbers 1–10 so you could write what contents of each section were. It was probably a stretch for me to call it a database, more like data storage. But they were on to something beyond calendar and to-do lists. The US site timesystem.us has been showing closed for maintenance for weeks. I'm not sure what's up (or down) with the company. If I went back to paper, Time/Design is what I would use. Around 1994 my car was stolen. I was more bothered by losing my Time/Design than the car. Miraculously, the police recovered the car two hours later, but the Time/Design was not in it.

RS356

Registered
If I recall, the data bank was a place where you could store information on various topics. In the screen shot above you'll see the numbered tabs. Anything you might put in a checklist, or other reference, could go in there. Back when I used it, there was a sort of table of contents page that had numbers 1–10 so you could write what contents of each section were. It was probably a stretch for me to call it a database, more like data storage. But they were on to something beyond calendar and to-do lists. The US site timesystem.us has been showing closed for maintenance for weeks. I'm not sure what's up (or down) with the company. If I went back to paper, Time/Design is what I would use. Around 1994 my car was stolen. I was more bothered by losing my Time/Design than the car. Miraculously, the police recovered the car two hours later, but the Time/Design was not in it.

I use a similar approach to the data bank for storing project support and reference information. Rather than 1-10 sections, I have simple A-Z index tabs.

John, I am sorry you had to go through having a planner and car stolen. Maybe the thief was really after the Time/System. GTD is career-agnostic, after all. Anyone can benefit from more focus and clarity! :D

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I use a similar approach to the data bank for storing project support and reference information. Rather than 1-10 sections, I have simple A-Z index tabs.

John, I am sorry you had to go through having a planner and car stolen. Maybe the thief was really after the Time/System. GTD is career-agnostic, after all. Anyone can benefit from more focus and clarity! :D

So true! I like to think that the affirmation section was useful to the thief. Or maybe the overall organization of the lists and calendar was inspiring. One thing I'm sure of is that whoever got it did not do any of the stuff on my next actions lists.

Berner

Registered
Electronic planners have significant advantages over paper. Having said that there is something inherently "more real" in writing things down on paper over typing things into electronic planners/organizers. I was just reminded of this today and may try Time design again (it had some nice features for paper). Alternatively DYIPlanner website may still work and if so, you can print out various kinds of planner pages for free.

David was a Time design trainer and I was in one of his classes in 1991 (everyone in my company took it). David likes to move fast and using electronic organizers (PDA at first) had advantages.

If you are sufficiently motivated, probably anything will work. Also, whatever you do, pick one system and stick with it.